Gunco Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a Romy RPK kit from Apex, and I'd like to try and get the stock clor as close to original as I can. Does anyone have a tested/proven procedure for getting the correct color for the Romy stocks? I have done a BUNCH of stocks, but I have always given mine a bit more of a "Russian Red" look. I have that procedure down pat, but I haven't tried to reproduce the color of the Romy's yet. Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, since no one replied, I went with a very light sanding and applied my regular reddish stain, but immediately wiped it off, instead of allowing it an hour to really penetrate. It looks good so far, and appears to be pretty close to the original color. Tonight I'm gonna put some Minnwax sating poly on it and see what I've got. If it looks like it will be good, then I'll put several coats of poly, with 600 grit sanding between coats. The process I've been using for years comes out beautiful. Deep, deep, deep luster on the finish. Almost too pretty to be on an AK. LOL.

·
Registered
14,032 Posts
Yeah I can't believe no one replied

I looked at my kit but the finish is so grimy it's hard to tell what it should look like

·
White Cracker
13,576 Posts
2nd...

Tough to call on stains or colors.. Really a matter of choice..
Put a pict. up. Guys will give their opinions..
A real AK, not a closet AK..
Should be dragged behind a truck, soaked in salt water for a week, dunked in mud.. Left hanging in a tree to dry.. :)
That is what most all AKs in third world hands look like..
Only in America do we work hard, to make them a piece of art.
Bring it down here. I will show you how to put a finish on that weapon.. :)
Still hold the world record toss, 110 feet 7 inches.. Undefeated for 5 straight years now..

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
My Romanian AKs have wood finishes that vary between reddish brown and brownish red.

I'd bet the Romanians, not having a lot of money, bought the cheapest shellac available in bulk. This would be seed lac. From Buy Dewaxed & Waxy Shellac Flakes - Discount Pricing
The natural seedlac color is influenced by the sap consumed by the lac bug & the season of harvest.
shellac.net has two varieties that sound like colors similar to what I've seen on Romanian stocks: Bysakhi Seed Lac (rich warm brown) and Thai Seed Lac (rich warm red amber tone).

I don't know of any single "way" of finishing a Romanian stock because I don't think there's any single color that prevailed.

·
White Cracker
13,576 Posts
SJ.. You have that correct...

Stripping the shellac off the Romy's, you almost need 10 gallons of bleach and a belt grinder..
Was wondering what they used..
Damn. That stuff is almost bullet proof..

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah I wound up cleaning the stocks and giving them a very light sanding, and applied my own red formula. I didn't leave it on but a second though. I was only trying to mimic the look of what still had a shellac oover it. Touch up just the areas that were partially bare. Let that dry over night, and now all areas appear to be pretty close in color. Not enough to really tell much difference. Then I applied the first of many coats of Minnwax satin poly. Looks really good so far. Should turn out pretty nice. Don't have pics right now, but it's like a medium to dark brownish with just a hint of red.

4th, one of these days i'm gonna come down and take a shot at the record. LOL.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damn that is a beautiful stock set Gunnysmith!!! Thanks for posting that. Yeah theirs has a little more orange color to the stain.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
The Romanian stocks vary in color. *That* RPK stock has some orange in it, but I've seen Romanian RPK stocks that look a brownish ruby red. And other shades, too!

I really don't think there's a standard color for the finish. That's good news for a refinisher. As long as you're close, it's done "right".

APEX' picture:

·
White Cracker
13,576 Posts
Damn....

gunny. Excellent job on that..
Damn. Lost my picts. of Cambodia from the last trip a few years ago...
Box blew up and that flew, canal, reef. Got a new box..
My Bro has the picts. I will get them from him. Anyway..
The average Troop in Cambodia carries AKs that would make SJs picture their look factory mint.
They look like they were run over with a tank and left outside for years..
I am sure our new Vets "Sand Box" know what I mean..
Officers and higher ranks had the pretty ones..
The one gunny has, big $$$ here..
Over there.. 4 goats, a water buffalo, the village Chief's daughter and a box of beads.. :)
I am lazy and incompetent.. I like the battle field pick up look..
Saves all that sanding and staining stuff.. :)
Do like magnus did..
Damn I miss the dude..
Build it, drag it behind the truck for a few miles..
Real Mans AK.. :)

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's some pics of my "stock refinishing jig" with the stocks midway through the refinishing process. They still require more sanding and a few more coats of Minnwax.

Attachments

·
Gunco Veteran AK Builder
2,138 Posts
I sand the damaged finish off to good wood & coat it with several coats of clear poly ureathane & call it a day! Call me whatever you want, but the dark finish is gone & a lighter laminated finish is what is left!~

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.