Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saiga to AK101 project FINISHED!!!

I picked up a Saiga 223 Saturday at the fun show, and look what I did to a perfectly good weapon.

This project is going to be "intense". I got the thing stripped and determined that the barrel will have to be turned down to accept the Bulgarian FSB and GB, the groove for the lower handgaurd retainer will have to be 'engineered', the site leaf will need replacement (It only has a 3 hundred meter site), 7 holes in the receiver need to be welded shut, bullet guide riveted in. Since this will have a solid folder on it all the holes and cuts have to be done for that.

At least this one will keep me busy for a while......

Attachments

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
I'll be anxious to hear of your progress.

·
Registered
230 Posts
hcpookie said:
how hard was it to press off the barrel attachments? I've heard these are "exceptionally tight fitting" but haven't attempted yet...
I ended up bending the front part of the barrel while pressing off the front sight! Not a real big deal though because the barrel will be shortened down to 14". This will remove the bent section.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The gun didnt slip, I just done have the blocks totally setup yet so there was some slop. I saw things bend but normaly they spring back. Not this time.

Those Saiga's must be hot / cold fitted including the barrel and gas block pins because EVERYTHING on the barrel was a bitch to take apart even pressing the barrel out of the trunion cause a large gall/gouge to come out of the barrel.

Taking these Saiga's apart isnt for the faint of heart. Its a battle.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Want to get rid of that Saiga gasblock let me know . I got a couple extra rear sites .What do you need 800 m. or 1000 m. ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is a relatively easy conversion....I've done it.

You won't need to turn down anything for the 74fsb...it will fit right on once you remove the Sagia FSB. It has a barrel sleeve that goes out over the end of the barrel, so perhaps that's what you're measuring?

I did my groove with a dremel and swiss file set, but you can do it pretty easily. demel, file, test, file, test, file, test.

For welding, use a brass/copper block behind the hole to keep it clean internally, then weld away. I used MIG.

Saiga's make great starter projects for those without a press/gauges.

take care,
Tec

·
Registered
704 Posts
I noticed on the Saiga barrel I have there appears to be some kind of knurling around the barrel where the gasblock was.I bought it already stripped so dont know how hard it was to get apart.

·
Registered
230 Posts
droog said:
I noticed on the Saiga barrel I have there appears to be some kind of knurling around the barrel where the gasblock was.
Probably happened that it galled when the gas block was pressed off. I had a large gall happen when I pressed the barrel out of the trunion. Looks like :bull:

·
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Someone else said the FSB/GB would just fit right on, man I see something either galling real bad, bending or something breaking.
I used one of Zebec's barrel press plates on it and both of them just pressed right out, no problems. I had more problems getting these off my 74 when I converted it to 105.
I have been busy with work and other stuff and haven't done anything else, although I will be getting all the parts oredered in the next few days.
Here's some images of the dimensions and a closer look at the receiver.
The build using the Saiga is ALL about 5.56, other than the caliber I would opt for something else. Although I did want a true Russian receiver with "chicken feet". My Saiga 12c is the only true Russian folder sold in the US but alas, no chicken feet. After seeing it, I had to have another to "match" it. I do think this will be one of a few out there tho, so that should be neat.
Anyone know whether the 101 is supposed to have a ribbed cover or smooth?
Anyway updates to come.....

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
Fargo said:
Probably happened that it galled when the gas block was pressed off. I had a large gall happen when I pressed the barrel out of the trunion. Looks like :bull:
If it is galling it is the most uniform galling Ive ever seen.

·
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a pic of the "stuff" that I took off the receiver. ( for those that don't know) I am thinking seriously about cutting the mag well dimples out of my tapco flat and having those welded in as well. That's if my buddy can/will do it.
And Droog, I would be interested in the 1000m site leaf if it's the lite colored one with the upside down "u" on it. (which I think is supposed to be the cryllic stamp for 'battle'?)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I have a question; if your going to replace the FSB and gas block, why not just use a Dremel Tool and cut them off? You wouldn't have to worry about pressing them off or anything.

·
Registered
704 Posts
All of the ones I have got a P on them. I have 2 800 ones that have a D on one and a A on the other.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
kevin_m4 said:
I am thinking seriously about cutting the mag well dimples out of my tapco flat and having those welded in as well.
Don't do it! New Russian production may not have the dimples.

I found a cool new site with tons of good quality pics and they have some AK-100 rifles with smooth sides. I know, I was surprised too.

If you *must* have dimples, use a dimple jig to create them. I think machman sells them for like $40 but if you have a mill and some time you could make them too.

http://russianarms.info/indexENG.htm

http://russianarms.info/enghtm/6.htm

Here's the direct page:

http://russianarms.info/rushtm/photos/Gallery23/gallery.htm

Look REAL CLOSE at those pics of the AK-103 (wood grips) and AK-104... this is the first time I've seen field pics of an AK-104 BTW...

Ditto for the AK-103 here:

http://russianarms.info/enghtm/3.htm

Note that even has the 4th rivet on the left side! Note the AK-74M below has the dimples.

I've concluded that new Ishmash rifles don't have the dimples but use the rail extensions instead. Again, if you want the "newest look" I think it is 100% appropriate to go without dimples. If it's good enough for the factory...

1 - 20 of 94 Posts