Gunco Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I ordered one and found out the hard way. I checked into it and a Firing Line milled receiver will run about $400. Then you have to headspace it. Which is no problem for experinced AK builders, but I am just starting out with stamped receivers (much more to learn). It would be a nice peice when you get it finished though.

T M

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
So the Sportsmans Guide kits are for the threaded milled receivers... Dang, I was hoping they might be the pinned barrel type.

How was the condition of the kit? Was the bore in decent shape? What about the handguards and pistol grip? Was it a matched numbers kit (not really necessary, but nice if it is)?

The threaded barrels can still be turned down in a lathe to fit a stamped trunnion, so all is not lost.

·
Registered
135 Posts
They actually sent me the wrong kit. I got a underfolder (ordered a fixed stock set). The bore was great, the metal finish was good, and the wood was uhhh. I asked about trying to use it on a stamped receiver, but I do not have a milling machine, and from what I could understand it was alot of extra work.

T M

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
A 40 doller trunion and a stamped reciever will be a big help to you instead of a milled reciever.. not a great big deal. just get the proper trunion

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes its a treaded barrel kit. And mine looks great. Shows next to no wear except a little on the barrel right at the front sight (just a little shinny). The furniture is a very dark almost plum color. And all the number match and there is a ton of russain writing on it. Once I get it cleaned up I will try and post some pics.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Why not buy a cheap SLR-101, widen the mag well, and sell off the leftover parts?

You could have a nice Bulgarian milled rec for <$200.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
erikk said:
Thought it was too good to be true!!

Besides, they are too expensive, when Global was selling the Polish Underfolder they were about the same price, and they were a stamped receiver.

Hold on to your money guys, I have a feeling we are going to see some good kits soon.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Doesn't sound horrible. In fact, I could probably turn down a barrel or two, if someone could give me the exact diameter of what it needs to be.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Tobacco Man said:
They actually sent me the wrong kit. I got a underfolder (ordered a fixed stock set). The bore was great, the metal finish was good, and the wood was uhhh. I asked about trying to use it on a stamped receiver, but I do not have a milling machine, and from what I could understand it was alot of extra work.

T M

I didn't see the underfolders listed on the site. Do they advertise these too?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
yosuthnmasa said:
You need to start building those 1919's you have first!

·
Registered
133 Posts
ORF supposedly has a Milled receiver coming

Todd at Ohio Rapid Fire says that they will be making a T2 typemilled receiver,
so that we can use the milled T2 Russian kits that are out on the market.
Not sure exactly, time-frame wise, that this is supposed to be available, but he
does state that they hope to have samples available for the SHOT show.

Here is the link to that talk, over at ARFCOM:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=66605

They are saying that some kits out on the market are T2 type, some T3. I don't
know the nit-picks between the two types.

He did say that they will make them so that the barrel will have to be turned down,
as supposedly getting the threads right, for all the variants, wouldn't be possible.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Mbsk01 said:
Why not buy a cheap SLR-101, widen the mag well, and sell off the leftover parts?

You could have a nice Bulgarian milled rec for <$200.
Do you really think this is a feasible idea? Do you think you could make enough off the parts to only have around 200 in the receiver?

·
Registered
135 Posts
yosuthnmasa said:
I did not see them listed either, and my packing slip was the correct # for the fixed stock. They may have them for sale later, or it just might have been 1 mixed up with the fixed stock ones?
T M

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
It is hit and miss with the quality from Sportsman's Guide. The underfolder kit i received was a mess! Lots of rust, came with a Galil lower handguard, Yugo pistol grip, no upper handguard.

·
Registered
65 Posts
These milled Russian Ak make for a great addition to your collection , even though they are costly to build ..

here is a underfolder that im working on.. leaving it in origional finish ..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts