Gunco Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's play the "what would you do?" game....
This is particularly for CCW permit holders, but anyone can play.

You are driving your car, perhaps with the wife or a child with you. You are carrying your weapon, and it is easily accessible to you.
Your window is down. As you are driving down a local street, a SUV, with 4 misguided teenagers pulls up alongside you. The teen in the front seat sticks his head out of the window and shouts obsenities at you, while the one in the back seat follows suit and points a handgun (one that appears to be real), at you and threatens you and your family. You have only split seconds to react to save yourself and your family.

What do you do?
I will follow this up with these stories that happened here locally. These teens were lucky to escape with there lives in tact, yet need to be severely punished by our courts.

ST. TAMMANY PARISH TEENS CHARGED IN TOY GUN 'THREATS'

COVINGTON, La. (AP) _ Two St. Tammany Parish teenagers have been booked with aggravated assault for allegedly pointing toy handguns out of a sport utility vehicle and threatening to kill pedestrians.

Investigators are looking for three other teenagers believed to have been riding in the SUV.

The two teens were pulled over Monday in Slidell after people reported being threatened with what they thought were real weapons.

A 22-year-old woman told police she was jogging when she was approached by the vehicle. Police say two boys leaned out their windows, pointing the guns and talking about killing her. She ran for cover as the vehicle drove away.

A 53-year-old man says he ran behind a building when he saw a boy pointing a handgun.

Slidell Police Chief Freddy Drennan says the teens were lucky the people didn't shoot back.

MORE TEENS ARRESTED IN N. SHORE TOY GUNS CASE

Slidell police have announced the arrests of several more teenagers who allegedly pointed toy guns at people from the windows of an SUV.

Police say pedestrians were running and jumping behind things after seeing the suspects pointing what they thought were real guns. It happened last week. Slidell Police Captain Rob Callahan says since then they have made six arrests on aggravated assault charges.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I had something similar happen to me one night. A guy tried like hell to run me off the road over and over. He was just staring at me with dead eyes. I thought I lost him and he came back up alongside and swerved one more time towards my car. I slammed on the breaks and I just happened to have a .357 on the passenger seat that I had taken to owrk to use the tools there and repair it. I had no ammo, but I picked it up and pointed it at him. He ran off and I have no idea what he was so mad about. I just remember he turned in behind me at a major intersection and it was 12 midnight on a Sunday, no one was out on the roads.

Glad I had the gun, but I would probably hit the brakes and do a J-turn or something. Always try to flee unless you have no where to go.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
If he already had the weapon aimed at the car, I would probably lock up the brakes, stop, ready my weapon, and have the family hit the floor. No matter how fast your reflexes are, you probably couldn't outdraw him/her. I'd then try leaving. If they tried it again, I'd shoot.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Me alone, I'd probably try some avoidance routine.

Wife and Family in the car, as you describe the scenario ... no games, I'm going to do whatever it takes to end the threat, up to and including shooting the driver, gun or no gun, toy or not.

The Family is my PRIMARY responsibility in life, everything else is secondary and minor.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Preacher said:
If he already had the weapon aimed at the car, I would probably lock up the brakes, stop, ready my weapon, and have the family hit the floor. No matter how fast your reflexes are, you probably couldn't outdraw him/her. I'd then try leaving. If they tried it again, I'd shoot.QUOTE]

Preacher you?ve got it right. To protect ones family it?s best not to have any shots fired on either side. Avoidance is best, never subject yourself or your family to any chance of getting hit by a stray shot. If you have no other choice shoot to kill, I?m sorry but if you shoot at me or mine you?re going to pay with your life, because if you?re alive you?re still a threat. The fact that they?re teenagers has nothing to do with this story; anyone of any age can pull a trigger. So don?t trust anyone?s life on the odds that it?s a joker with a toy gun.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Cephus said:
I feared for my life officer and thought I was going to die how was I to know it was a toy. Guys running is great if you can but a bullet out runs a car everytime and if I thought my family was in danger.I don't miss. Running is good and if I were alone that is what I would try but wwhen my family is involved shoot first and ask questions latter.
It's bed time.
If there was only one person with a gun that might work..but they already have their guns out..no way you would get them all before they sprayed your car with lead..which means somebody in my car would probably have been hit.don't like the odd's..i'd still run or hit the brakes or do whatever to get away..

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
One thing I know how to do is handle a car quick and dirty. My Dad was a defensive driver and taught me a lot of things teen shouldn't know about handling a car.

High speed J-turns, controlled e-brake slider, boot leggers, and throttle steering. My Dad taught me a lot and he taught me not to be afraid to use a car as a weapon. A car can take a lot of abuse before it pukes out and a little strategic nerfing to someone not expecting it will get you out of trouble. Having been in a couple of high speed wrecks I know that a lower speed vehicle altercation is very survivable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts