Gunco Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking forward to the upcoming Bulgarian AK74. Not knowing any timetable, I started thinking about the Romanian SAR2. How do these stack up to other AK74's? Do they suffer the same problems as the SAR1 (canted sites, poor finish, etc)? I read they have problems with East German Bakelite magazines, is this true? Do these have chrome lined barrels, etc? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
621 Posts
Generally, they suffer from the same problems as the SAR-1's. I've not read anything about problems with the magazines except for the .223 version, but I could easily have missed something.

Look, if you're willing to wait, the Assault Weapons Ban will expire in September and in a short time you'll be able to get a quality Bulgarian AK74 with enough US made parts to make it qualify for the pre-ban features.

I used to own several SAR-1's before I could find a dealer willing to special order Bulgarian Arsenal rifles. I wish I hadn't wasted my money on Romanians. I kept about half my collection of Romanians in mint condition, and shot the other half. After my "shooter" half started to have problems, I started trading them off and shooting the mint condition half of my collection. When a couple of these started having problems too, I decided to cut my losses and go with the Bulgarian. I'm glad I did! I finally found a couple of dealers willing to special order Bulgarians, and for the most part I've been about 95% happy with them.

Overall, I think the Romanians are rather shoddy compared to the Bulgarians, Hungarians, and Chinese.

Just my two cents...

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have both the sar 1 and 2,the quality is about the same with both I guess.I have not had any problems with either. I did change the fcg's out as soon as I got them..I havent heard any issues with the mag either..Like Zoid said if ya can wait,its hard telling what will be out there..

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I had been wanting an AK74 and got a Bulgy parts kit a few months back. After news of the Arsenal Inc AK74 I ditched my plans and decided to wait. Now I'm beginning to have second thoughts. The SAR2 plan just crossed my mind. The idea is not sounding as good the more I think about it. I would have to get the trigger fixed, replace the stockset, fix any possible problems with the cant, refinish, and doing something about a muzzle attachment. All of that would be more than the finished product is worth.

The other idea is to build my parts kit. I hate to buy a SAR2, Saiga, or anything else for the matter to just for the donor reciever. That also gets expensive. Has anyone worked with the Global reciever yet? I still may get one of them for a build.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thers several different recievers out there you could use,on the global rec ya have to remove 0.6mm off the sides of the trunions which I dont think would be that easy without a mill or surface grinder.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Byg said:
Thers several different recievers out there you could use,on the global rec ya have to remove 0.6mm off the sides of the trunions which I dont think would be that easy without a mill or surface grinder.
Hopefully my builder will have the mill and surface grinder :biggrin:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think you would probably be fine with a SAR2. The Century FCG is the weakest link and the stocks on the last batch of -2's are actually pretty nice. As for the bakelite mags, I use 'em all the time. I've never read a complaint with the exception of the SAR3's. The finish is typical Romanian but could easily be prettied up with a bake-on finish relatively cheap.

They're definitely "fixer-upper" guns but it's not like they're junk, I just wouldn't buy one sight unseen. Too much hassle to pay a dealers fee to get a rifle with canted sights, from what I've read the '02/'03 -2's are the ones to get. I wouldn't turn my nose up at one for a decent price 'cause 5.45x39 is a blast to shoot.

I eagerly await the Arsenal Inc. AK74 myself as I won't have to mess with a kit. I was interested in the Arsenal USA '74 but I've read too many stories of folks having problems with their commercial rifles. (I'm not trying to slam Arsenal USA, I've had great customer service with Global Trades in general but the sheer number of negative posts in regard to their rifles is difficult to disregard)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Evil_Walks said:
I eagerly await the Arsenal Inc. AK74 myself as I won't have to mess with a kit. I was interested in the Arsenal USA '74 but I've read too many stories of folks having problems with their commercial rifles. (I'm not trying to slam Arsenal USA, I've had great customer service with Global Trades in general but the sheer number of negative posts in regard to their rifles is difficult to disregard)
Ditto on Arsenal USA. I didn't care at all for the SSR-85B I had; It was pretty but it bruised the hell out of my shoulder every time I took it to the range. The story I eventually heard was that some of the Polish rifles they used to build them had worn gas ports in the barrels.

A good sauce can hide many sins in the kitchen, and I guess the same is true for pretty parkerizing. Anyway, I'm much happier with the Arsenal of Nevada SA-M7S that I bought next.

As far as the new 74s, I'm pretty stoked. I just pray that they use the original brake. I'd also be happy with the Bulgarian flash suppressor installed as standard.

If the AWB sunsets and stays dead, I plan to get a 74 in 5.45 and another in 5.56 since there will likely be new magazines coming in. As it is, I'm not going to pay $20-$30 for 5.56 Bulgie mags.

September is going to be an expensive month for me. In addition to acquiring new AKs, I'll need to get my SA re-fanged (bayo lug and Bulgarian flash suppressor) and my STG-58 is going to need the original Stoll flash suppressor installed.

This is money I'm going to be very, very happy to spend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts