Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while the wife and I were on our daily walk. This was the second time this week we had seen him so we decided it would be worth running home for her camera. She took a few pics and this is my favorite.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I saw one at my house in Ohio growing up in the early 80's. It ended up making the news as a lot of people saw it besides me.

Never thought I would see one in this area of the country. They are a majectis bird when they aren't losing their head feathers :D

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I was at a Military funeral a few years back. The Color Gaurd had done their 21 Gun Salute and the trumpeteer started Taps. While he was playing an Eagle circled over us. Don't take this the wrong way, but it was really neat given the circumstances. I believe that's the only one I've ever seen in the wild.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just saw a Bald Eagle yesterday near Fresno California. I geuss they have breeding grounds around Milerton Lake. The one we saw was on the maxon road coming from trimmer springs. It looked big enough to take a cat. Was pretty cool. Saw some Turkey that day too in basicly the same area.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
There are many down here, I've seen them up in the air too while flying around 2,000 feet over the Florida Everglades, they look majestic.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I think the cat is gonna get his butt kicked!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Eagles are good with BBQ sauce ............ lol JK awesome pic grendel

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
The salmon are running right now, so those things are everywhere. They also leave their regular areas when the WDFW stocks the fishing lakes with hatchery trout, then they are everywhere picking off trout right and left.

Those things can fly off with a wriggling 20 lb salmon. They'd have no trouble with some stupid cat.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
great pic! the only time i was lucky enough to see a bald eagle in the wild was in wyoming.......saw lots there.....and eaglets in their nest too! the eaglet (usually one) stays in the nest til he's quite large, so you can see them easily above the "wall" of the nest" even with cheapo binocs! :D

·
Nanook of the North
1,010 Posts
Ahhhhhh, you guys need to experience Alaska. When the salmon come into the rivers and streams the eagles gather by the hundreds. One local town even has an EagleFest and the eagles congregate in such vast numbers that is it truly awe inspiring.

·
1,763 Posts
I would love to experience Alaska.
For some reason it gives people who don't get to see them very often a great sense of an awesome creature. It does me.
The sad fact is that most eat carrion just like vultures.

·
Nanook of the North
1,010 Posts
Well, it was the greatest reality jerk-back to me. I moved here with the wide-eyed outsider gawking-look. Eagles and bears everywhere. All great and wonderful until an eagle flew off with the neighbors cat (yes, it does happen) and I had a black bear cross my front porch and rub past my dog.

Since then I've learned that bears are beautiful creatures, and taste good in the spring too. Makes great summer sausage and chili! And got a nice rug out of the deal. We have black bears almost as thick as dogs down south. 'Tis my solemn duty to help maintain the poplulation in check....

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Alaska is also on my list of places to explore before i die! :D

·
Nanook of the North
1,010 Posts
What really shocks most people is seeing not the eagles, but the "reality" of the eagles. Out in Dutch Harbor at the end of the Aleutian Islands chain I have pics of hundreds of bald eagles.... waiting at the city dump for trash. Yea, food. They also sit and watch the seagulls at the dump and you can almost see in their mind "fresh meat -vs- trash pickings, Hmmmmmm?" Of course we all have these images of the noble eagle soaring but once you've seen the eagles feasting on a river of thousands of dead spawned-out salmon and plucking the fish eyes out because of the protein content.... well, you get a different image.

Of course, I'm still awed by them and stop to watch every chance I get, even after 10 years here.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I see eagles daily. There is an egales nest in the trees about 100 yards from the scale house I work at. Plus, about 15 miles up the skagit river from my house, they have eagle watches. Hundreds of bald eagles sitting in the trees. It is really neat. They also are soaring over my house daily also.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts