Gunco Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there anything special needed to convert a 5.45 saiga? i guess the biggest question is the bullet guide and if the ak74 mags would fit?

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Well, since it's an AK74 with a funny stock on it, I'd say . . . YES, AK74 mags will fit (with the same mods being necessary as the other Saigas)

Bullet guide? These guns are identical to the .223 Saigas, with the exception of the bore diameter.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
i haven't converted a 5.45x39 but it should be a cakewalk with the 5.45 mags being the same as any other ak74 mag.

you likely still need a bullet guide. i just made mine out of some pipe steel it wasn't very difficult.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have read people are able to fire the 5.45x39 without the bullet guide, but I think you should install one if you want reliability. It's not that hard to do. You can even make one pretty easily from some cut steel pipe (Check it out on the saiga-12 website)

·
NoWorkCamp4Me
5,546 Posts
I made my bullet guide for a 7.62x39 saiga with a piece of ss 3/4 inch pipe using a dremal tool,drill and tap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I finished my saiga 5.45 conversion last week and I am waiting on two bulgarian mags. When i get them i will compare them to the stock saiga mag and give you guys a heads up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
there she is ladies and gentlemen. I have looked at my buddies fake wood bakelite for his wasr 2, and came to the conclusion that the stock saiga mag and the bakelite were similar. But will do a side by side soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got the mags today. I compared the feed lips and front of the magazine. they are slightly different. In operation they feed just fine. the magazine itself requires no mods, no feed ramp is needed.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Just got the mags today. I compared the feed lips and front of the magazine. they are slightly different. In operation they feed just fine. the magazine itself requires no mods, no feed ramp is needed.
For reliability purposes, I'd recommend you install a bullet guide.

Not all mags are made the same, and a bullet guide will make up for any manufacturing variances.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just a note: the 5.45x39 saiga's that are here now have a flat channel for the bullet guide so the cut piece of pipe won't work. Looks just as easy to make though, just use a piece of flat steel. Not sure of the measurements as I haven't made mine yet but I will post when I get them. Or you can pay $30 for one at dinzagarms.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Kvar also has the correct Bulgarian 5.45 bullet guides with the flat bottom. A direct drop in, with only a bit of grinding to remove the bolt assist cam on the left side.

Install by drilling and tapping.

The best thing is the price $15.00

·
Registered
14,032 Posts
Look at an AK just behind the barrel and you'll see this thing in there. (got the pic from K-Var)

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know this might be a stupid question but why drilling and tapping to install the bullet guide? Doesn't it rivet in place?

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
I know this might be a stupid question but why drilling and tapping to install the bullet guide? Doesn't it rivet in place?
Dinzag (probably the best known purveyor of such parts) offers bullet guides that are attached with a screw.

Riveting them in is done at the factory, and is beyond the reach of most home-hobbyists.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I assume bullet guides are riveted in at the factory before the trunnion is installed in a reciever, when I riveted in a bullet guide in a milled receiver build I did it was easy and I assume it would be the same in a stamped trunnion. But with the trunnion riveted in the receiver already I'm sure it would be very difficult.

·
Registered
14,032 Posts
is there already a pllace to screw the screw into in the reciever or does a hole have to be drilled?
Has to be drilled

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
You can rivet it in place while it is still in the receiver if you build a bucking bar to fit the space between the trunion and the bottom of the rec. It also needs a support on the bottom outside to minimize distortion. Press straight down on the rivet and finish with a convex to provide the proper dish. Make the bucks thinner than the width of the rec to avoid flattening the bends. A bit tedious but doable.

There was a recess on mine for the starter hole, made it easy to drill. Much easier to do with a screw and red loctite. My screwed/loctited ramp hasn't budged!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts