Gunco Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anybody uses one of the sandblasters from H Frieght
I bought one of the tank kind.Thought about the booth one but I think this has more applications,granted the sand isnt contained but I thought I would use a large trash can to catch it.Anybody else use one let me know what ya think tips suggestions etc...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Save your lungs

Please take this with a grain of salt.

I don't have a sandblaster. I researched the purchase and decided to wait. One thing that struck me was the potential health problems connected with sandblasting WITHOUT using a booth. I have sprayed outside using a friend's setup. It worked well, except that we could not recover the sand. I used a dust mask and goggles but they were not effective in keeping particles out.

If you sandblast at least once a month and want to avoid silicosis and the lung problems that will occur later in life, get a booth. The other reasons for using one like control of sandblasting medium and the ability to use indoors are nice- but your health is priceless.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I do mine outside and I use and old gas mask for my protection. I ran a peice of tubing off the front (where the filter was) and it goes around my back and I stick it down into my clothes.

Don't fart when doing this :D

·
Registered
582 Posts
I am speechless!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
54R,

You crack me up.

Respirators are fairly inexpensive nowadays, I think I only paid around $25 for the 3M unit I bought. It uses the screw on filters.

It's cheap insurance

·
Registered
286 Posts
Byg said:
I was just wondering if anybody uses one of the sandblasters from H Frieght
I bought one of the tank kind.Thought about the booth one but I think this has more applications,granted the sand isnt contained but I thought I would use a large trash can to catch it.Anybody else use one let me know what ya think tips suggestions etc...
I have one of their bench top models and aside from being a little on the small side it works well enough. It does tend to leak from the hopper a little bit and the plastic tear off sheilds only work so well, but it does a good job of stripping my stuff. I use #80 aluminum oxide and it does a great job. The only modification I did was to go to Home Depot and get some tin ducting and make an extender for it. I bought the rectangular one approx. 8x12 that adapts to the 6" round pipe, slid on a 6-8"piece of round tin vent pipe with a cap on it and sealed all of the joints with duct tape. I cut a rectangular hole in the side of the cabinet, put RTV silicone on the flange, and screwed it into the cabinet. Once sealed it worked great and gives me an added 10-12" of space so I can fit barreled receivers in there no problem. Now I cannot turn one around inside of it which means I have to open the door, take it out, and turn in around but that is ok for what I payed for it. If I was going to do it all over I think I would take a look at this guys stuff THE BARREL BLASTER

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the warning f-troop,i didnt really think about the dust, but I do have a pretty good respirator...I was hopeing a large trash can would capture the excess sand...We'll see...

P.S 54r you better have a buddy w/ya just in case you fumicate yourself :)

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I made a booth at my last job. I started with a home heating oil tank. put a door in one end, a window and glove flanges on the front, then built a stand out of 2x4's. It was great to put in a tire all mounted to blast the rim. maby larger than needed for our builds but very versitile.
I often use play sand if I blast outside because it will disappear after a rain or two. It only cost a buck or so at wally world.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts