Gunco Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm. Well my sar-1 had a ftf,first one in about 500 rnds.It usually is reliable as hell.Here is what happened loaded 10 rnd mag, racked the bolt and tried to fire and click!!So I waited and then investigated.Last time this happened the sear broke(due to RSA overhardened Mat'L)they sent new FCG out to replace it(great serv..)anyways it appeared the primer was barley dimpled.What would cause this? hard primer maybe,gunk on the FP.I dont know if it is just me but it seems like the hammer doesnt hit the pin as hard as it used to..It is the RSA adj. Fcg.I havent investigated totally yet.Just curious about the primer theory..Oh it was Wolf ammo by the way.Let ya know what I find

·
Registered
621 Posts
If I remember right, the RSA set has its own disconnector spring.

You might investigate if perhaps this spring does not have enough tension on it to cause the disconnector to do its job.

With an empty rifle, take the top cover off, then hold down the trigger and cycle the action. If the hammer follows the bolt, the disconnector is not doing its job.

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
A few random thoughts:

Check that the right side of the hammer pin is fully in the hole, the hammer rotates on the shaft freely, the spring position holds the hammer centered.

Because you heard a click, the hammer did not follow the bolt forward.

From memory, one of the adjustments on the rsa influences how far back the hammer is held. This would impact (sorry) the force with which the hammer hits the firing pin.

An easy way to determine is too look at the primer that didn't fire and the primers on the empty cases around you. If it was a function of fire control group set up, indents would all be light.

Pop the firing pin out and check it and the boltface for crud or a gall.

I had a SAR three develop problems with the hammer face. Never heard of this on the SAR one however.

Oh, and one other thing I only mention because I've done it--

Click, rack the action, wonder what the hell happened, then pop out the mag and empty the chamber. Compare the unfired round's primer with the appearance of rounds dry cycled.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Byg said:
Hmmm. Well my sar-1 had a ftf,first one in about 500 rnds.It usually is reliable as hell.Here is what happened loaded 10 rnd mag, racked the bolt and tried to fire and click!!So I waited and then investigated.Last time this happened the sear broke(due to RSA overhardened Mat'L)they sent new FCG out to replace it(great serv..)anyways it appeared the primer was barley dimpled.What would cause this? hard primer maybe,gunk on the FP.I dont know if it is just me but it seems like the hammer doesnt hit the pin as hard as it used to..It is the RSA adj. Fcg.I havent investigated totally yet.Just curious about the primer theory..Oh it was Wolf ammo by the way.Let ya know what I find
I've had the same thing happen on my 2001 SAR-1. Very rarely, I will have this happen while burning through hundreds of rounds in one session at the range. Generally not every trip. Only a handful total though. Looked at the primer and it looked just the way you described. But, as soon as I popped the mag back in and looked at the spent shells after the incident, the primers all looked like they had been hit hard.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kinda wierd, I took it apart and didnt see anything out of the ordinary.It functioned fine after that (0ne)ftf at the range.I did notice some looseness
in the hammer pin maybe it slowed the hammer on the strike.I put a RSA FCG
retainer plate in just to see how it works.I think they tend to make things "sloppy"compared to a shepards hook.Anybody else think that??

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
There's a few of mine that get shot alot and the pin holes wallow out a little -- No big deal with the spring steel hook but with the plate-- the trigger pull is noticeably different from shot to shot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts