Gunco Forums banner

Saiga 410

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Seadog 
#1 ·
I have a question that may be dumb... Some old 410s could shoot 45 long. Granted they were break opens, but does the saiga 410 have any posabilitys in this area of shooting the 45 long or would it be a bad idea? Could it work?

#3 ·
What if the mag was modified more like a Galil blank mag? Would that work? The round has a rounded front end that would help it be a little more forgiving in the chambering process... what do you think about that?

#5 ·
I've never been a fan of slugs in a .410. If you want a single piece of lead, go get a rifle. They are much more efficient. What I do like is 000 Buck, like Winchester SuperX 3". You get 5 .357 lead balls at 1200FPS, 700Foot lbs. energy. with a grouping the size of a grapefruit at 30 yards using an 8" SBS in 410 with a full choke. I'm sure there are probably some uses where a .410 slug would be the optimum round, like hunting restrictions or such but you still don't get the range you get with a rifle. Shotguns are designed to be short range scatterguns. IMO, that's probably their best applications. Especially in .410 caliber. Just my thoughts on the subject.

#6 ·
"Can it be done". Yes you could do it but you'll have to literally strip it down to the receiver and build it back up. Need magazines, magazine feed chute (mag well), new barrel. Does the .45 Colt use a .410 bolt face? I know it works on a revolver...

IMNSHO you'd do better with a lever action or just build from scratch with a Romy kit than to try to convert a .410.

#9 ·
True, it appears to be a strong action, although there isn't anything to say what is the limit on one of those trunions. A .45 Colt, however, would not have the pressure worries something bigger would have.

Was it the .444 Marlin that Tromix? Seems like it was .45 something-something...

Those would be easy, get the mags to fit and you're all set. Problem is the really short .45 Colt would have to have a completely different magazine, similar to something like we did for the .45 Win Mag. Maybe start with cutting up a G3 magazine or something like that. Then you have the issue of rimmed cartridges. Believe me, that is a pain! :) You must stack them like a Desert Eagle or similar magazine where the mag is like a triangle (from the top) so the rims can feed properly.

Get past the magazine issue and it is pretty basic. Not sure about the bolt? The reloading books are all upstairs but it may need some bolt modification if the rims are different, just can't look it up at this moment. If you also have to modify the bolt, why not start with a Romy G kit and work from there.

A .45 Colt would be a fun little build! Brass is EVERYWHERE around here, and you could do worse.

#10 ·
Thanks for the responces... I was just wondering. I know of or at least I think I know of an old shot gun that shoots both 410 and 45lcolt. If I am correct the base is about the same on both with the lip on bottom. Maybey take a 45 70 case and trim to length? Possably neck some of those 410 russian casses to work with a 45 slug?

Just throwing out ideas. Was something that I thought was a cool idea. A powerfull semi auto rifle that shot a 45 cal round and a 410. This way you could get a 16 inch barrel too... Anyways, just day dreaming. Thanks for the input guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.