Gunco Forums banner

RPK optics poll

• Ultimak w/ pistol scope

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ulitmak w/ (enter you optics in your post)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright folks I need your opinion. What should I do with the lack of optic options for my underfolder RPK74? I have only two real options, to ultimak or not to ultimak. If I do get the ultimak then it opens up some optic options.
I'd like to get as many opinions as possible and some good info as to why that option might be best. Thanks in advance, you guys have helped a lot with this project of mine already.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Two votes in 36 hours?

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He He!! I love Gunco polls three votes, three different Votes.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep now the vote is split four ways, is there another forum on Gunco that I should have posted this in?

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
I have heard of problems with electronic sights on the Ultimak sight base due to heat transfer from the gas tube. If you were to use for high volume of fire then I think that would be a problem.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really, I have yet to see a post anywhere where someone did some damage to their optic on top of the gas tube. There's a thread going on over at ar15.com right now about that. Still, Some more opinions have popped up and the majority are saying "Stick with the Irons'"! Good to hear, thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
I read it about a year ago but can't find the post. I thought it might be on the Valmet/Galil board but it wasn't there.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've never handled an authentic RPK or RPK-74 clone but I really like the standard irons on my 20" NHM91. Still considering an upgrade to the windage adjustable RPK rear sight but it's not a neccessity. That extra 4" makes a world of difference compared to a standard length AK as far as I'm concerned, I can only imagine the sight picture on your RPK-74 is the same or better.

I've seen the pics of your rifle somewhere,I'd put the cash towards a 45 round mag.:smoke:

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
45 round? Bah, how about a fifty! :) He he I thought these were 45 rounders til I loaded them, 50 rounds. I bought two of them off Gunbroker.

The slot on the RPK rear sight is much narrower makeing it slightly harder to see the front blade. Esp in a hurry. I like the sights on my NHM-91 a lot better. Of course its possible the the narrow rear sight squeezes out a hair bit more accuracy I guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
Should have figured you already covered that base.:) The other pics I saw were with a 30 rounder installed. Thanks for the comparison of the different rear sights, now I'm curious about the Global Trades and older plastic Tapco versions. Now that opens a whole new can of worms regarding the Ultimak. Yet again, something I have no experience with so I'd say that ones gonna have to be your call. I've read a variety of posts about them over the years, none seemed to call it a "can't live without it" item nor did any make a convincing arguement that it's an optic roasting piece of junk. I'd only suggest a bunch of board searches before making the investment, they must be decent or alot more would be posted on the various For Sale boards.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Evil_WalksII said:
Thanks for the comparison of the different rear sights, now I'm curious about the Global Trades and older plastic Tapco versions. .
Sorry lost you, versions of what? Rear sights?
I wonder if a Krebs Kustom rear peep or a Mojo would improve matters.

Sticking with the Irons seems to be winning hands down still.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I would only go with optics if your eyes are shot (LOL, like mine), and then it should be easily removable so you can have the original iron sight configuration.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep Toten, that pretty much why I'd like an optic is that my eyesight is not great. I need to get some glasses or eye surgery, but I look for the cool quick fix, lol. The other part is that I am a novice shooter, I just need more time at the range.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Polish Taipan said:
Sorry lost you, versions of what? Rear sights?
I wonder if a Krebs Kustom rear peep or a Mojo would improve matters.

Sticking with the Irons seems to be winning hands down still.
Excuse me there, It was my understanding a year or so ago that Tapco's RPK rear sights were a U.S. made part and constructed of plastic. (don't know if they're still available or not) also, global Trades was supposed to be producing a variety of adjustable RPK type rear sights, supposedly calibrated for 16" bbls. and possibly others--I need to check their site, I've been out of the loop for awhile. I've never tried the peep sites but always an option you could explore if you stick with irons. Just a thought but perhaps you could experiment with ever so lightly filing an RPK rear sight leaf 'til it was opened up a hair more for a better picture?

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OH ok Evil, I never got to see the Tapco RPK sights, but Global still does sell theirs. I thought about taking the file to the rear sight, but hadn't braved it and not sure I really want to. I guess its ok, its just a LOT tighter than my other AK's sights.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How about this poll?

Let's find the part of a AK rifle that gets the hottest during firing and bolt a scope mount to that part. Making sure that scope mount is made of metal for maximum heat transfer. Then put a scope that has electronic parts and the mfg. specs(Aimpoint) say is designed to operate in a tempature range of -50 to +160 degrees.

How many rounds before the electronic parts are fried and fail?
o-100 rounds
o-200 rounds
o-300 rounds
o-500 rounds
o-1000 rounds

As you may have guessed I voted for "iron sights".

·
Registered
508 Posts
Jeez JA, you sure are the buzz-kill here!

LOL, so much for the Ultimak on the 5.56...

(I hate to mention the Krebs KTR receiver mount peep sight):whack:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts