·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rubbery weapons stretch school's patience

St. Petersburg, FL
By Times Staff
Published December 25, 2004
Where do you stand on the rubber band issue? Are they useful doodads for holding things together, or missiles capable of shooting someone's eye out?

In schools around the world, kids are launching wadded paper missiles, which they call birdies, tweeters, zombie darts, microshooters, hornets and wasps.

Whatever they're called, they pack quite a sting.

Says a Cincinnati master prankster (eighth-grader) who goes by Doctorworm32 at an online forum, the Prank Institute: "Got so bad teacher took away bands. People would come into class with welts on their cheeks."

Young Middle Magnet School of Mathematics, Science & Technology in Tampa, perhaps stretched beyond its limit, has banned the band. In a December newsletter, the Buffalo Bulletin, administrators warned parents and students.

- ELISABETH DYER, Times staff writer

"There have been recent incidences of students at our school using rubber bands as a method of projecting objects at other people. The students refer to some of the projectile objects as "wasps.' Occasionally, students are using their fingers to project the wasps. These activities have resulted in injured students.

"Rubber bands are not permitted at school. If students are in possession of rubber bands for any reason they will be subject to consequences that may include out of school suspension. When rubber bands are required for classroom use, they will be provided and collected."

-- Elisabeth Dyer can be reached at 813 226-3321 or [email protected]

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Oh, good grief.

I guess things have come a ways since all the boys in 8th grade had switchblade knives and would drive the teacher nuts by putting a straigh pin on the blade, which then would stick into the ceiling if you held the knife at the right angle when you pressed the button.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Do you know what those old knives are worth now if they are in good condition?

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Grendeljaeger said:
Do you know what those old knives are worth now if they are in good condition?
I have a switch blade knife that was issued to me when I was in the Army, in case I had to cut my way out of a parachute. It has orange handles and two blades, the hooked blade must be opened by hand, only the straight blade is operated by a push button. Do they still issue these knives?????

·
anyone seen my coffee cup
481 Posts
BAN THE RUBBER BANDS!!! do it for the children................ ;)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Grendeljaeger, please don't make me cry. Next you'll have me thinking about what the Beretta BM-59 I had as a teenager would be worth today.

DorGunR, dunno if those are still issued, but I've seen some for sale to collectors at pretty fancy prices. I used to have a Falshirmjaeger gravity-knife designed for cutting away parachute lines, but lost it long ago; I was taken by how a beer-bottle opener was built into the hilt.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dzerzhinsky said:
I used to have a Falshirmjaeger gravity-knife designed for cutting away parachute lines, but lost it long ago; I was taken by how a beer-bottle opener was built into the hilt.
Sounds like the Germans had their priorities right. :wink:

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
DorGunR said:
. Do they still issue these knives?????
I'm not sure but I don't think so. I know the older ones are collectable. The old Italian pick locks from the 50's can bring between $500-$900 and more, depending on condition, blade length, tang stamp(brand name) and handle material.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I remember in high school (many years ago) taking the realyy large (industrial) rubber bands and stretching them across the hall between two people and a third person shooting a full folded/taped sheet of paper at some poor unsuspecting saps ass.
Ahh, those were the days.

This has been going on for well over twenty years. Where do we draw the line at what we ban in the schools. Damn near anything a kid gets his hands on can be turned into a weapon. There was a boy in my sons school that really walloped a smaller, older female teacher in the head with one of his school textbooks recently. Should we now ban textbooks since people can be injured by them? We need to quit banning items and deal with the real problems, and discipline these kids better. Parents need to stop coddling their misguided/criminal childeren and get a handle on what they are doing. Knowing that there were going to be (and experiencing on occassion) real repercussions if I screwed up at school, home, or in public; kept me straight for the most part. Along with most of my freinds.
I've caught a leather belt across the ass once or twice in my lifetime. I don't feel I was abused, and still love my parents. And it kept me in step with society and what was expected of me as a person.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Grendeljaeger said:
I'm not sure but I don't think so. I know the older ones are collectable. The old Italian pick locks from the 50's can bring between $500-$900 and more, depending on condition, blade length, tang stamp(brand name) and handle material.
I can't remember when this particular knife was issued to me........between mid 50's to mid 60's...........just not sure when cause this may not be the first one that I was issued. The main blade is stamped at the base with.......
Schrade
Walden
NY USA

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cephus said:
DorGunR They still issue them same company and all the hook was to cut the risers away now they are sharper. But they only give them out on jumps now days as I have been told.
Yeah Cephus, I know what the hook is used for and both the blades on my knife are still VERY sharp.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
magnus392 said:
HHAHAHAHAHHAHA I used to do that shit all the time....I had paper missles that would put holes in the wall! IT took the 12" rubber band but they hurt!
If you were in my class young man, I have the others hold you down to that tablesaw for disciplining. Or maybe the bandsaw.
:wink::wink::lol::lol::lol::lol:
And they ask me why I never have any discipline problems in my classroom.
It helps if thery think you are just a bit crazy.

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
Strange Destiny said:
If you were in my class young man, I have the others hold you down to that tablesaw for disciplining. Or maybe the bandsaw.
:wink::wink::lol::lol::lol::lol:
And they ask me why I never have any discipline problems in my classroom.
It helps if thery think you are just a bit crazy.
IS that a promise? :D

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
magnus392 said:
Cool, be the most action I have had in an unmentionable amount of time! :d
But, I won't be wearing latex or leatherr. The chains and whips will still be available. LOL!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts