Gunco Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '51 Tula original. It came with a friction-fit safety, which rather surprised me. I presume that eventually they become loose, at any rate I didn't like it at all compared to the spring-loaded safety that had been on my otherwise-inferior Norinco SKS. Anyway, I got a trigger job done on the trigger group and had the fellow make the safety spring loaded. After all that blathering, here's the question for folks out there with Russian originals...

Does your have a friction fit safety?

Seemed weird to me.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Look at the post Russian SKS Safety Warning

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bigblock said:
Look at the post Russian SKS Safety Warning
Where? I looked to see if there was a sticky by that title in this forum, and didn't see one, tried "Russian SKS Safety Warning" in the search engine and all that came up was this thread.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
MR D I couldn't find anything here either so I looked around and found this. I hope it helps buddy.

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Gorge/4653/sks_slamfire.htm

"Some of the Russian SKS rifles do not have a spring to keep the safety lever in place," wrote Kurt R. Johnson. "The safety lever has been altered so it would stay in place by friction fit. As the lever is used, it will become loose and flop back and forth from the 'safe' to the 'fire' position!

"There is no indication that the SKS was originally designed to function without the safety lever spring. Its omission may have been due to a spring shortage during production or rebuilding.

"Only those rifles manufactured on Russian soil seem to have the problem. The safety problem does not appear to affect the collectible 'Russian, made in China' SKS rifles, or the 'Chinese,' 'German' or 'Yugoslavian'- made," Johnson continued in his effort to help keep the shooting sports and industry safe.

"As a licensed dealer I have examined hundreds of SKS rifles with this potentially dangerous condition. Any capable gunsmith can replace the safety lever spring and refit the safety lever."

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Grendeljaeger.

I think the "spring shortage" rationale is a bit thin, myself, but who knows? Mine's a '51 and the Korean War was going hot and heavy at that time, maybe it was the product of having to manufacture weapons as quickly as possible and not being able to wait 'til the spring shipment comes in on Thursday.

I'd read someplace that some refurbs had friction-fit safeties, that sorta made sense just because there seems to be little standardization with reagard to just what any one particular armorer did when refurbishing a SKS. But was suprised that my original had one.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The Russian made SKS that were made from 1949 to mid 1952 never had the spring safety. It was a improvement and you will find it on some 1952 and newer Russians.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, bigblock!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts