Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sage Advice: Topping Off Ammo and Rounding Out Gun Collections Before July

Snippit:

At a recent gun show here in The American Redoubt, I had an interesting conversation with a Vietnam War veteran who is mostly a dealer in ammunition handloading components. As we spoke, he was sitting at his table behind a quite tall pile of cardboard cases of cartridge primers, packaged with 5,000 primers to the outer case. The subject of the upcoming presidential election came up, and I asked him if that is why he had such a large inventory of primers. He responded in the affirmative and then added: “Every time there is some sort of political crisis, I sell out of primers within a couple of weeks. Sometimes the shortages of primers and some types of powder go on for months. So this time I stocked up pretty good. What you are looking at here is not my entire inventory; I have more than twice this many primers sitting in reserve at home.”

Continued: https://survivalblog.com/sage-advice-topping-off-ammo-and-rounding-out-gun-collections-before-july/

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I've got >20k primers of each flavor and 82 lbs of different powders so on that count I'm golden. A bit more X39 and a few flavors of projectiles might be prudent, but I have darn near a ton of lead from that old sail boat keel I salvaged and have plenty of molds to cast with. I do need some hunting type projectiles though and possibly some more pulled ball, AP and tracer wouldn't hurt to add ?

Otherwise,,all good here. But I always did keep a good stock of everything normally anyways, so I won't let any panic buying BS effect me at all, just as with the last panic!! I was way ahead of the game and even had a couple local shops asking to buy supplies from me to resell to keep there customers coming in the doors.

Let the panicing buying begin!!! Yet Again,,,,,,Gezzzzzzz

·
aka: SDK1968
7,818 Posts
dude that is awesome.

for you guys that reload? thats great!

i just stockpile ammo ready to go.

but i do save brass for you reloaders.

·
NoWorkCamp4Me
5,546 Posts
I hope to take all my gun related gear when I move. I may have to let some of it go.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Yup, and plus on top of all that I have well over 100k loaded factory rounds on stock too, and tons of home rolled hunting and defense ammo on top of that.

I lost count around 120 k ish and have been just to lazy to go through each 20 &40mm can to count out just how much I actually have,,but definatly plenty !! That's why I can go out and blast whenever I damn well feel like it and not even worry about how much I do have left. I won't be running out anytime soon.

That's why some of my Buds that have shops were hitting me up the last few panics when they couldn't find stuff. Sucks to be them now don't it? :lol::lol:

I have my friends at Century Arms and a couple other major dristributors to thank for the early heads up when the first panics hit, so I listened to them and got what was needed well before all this bull shit hit the first time around.

Actually I first started when the first clinton was in office so even though it's been an expensive journey, it's been much cheaper building my stocks before all these panics hit and I'm not disapointed I Iistened to there advice.

If a possible "pre hillery election panic" ,, hits again is anyones guess ??? Which I'm sure it will BTW!

But Honestly I think most people are just talking themselves into a panic half the time. But then, those are the ones that didn't stock up,even the occasional shooters included.

I don't know though,,growing up with a Pa that had a shop, seeing huge piles of ammo crates are the norm for me so even pallets look normal to me ! Others may see a single case of ammo and they think you got ,,,"all the ammo in the world". But those are mostly folks with 1 or 2 guns. For me, a case can disapear in a week end pretty easy when I feel like going out shooting,,no problem at all !

That's why I keep ahead of the game,I must shoot up at least 10+K a year pretty easy. I'm not a horder and it has nothing to do with prepping at all, I just like to shoot ! That's why the"ammo dump",,,,,:lol::lol:

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
I keep enough lead I got to cast for the BP rifles and caps along with pyrodex.That and the 44 is all I reload for anymore. Never was my biggest part of the shooting sport. Not saying I didn't have progressive presses but that time is past for me. Oh, and 45 long colt.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If I understand the jest of the article its about having plenty of ammo on hand for SHTF scenario. So this is my comment.

I had a nice talk with an individual associated to a high level money man and this is what I was told in a nut shell.

The gobermint is falsifying GDP and un-employment numbers big time and We are in the beginning of a MAJOR recession. This collapse is going to be ugly. Most people especially those on a fixed income will be in trouble. Their money wont pay for the essentials that they need to live. The guy did mention a strategy for saving your wealth but didn't elaborate beyond buying silver. He believes silver may go up 4-5 times over current spot price. Meaning not only can you preserve your wealth you can grow it with silver. Other precious metals may go up but not by the same margins.

Bottom line is its going to be bad. Most people will not be able to pay for food. Things like ammo will take 2nd place to food and other essentials. If you have the money to buy ammo or reloading supplies you had better buy them now while you can.

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
Thank you Brokengun as well as Black Blade. The world wide economy is in shambles for the most part and this country in particular has its own share of political problems to go along with it. During these cycles America is in I encourage people to vote. Not just here on this site but personally, face to face. All the ammo in the basement isn't going to pay the light bill,buy the groceries and so on.VOTE please. Rant over.

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
Oh,I still have the Marlin bolt action 22 and a box or two of boolits.:naughty:

·
7,818 Posts
TWA,

while im not gonna say exactly how much ive got stocked... its "enough"..

but like you, im not a prepper or a EOTW'er... im a shooter first & realist 2nd..

realism is that ammo is money or anything else you need in the future.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I suspect that after Hillary wins the election there will be a huge buying frenzy with many going deeper into debt to snatch up all they can before she's sworn in. Unfortunately at that point the shelves will be stripped bare and prices through the roof. With her anti-gun speeches and her husband's anti-gun bills during his presidency, it is a sure bet that she will be using her EO powers to cut off foreign guns and ammo imports and that will be the end for "cheap" bulk ammo and milsurp arms, ammo and accessories (especially mags).

I hope she doesn't win but the odds are she will because Progs and moderates want to "make history" by electing a woman. After all, that's how Obama got elected - because he's a Halfrican. That didn't work out so well either but it's the same mentality. So it would be a good idea to beat the rush now and stockpile what you can. Could be the last chance we have.

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
I think we all know that unless the demo/repub doesn't follow the cycle she will be the first female queen of the rainbow house. And if you haven't already begun to buy it's time to stock up. 4 years ago more people began to buy more firearms and ammunition that I personally know that had never purchased their own handgun. And they were veterans for God's sake. The first four years had them thinking anyway.:dunno:

·
White Cracker
13,576 Posts
Good thread and well said by all. Yup I will bet a case or two of beer come September, October were going to see a gun and ammo buying frenzy like this country has never seen before. Just the thought of anti gun Hitwit getting elected or God forbid the worthless Sanders they will go after gun rights like we have never ever seen before.
Still a lot of good deals out their but I don't think they will last? Whoever wins the election some people aint gonna be happy.
PREP.

·
Registered
15,204 Posts
Hmmm while I think it may be wise to have extra ammo all the if xxxx wins the world will turn to crap an what not I cant help but feel a lot of this fear mongering will only exasperat more ammo shortages an higher prices.
Better to get what you need or want personaly an leave the ammo an gun sales drive to the dealers who are also inciting this crap to drive up profits.

Remeamber when everyone didnt think they needed 500,000 rounds of 22 ammo an you could actualy buy what you really needed because some A hole didnt buy it all at walmart at 7AM to resell to idiots who will pay three times to much to stockpile for a zombie chipmunk invasion?

·
7,818 Posts
Honestly past the point of caring which idiot ends up in there... it means nothing.

Trump would be powerless & Hillary is useless...

So we get what we want when we want it & do as we please.... depend on no one. Way easier.

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
TNO.when it comes to politics,ammunition and food. Trust no one but yourself.TNO. vote,buy and in my case take care of family and friends. But...

·
NoWorkCamp4Me
5,546 Posts
I'm cleaned out. They took everything that wasn't in my gun safe. After reading this post I looked at my bookshelf that held 11 large and small GI ammo cans filled with 7.62x39, .308, 30/06, 45acp & 45colt. They left me two 30rd boxes of Lapua 7.62x39. I checked my footlocker that held my Kobra red dot, my Aimpoint red dot, and my 9 east german teardrop pouch filled with 30rd AK47 loaded magazines. My YUGO wooden ammo box that held 16 brand new Tapco 30rd magazines are gone. My dresser drawer that held about 25 1911 new and used 7 & 8 rd magazines are gone. My son and his girlfriend who live in my basement bedroom are heroin addicts. My stepdaughter who just did 18 months in prison just got out and came here less than two weeks ago. Hell, they took the 8 brand new PSA AR15 thirty rd magazines I bought in Feb and had sitting on my floor next to my computer.

·
7,818 Posts
rails is this part of a post from another thread?

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
A.it should be part of the moving thread.

B.you're allowing convicted felons with opiate addiction in the house. They chose dope over you Mike. You owe them NOTHING but a fukn return to jail.

C.again, don't move and let the scumbags know your address. Simple.

D.I guess now you see the relevance of my last post.

E.I'm done with you bob.eat sh*t.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts