Gunco Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know what's bad?-- Just came from E-bay where I flagged a couple of those and I don't have a clue as to what to do with them!

·
Registered
30 Posts
hcpookie: rotary tables are very cool on a mill. we used to have a sherline one in a robotics project lab. just dont go near the harborfreight one. a couple members on another board got them and are absolutely disgusted. the manufacturing quality compares to this ammo:D
http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20564
just look at that crack down the neck. the rotary table is made in india.
Good luck with your mill though, im interested to see what you might come up with on it! especially given your other intuitive work.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Winn R said:
You know what's bad?-- Just came from E-bay where I flagged a couple of those and I don't have a clue as to what to do with them!
Flagged what, a rotary table????

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
febisfebi said:
just dont go near the harborfreight one. a couple members on another board got them and are absolutely disgusted.
Hrm very interesting... you have any links to the discussion? I'm curious as to what they said. All HF stuff is imported, just like Grizzly stuff, and so if the quality is "good enough" then I'll get one.

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rotary table

Yes.

Maybe a poor man's lathe? Vertical mounting surface? How to arc without a spark? Another toy?

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Winn R said:
Yes.

Maybe a poor man's lathe? Vertical mounting surface? How to arc without a spark? Another toy?
Ah, yes! A poor man's lathe indeed. I look at it as a lathe "alternative". I would use it both ways- turntable pointing "up" or pointing "sideways". When you set it on its side you can precisely machine things in a radius and this could be handy. For example you *might* be able to turn down a barrel journal for insertion into a Chinese pre-ban rifle, but you'd have to make a jig to hold the barrel end. Put the barrel in the jig/turntable and use your end mill or fly cutter to mill into the journal.

Or you could put it pointing up, put a cyndrilical chunk of metal on the table, then offset from dead-center to the radius, and measure the radius every 60 degrees to mill holes for a 6-shooter revolver cylinder.

Ahh the possibilities.

·
Registered
30 Posts
pookie, sorry i looked through all the usual forums and couldnt find it, must have been a mailing list way back. but while i was looking around i found some info contradictory to that, saying that with the proper amount of tuning it can be very accurate. but honestly, i would not bother with it. a 4" chinese i believe can be had for $139 at littlemachineshop, which looks to be much better. I'd still do some research on it if I were buying it, but that place usually dosent carry crap. Be sure to let us all see it if you decide to get one of these! certainly is a cheap alternative to buying a lathe.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have three of them (10", 8" and 6")and they are really a necessity when you have a non-CNC mill.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
ENCO has a Phase II Hor/Vert table from 6" - $220 (93 lbs) to 12" - $430 (250 lbs??). At that weight you'll need a hoist....lol

ENCO's own Hor/Vert table is $359 - 8" (119 lbs) to $579 - 12" (200 lbs).

As I have said before, you can spend more money on mill tooling that the price of the mill.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I have the Phase II 10" and it is approx. 100lbs. My Yuasa 8" is the handiest of all and is about 50lbs. I never did get the hoist, that is why my back is shot.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Toten Kopf said:
As I have said before, you can spend more money on mill tooling that the price of the mill.
I wish I would have found these forums 6 years ago before I bought my Smithy!! I would have known to get a seperate Milll and known what tools to buy. I bought the machine and then found I'd have to spend a lot more to do anything with it. I'm finally just starting to use it for some small simple jobs. Oh well live and learn.:smile:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Winn
If You get the "lazy susan" only a lack of imagination will stop it's many uses.
The mag well dimple dies are easiest made on the rotary table.
I can imagine the uses you'll find for one. :headspin:

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Folks--

Mr. gtbehary has got a delightful, gigantic lathe that he's willing to part company with.

I've seen the monster and it's impressive. I've unfortunately filled the corner that I was saving for the rotating beam fatigue machine with a Bridgeport and I'm out of room in the shop.

I'm told, if I can figure out what I'm doing, that I can use a rotary table to turn a barrel. I gotta get one first.

·
Registered
825 Posts
gunnysmith said:
Winn
If You get the "lazy susan" only a lack of imagination will stop it's many uses.
The mag well dimple dies are easiest made on the rotary table.
I can imagine the uses you'll find for one. :headspin:
With all my tools, I still bought the dimple die set. Lazziness maybe or just helping out another fellow AK'er.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts