Gunco Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my stimulus check I haven't gotten yet is burning a hole in my pocket already. I am going to buy a firearm and suddenly the Ruger 5.7x28 has captured my attention. Anyone seen one? Own one? Shot one?

I own Ruger firearms and have never had an issue with any of them and frankly the cost here is a HUGE factor.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Seen one at the local shop, didn't finger bang it. If the choice is between the Ruger and the FN, the Ruger price point and more "conventional" layout would make it my first choice. The caliber is the deal breaker for me, pricey when there is no ammo panic shortage, "Oh my God" when there is and you can actually find a box. Reloading the empties is also somewhat finicky from what I understand. They have a coating that comes off if you tumble them and the difference between a safe load and ka-boom is pretty small.

Honestly, a regular 9mm gun re-chambered to .22TCM seems to have better ballistics with a smaller grip and the only cons being reduced magazine capacity due to the larger diameter case and slightly more recoil. Easier to reload as well. Without the restricted "armor piercing" load the 5.7 loses a lot of it's desirability, at least for me. I wonder what an SS109 steel core bullet would do in the TCM?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
More balanced than the FN It shoots smoother and fits my hand better yet it has a more "plasticy" feel. Im not a big fan of the steel magazines but they work well. sdk1968 let me shoot them side by side

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kernelkrink I hear what you are saying about ammo prices. Heck I went into a few places that carry guns and ammo and the only place that had ammo had 4 boxes of .220 Swift. One store has had a sign on their front door for weeks saying they have no ammunition. That same store has quite the supply of 30 round AK mags and 20 round AR-15 mags.

Pyrotex I am a die hard Ruger fan so I have no doubt in the quality. I appreciate the actual shooting experience report.

·
aka: SDK1968
7,741 Posts
So my stimulus check I haven't gotten yet is burning a hole in my pocket already. I am going to buy a firearm and suddenly the Ruger 5.7x28 has captured my attention. Anyone seen one? Own one? Shot one?

I own Ruger firearms and have never had an issue with any of them and frankly the cost here is a HUGE factor.
ive got one & did a side x side with the FN herstal... its posted here somewhere.

if it disappeared let me know & i'll re up it.

great gun for the $$ vs the FN. fits the hand better, lower center mass, great shooter. half the price of my FN's.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive got one & did a side x side with the FN herstal... its posted here somewhere.

if it disappeared let me know & i'll re up it.

great gun for the $$ vs the FN. fits the hand better, lower center mass, great shooter. half the price of my FN's.
Thanks for the info. I'll look for your post.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay I was at a LSG the other day and they didn't have a Ruger 5.7 but they did have a PMR-30 in .22 magnum. I have long wanted one of these and this got me going on that again. They had 2 in the case for $450. I liked the way it fit my hand and if I hadn't had my mind set on seeing a Ruger 5.7 I would have bought it right then and there.

So I was in Nashville with my wife so i went to Bass Pro / Cabellas to see if they had a Ruger 5.7 and of course they did. I liked the way that felt in my hand too but it was $750. Bonus was they had 3 boxes of 5.7 ammunition.

Now I am torn between the 2. Obviously my wallet likes $450 better than $750. But is that really a good deciding factor? With out the penetrator bullets being available for the 5.7 to defeat ballistic armor is it that much better than the .22 magnum? 30 shots should be quite convincing.

·
aka: SDK1968
7,741 Posts
ive got a PMR 30 & the CMR 30. they are great fun. little cheaper to shoot than the 5.7...

not nearly as devastating on live "creatures" though.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ive got a PMR 30 & the CMR 30. they are great fun. little cheaper to shoot than the 5.7...

not nearly as devastating on live "creatures" though.
I guess I'm looking at 30 rounds of .22 mag causing substantial damage whether you go center mass or pelvic region.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts