1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
French ex-hostage says Iraq kidnappers linked to Al Qaeda
(Reuters)

30 December 2004

DUBAI - A French hostage who was released last week after four months in Iraq said his kidnappers grouped militants linked to Al Qaeda and former members of ousted president Saddam Hussein?s ruling party.

Journalist Christian Chesnot told Arabic newspaper Asharq al-Awsat newspaper in an interview published on Thursday the men who were guarding him and fellow French journalist Georges Malbrunot included ?fundamentalists? and former Baath officials.

The two were kidnapped by a group calling itself the Islamic Army in Iraq. They returned home on December 21.

?The group, as far as we understood, was made up of former Baathists, including the body guard of the personal secretary of Saddam Hussein,? Chesnot was quoted as saying.

?In addition, there are also youths who told us they had been trained in Afghanistan on making explosives and who referred to (Al Qaeda leader) Osama bin Laden as Sheikh Osama.?

Sunni Muslim militants such as the Islamic Army in Iraq have staged several suicide bombings in Iraq and taken many Westerners hostage. The most violent group has been that of Al Qaeda ally Abu Musab al-Zarqawi acknowledged by bin Laden as the network?s leader in Iraq.

The United States, whose army led the 2003 war that toppled Saddam, has repeatedly said ex-members of the largely secular Baath Party members were involved in the insurgency in Iraq and that they are working with militant groups -- their former foes.

Chesnot said their guards had told him that the Islamic Army in Iraq had between 15,000 to 17,000 fighters. ?Where is the truth, where is the publicity, I don?t know,? he added.

Chesnot, 37, works for Radio France Internationale while Malbrunot, 41, is a Le Figaro reporter. They said they were not mistreated during their captivity.

Both journalists are Arabic speakers who have long worked in the Middle East. Last year, they published a book on Saddam?s rule entitled ?L?Irak de Saddam Hussein: portrait total? (Saddam Hussein?s Iraq, A Complete Portrait).

The men were kidnapped along with their Syrian driver on Aug. 20 as they drove to Najaf from Baghdad. Their kidnappers demanded France repeal a ban on Muslim headscarves in state schools, but Paris rejected the demand.

Their captors have taken other Westerners hostage, including Italian journalist Enzo Baldoni, who was killed on Aug. 26.

·
Registered
145 Posts
No, no, no Custer, don't you listen to the Dems? There is NO connection between Saddam and Terror!

Now don't you go screwing up their logic with the truth! :nono2:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Speaking of logic...

We toss the Baathists out of power and they then begin kidnapping foreigners and link up with the al Qaeda. Therefore there is a link between Saddam Hussein and the al Qaeda.

Custer, aviator, pzjgr, if you can't take your medications more regularly, at least enroll in an undergraduate logic class.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bush bad. He caused the link after the invasion.

30 years experience but the same experience 30 times.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Custer said:
Bush bad. He caused the link after the invasion...
Well, you can go ahead and say that Bush is bad on that account. I think it'd be a little weird, myself. Almost as weird as saying that there was a link between Saddam Hussein and the al Qaeda because after Saddam Hussein was in US custody a link was established between the ousted Baathists and the al Qaeda.

Actually, if I take that logic for a spin, I find it kind of amusing:

We were justified in invading Iraq because it was a legitimate part of the larger War on Terrorism, specifically war upon the al Qaeda who perpetrated the 9/11 atrocity. We know that there was a link between the Saddam Hussein regime and the al Qaeda because after we invaded Iraq, after we ousted Saddam Hussein from power, and while we had Saddam Hussein in custody, members of his political party established ties with the al Qaeda.

It took well over a year after the invasion for the justification to happen, but the invasion was justified.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I said, 30 years experience but the same experience 30 times.

I still like ya though.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
Speaking of logic...

We toss the Baathists out of power and they then begin kidnapping foreigners and link up with the al Qaeda. Therefore there is a link between Saddam Hussein and the al Qaeda.

Custer, aviator, pzjgr, if you can't take your medications more regularly, at least enroll in an undergraduate logic class.
STOP.

You left one part of the equation out.

Can you say there was no link to Al Qaeda before?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
aviator said:
STOP.

You left one part of the equation out.

Can you say there was no link to Al Qaeda before?
Not trying to. Actually, I think there was none or it was greatly over-stated, but that's a bit of a separate issue.

I'm saying that it is astonishingly silly to say - as this thread does - that there's a link between the al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein because a link has been established between the ousted Bathists and the al Qaeda.

The link referred to in the article definitely was established after the US invasion had removed Saddam Hussein from power and quite possibly while Saddam Hussein was in US custody.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah. Before this they were just strangers in the night. Exchanging glances.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
But, if your train of logic was to apply:

They both hate the US
They both are of the same religious faith
They both have been attacked by us before

Wouldn't it follow to say that they both work together towards a common goal? that is, to try to eliminate us by joining forces, long before our invasion of Iraq and consequently leading to 9-11.

Now, I am not saying go to war against every country that hates the US, but those that support and commit terrorist acts that endanger our way of life.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
aviator said:
...Wouldn't it follow to say that they both work together towards a common goal? ...
Well, that perhaps would follow if you really believe that we accord Saddam Hussein enough privileges while he's in custody to work together with the al Qaeda. While I'm a firm believer in protecting prisoners' rights, even I don't think they extend quite that far.

When this link was established he was either living in a spider hole or in US custody, from the timing I think it was more likely the latter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts