Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Requesting good prayer and vibes for my wife.

As I have posted before our new little one is not sleeping through the night.

Mrs. Sang is a stay at home Mom, but with 2 year old also it's not like she has a chance to nap much.

She finally went out of her skull this weekend with kids not sleeping through the night and the holidays. It's all too much for her when you figure she's only had a few complete nights of rest in 7 months.

Everyone was in the doghouse this weekend and I know she spent a lot of last night up. I stayed up Friday night and tended to things which put me in the doghouse because I fed the baby a bottle when I was supposed to let him cry. I was groggy and forgot and then when I was tired Saturday from getting about 4 hours sleep I got hell for being tired.

It was a bad weekend to say the least and we didn't talk much. I don't know what to do anymore as we have tried everything.

Before anyone asks, the baby gets cereal in a bottle around 11 PM and he is in his own room. He eats like a hoss all day as well.

He just wants to get up 2 times every night and eat! Really it's more like 4 time since he gets a bottle at 11 then wakes at 1 then 3 and gets up around
6 am.

Anyway, we're at our wits end and need any good thoughts or advice.

We have tried several days in a row to let him cry it out too, but all that does is make him cry for 2-3-4 hours on end, he will not give up and its no good to stress him out like that.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
My brother had that problem. They later on found out that he had kidney stones. Hope that's not your problem, but you may want to keep an eye on his diaper up front for stones. I guess it is extremely rare for this to happen, because the doctors over at Ruby Memorial told my brother he was nuts. He then took him to a childrens hospital in Charleston and they found the problem. I forget the main ingredient of the stone, but it was an ingredient of pre-natal vitamins his mother took and must have passed it on to him during the pregnency. So the poor little feller had to tough it out until it got out of his system.

Anyhow, Prayers sent. Hang in there Sang, you gotta love a woman that makes cakes like that!!LOL

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
Can you guys afford a baby sitter so she can go work, even if it's a part-time job?

There is a reason for my asking.

You have had problems before, maybe she needs to get out more and have some time for herself. Spending 24 hours a day with small children is not easy for any one.

Had to step out.

As far as crying.....perhaps the baby was cold, many things can make a baby cry, if there are no signs of illness, I wouldn't worry too much. Does he quiet down after having a bottle? then you may not be feeding him enough.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Not sure of the baby's age and not being a mother myself-- I probably don't have any good input, but maybe try feeding the baby something a little heavier. the cereal just isn't cutting it. does the baby have a regular BM schedule--is it coliche (lord knows I don't know too much baby stuff.....lol) just going on what I've heard from friends. Have you tried the aromatherapy baby baths--supposedly they get the baby relaxed and makes them sleep better--who knows maybe Mrs. Sang could use some aromatherapy herself

well that's all I can offer--not much help I know, but I'll send up some peaceful thoughts for you guys.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, he goes right back to sleep after a bottle. He's hungry, we know that and he's a happy baby during the day.

BTW: She does tutor 3 days a week and is away from the house for 3 hours. The kids go to bed at 8 PM every night as well. I do watch them and she does get out without them. She also belongs to a Mom'c club and they all go on an outing quite often or to other houses where play time for all the kids is scheduled.

I'm up every night as well for some amount of time too, but our agreement is during the week she gets up with him.

It's been dreadful lately for all of us and if we let him cry it out he wakes up his sister as well.

No rest for the wicked!

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's 7 months and he doesn't have colic, our first had colic.

Since November 2002 our lives have been pretty bad as sleep goes. That was wehen his sister was born.

All this maded decision for us to not have a 3rd child as my wife had wished for up untill about 3 months ago. She loves her kids and she is a good Mom, but this is really pushing her to her limit of sanity.

I tried to send her out Saturday to get away, but that made her even more mad at me.

·
6,361 Posts
Ok, that's a good start, maybe check with the doctor and see if you should be feeding him a little more , have you tried a pacifier?, dip it in honey or something. Maybe he just misses you guys.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Sang, I know this sounds crazy, but there are actually training programs/services that teach parents how to get the baby trained to sleep. I saw an article in the Wall Street Journal in the last couple of weeks about it.

This is not an uncommon problem.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aviator said:
Ok, that's a good start, maybe check with the doctor and see if you should be feeding him a little more , have you tried a pacifier?, dip it in honey or something. Maybe he just misses you guys.

I tell you what, I'm about ready to bring him into bed with us if that's what it takes.
He does like to snuggle up with us after he has his bottle in the middle of the night.

He won't do a pacifier either, his sister did and still does. He sucks on 2 of his fingers when he needs to calm himself down. He's already a self reliant little guy :D

·
6,361 Posts
Well, when all else fails....bring him with you guys to bed, there is nothing like being close to mom...........and you'll be doing that for the next 5 years. I know.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Custer said:
Sang, I know this sounds crazy, but there are actually training programs/services that teach parents how to get the baby trained to sleep. I saw an article in the Wall Street Journal in the last couple of weeks about it.

This is not an uncommon problem.
Yup, and that worked for our first one. My wife has a realy good book about this very subject and with Ana it took 3 nights and she was sleeping through the night.

We thought we had him licked a while back, but then he just started getting up again. About 1 in every 10 nights he sleeps through til 5 AM and we call that a victory.

One thing we did wrong with Ana was keeping her in our room way too long, so we moved him at 3 months to his bedroom and he likes to go in there, so I think he's alright that way. When he's tired and crying and you take him in his room he tries to dive into his crib before you can get him down. It's his quiet place because he likes it quiet to sleep as I do.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
This was about people who come into the home, evauate you and the child, devise a program and train you in implementation.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Custer said:
This was about people who come into the home, evauate you and the child, devise a program and train you in implementation.
I figured that is what you meant, but I'll bet it's expensive too!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
when baby cries ... bottle=good
burping=good (for babies, too)

When my son was about that age, I did everything. I did the holding, talking, petting, burping, bottle .. the whole deal, and he still cried. I got a bit exasperated and said, "Michael, why don't you just shut up and quit crying?" Of course, he was too young to understand, but my 4 year old did. She came to me, put her hands on my knees, and looked up with her big blue eyes and said, "But daddy, that's what babies do!" Man, talk about coming from the mouths of babes. She was right. It is what babies do, so just go with the flow, do what you can. When all else fails, call the pediatrician.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
This is what my ex and I did-
Our daughter was a tough kid to get any rest with the first six months or so. So, what we did was set a schedule, 24 on, 24 off. We put a cot in the baby's room and we would rotate on/off so we would both get about three full nights of sleep per week or so, plus four of partial sleep as well. While this is unpleasant to do (sleeping apart), being sleep deprived is less fun, and dangerous as well.
If all else fails.......there's always childrens Liquid Tylenol.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cammobunker said:
This is what my ex and I did-
Our daughter was a tough kid to get any rest with the first six months or so. So, what we did was set a schedule, 24 on, 24 off. We put a cot in the baby's room and we would rotate on/off so we would both get about three full nights of sleep per week or so, plus four of partial sleep as well. While this is unpleasant to do (sleeping apart), being sleep deprived is less fun, and dangerous as well.
If all else fails.......there's always childrens Liquid Tylenol.
Doesn't sound too bad, my wife ends up falling alseep with him on the couch every night after the first feeding anyway. He digs it too, he's like a little teddy bear. I put him under my arm and sleep propped up when it's my turn.

This is making me sleepy as I type, I'm dead serious! We've gotten so little sleep just thinking about it makes me drowsy.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Colic is grown out of after 3 months.

What could be the problem is the cereal you are giving him, he may not be ready for it yet, and it is not digesting properly, giving all kinds of trouble. If he's under 6 months you probably shouldn't be giving him cereal, except for a arrowroot cracker to slobber on now and then. Then again, I did not see where you specified his age. Try simply switching him back to boobie milk or formula for awhile, to see if he improves.
Y'know that feeling you get after you drink a case of cheap-o beer to yourself and the next day you can feel the explosion working its way through your guts? I'd be crying too.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts