1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
1,781 Posts
I ordered one friday, should ship tomorrow. I'm wanting to see myself what they're all about.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Savage has always had a very good reputation for accurate rifles too. GG

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
From what I've heard, most of the No.4 Mk1* (Savage) are coming from South Africa. They have the "arrow" acceptance stamp on top of the reveiver. At least mine did. The rifle was in very good shape but most of the black japaning had worn off. I refinished it and put new wood on it but kept the "S in square" Savage wood.

It shoots very well and is very slick in rapid fire. The only thing I don't like about it is how you have to stagger the .303 rounds in the stripper clip. If you don't stagger them they will miss-feed and it takes time to clear. But that's what you have to deal with on rimmed cartriges.

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
1,781 Posts
Mine came yesterday and what I can see under the cosmoline is nice ;) I have to sit down and clean the heck out of it yet. The bayo is rough but the rifle is nice, not alot of finish left but nice none the less and the wood is beautiful. Even stuffed up with grease the action is smooooove :D I love the rear peep sight, it's different :thumbup1: They made about a million of these guns in the 2 years they made them. I'm happy to own one.

I'll get some pics ones she's all purtied up.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, yes, pictures please. :) GG

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a Savage receiver that I'm going to build on. It'll take some time to collect the appropriate pieces, but I think it'll be a fun and worthwhile project. How many of the parts are going to be Savage marked, anybody know?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Gewehrnut said:
I have a Savage receiver that I'm going to build on. It'll take some time to collect the appropriate pieces, but I think it'll be a fun and worthwhile project. How many of the parts are going to be Savage marked, anybody know?
Well, pretty much every part would be Savage marked. This includes the wood. Everything except the screws should have at least the squared "S" marked on it. That is the big problem with restoring a Savage....I looked for quite a while to find a Savage marked mag and follower for one of mine. The bolt should be marked with a US ordnance bomb. There may be a piece or two that is Long Branch marked....as these two companies helped each other on parts from time to time, so it isn't unusual to find a Savage with some LB marked parts and vice versa....

Good luck, and start digging through all those Enfield parts at shows! Also, check eBay....search for enfield parts and look for ones that might be marked savage....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts