Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, took the Tiger out for the first time today. Only purchased a box of 20 Wolf 148grain ammo, just to see if it cycles okay.

It felt really good. I was suprised but it had a noticabley lighter recoil than the Mosin Nagants. Also, talk about muzzle flash and muzzle blast! Friend was shooting this M44 Mosin. The M44 flash beside of the Tiger is like comparing a match to a bon fire. Very impressive to watch but I can see why the true SVDs has flash hiders. Hopefully I will be premitted to fix this injustice this Sept :) In the mean time, I need to search for a way to do it. I would like to get a threaded front site base with entact bayonet lug. However I think that is wishful thinking. Anyone seen these for sale?

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
How well did it group?

Was the function OK?

Glad it came in!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'm ashamed to say about the groupings....seriously. My eyesight is getting worse and I'm still not used to firing high powered rifles. Let me put it this way, I was shooting a targe at ~ 40yards. At that point I had a hard time seeing the hand drawn circle in the target. It did significantly better than I did with the Mosin. Kicked a lot less too...not sure if that is because of bullet weight or because of the semi-auto action. Any ideas? I hope to get a 4x-8x variable scope in the next couple of months. At that time I will try and do a range report.

Functioned flawlessly. It had a really nice feel to it. Also, I was shooting it without any support. I'm positive I can do better off of a bi-pod. The trigger felt much smoother than my Mosin. I know that is apples to oranges but they are the same caliber.

Did I mention it had a monsterous muzzle flash? :smile:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
If you load your own, you can reduce muzzle flash by selecting powders that don't cause that kind of signature.

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
mbakercad said:
. My eyesight is getting worse and I'm still not used to firing high powered rifles. At that point I had a hard time seeing the hand drawn circle in the target. I hope to get a 4x-8x variable scope in the next couple of months.
I'll share some of my experiences--

On seeing the target, I use those Day-Glo Post-it notes.

Iron sites or at a real distance call for the big four by six. Closer or with the scope, they've got a little one at about one by two.

I shoot to see what the rifle will do. 99% of my shooting is off a sandbag-- or rather rice bag.

Triggers are usually the first things I go to work on.

And I'm now smart enough to always wear ear protection.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Winn R said:
I'll share some of my experiences--

On seeing the target, I use those Day-Glo Post-it notes.

Iron sites or at a real distance call for the big four by six. Closer or with the scope, they've got a little one at about one by two.

I shoot to see what the rifle will do. 99% of my shooting is off a sandbag-- or rather rice bag.

Triggers are usually the first things I go to work on.

And I'm now smart enough to always wear ear protection.

Good idea with the Post-it notes. I will give that a try for sure.

I have never tried shooting off sandbag or rice bags for that matter :) I may give that a try someday also.

Thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
Toten Kopf said:
If you load your own, you can reduce muzzle flash by selecting powders that don't cause that kind of signature.
He?s impressed with the flash! I think hand-loading ammo doesn?t matter right now, Maybe later as the newness of it wears off he?ll look at reloading to improve the flash but for now just enjoy it, we all did at one time. I for one have started to enjoy the recoil more than I have in the past 46 years of shooting, might be because the eye sight is getting worse and I can?t hit pennies with open sights at a hundred yards with a .22 like I did as a kid.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Oldgunner said:
He?s impressed with the flash! I think hand-loading ammo doesn?t matter right now, Maybe later as the newness of it wears off he?ll look at reloading to improve the flash but for now just enjoy it, we all did at one time. I for one have started to enjoy the recoil more than I have in the past 46 years of shooting, might be because the eye sight is getting worse and I can?t hit pennies with open sights at a hundred yards with a .22 like I did as a kid.
Hmmmmmmmm. I was never one to enjoy muzzle flash or recoil. I just took it as part of the game. I always thought it was kinda funny seeing people shoot their guns with heavy muzzle flash (like they wanted to burn the target instead of putting a hole in it)or recoil, like they were getting more FPS which in their mind meant better accuracy. I understand that for people that don't reload, you shoot what you have.

To shoot a penny at 100 yds with metalic sights is quite a feat. And with a .22 no less. You must have been using a 1413/1813/2013 target rifle with Eley Red box. Did you shoot competition? If so what discipline?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
yeah that is about the only FH that is avaible for the TIGR, is the ones form dragunovparts. com...........original ones witht the hooded sight w/bayonet lug are not availble anywhere.......believe me I have been looking for one for that last couple of years.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
magnus392 said:
Mbaker, did you build your rifle or buy it? IF you built it who did you get your reciever from?

Updated pic of the Tiger.

This is a factory built rifle. Tiger parts kits nor receivers are available. Ohio Rapid Fire is kicking around the idea of doing a Dragunov receiver but I have not heard any updates on this for awhile.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Winn R said:
How well did it group?

Was the function OK?

Glad it came in!
Up until this year, I have only ever did plinking. Since I got the scope for the Tiger this past Christmas I decided its time to get serious and see how well I can shoot.

This weekend I did my best grouping yet. Shooting the Tiger at 100yards I got a 5 shot 2.3" grouping. I'm sure I can improve on that with practice. I'm also wanting to experiment with some more pricey ammo. Perhaps some S&B or Lapua.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
magnus392 said:
Where did you buy the Tiger? Sorry I don't mean to be pestering ya;)
Not at all.

I got it off the Equipment Exchange board of ARFCOM. They have been selling between 1400-1700 in the past few months. Gunbroker has some up to $1900 last time I checked :eek:

Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts