Gunco Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there are barrel makers out there, why can't one press out the barel pin, remove the barrel, remove the pinned on gas block, then have a barrel turned on a lathe to the right diameter, drill a hole for the gas block and then press on a 260 Remington (6.5mm bullet) barrel or a .243 (.243 dia bullet) onto the Saiga? The bolt would be the same, and the magazine would hold the same as well, especially the .260 Remington as I have some of the empies and they fit perfectly in the magazine.

Looks like a nice change of calibers to somehting less recoil, faster and with the 260 Remington further shooting with better bullet BC.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I don't see why not. No changes to bolt head/extractor or to mags should be required. Perhaps some different tuning of the gas port.

I especially like the 6.5 bullet. Another idea would be the 6.5 Grendel, necked down 7.62x39....

·
Registered
15,204 Posts
Its been done ( I KNOW FOR FACT) in both the caliber's you mentioned as well as 22-250 and 7mm-08. I am working on a 358 win barrel idea with a guy currently. it may require a mag mod as the bullet is bigger. the 260 will work as is. there is also also a guy I spoke to who wanted to to a 6.5 creedmore. I personally am looking at doing a 6mm-284 or possibly a 6.5-284. i need to do some bolt thrust calculations first .

in regards to the 22-250 keep in mind that there is a lot more pressure with this round so hand load accordingly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts