Gunco Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for the Romanian/E. German folder stocks that were fixed open by welding... the ugly ones. I assume there are some of these still available, albeit not a very desireable part. I realized these would be a great starting point for a few pet projects and would like to find some. ANyone know where these may still be found?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Most places are "dewelding" their $23 fixed folders so they can sell them as $50 working folders. Shucks and other comments...
Tomac

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I just want "one" and I'm going to deweld, then caliper them out. I think these are probably the best "project" folder hinge to work with. That original wire stock is just ugly as sin and IMO just needs to go away. The ONLY thing I'd use it for is an STG-590 clone. I have an idea for Galil/FAL style stocks and may make some up. I was inspired by the Robarm VEPR folding stock attachment and think that would be easier to make than expected. Thus the need for just one. I got piles of bar stock in the garage and - assuming there isn't TOO much work involved - I could whip some up as a weekend project! ;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have been thinking about the same thing.
Seems like a main issue is having function when folded.
I am sure you will come up with a
good solution.

:thumbup1:

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update - wondered why my order didn't include this item, wasn't even on the invoice. This is the reply:

"This Romanian AK side folding stock is sold out, and we will not be restocking. We do have functioning Romanian AK side folding stocks available under p.n. AK112W, priced at $49.95."

:(

I don't know - maybe it will be worth $50. I think we can build a better Galil/FAL/FNC style folder and this would be the starting point. The FNC folder has one thing I don't like, and that's due to the way that FN built the locking lug, you have to push downward then fold. I think these Romys have a switch you push, then it swings freely - does anyone know?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yep, they've taken all their welded folders and restored the folding function so they can sell them for $50 like I mentioned earlier. The original Romy folders have a button you push in towards the rear of the receiver to unlatch the folder mechanism. A newer version has surfaced recently that has a lever like the EG folder. HTH...
Tomac

1 - 8 of 8 Posts