Gunco Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just finishing a screw build AMD 63 with a Vulcan Receiver. Of course, the mag won't fit because it hits the back of the mag well. It appears the holes in the front trunion are too far back, yeah I know typical problem with this receiver, I know this has been dealt with before but I can't remember if you grind the rear portion of the mag well, egg out the front trunion holes or something else. How has the rest of the crew handled this?

Oh yeah, another question. do you think I will have to put any backing plate with the trigger guard screws? Only about 1m of threads, wonder if that is enough to hold the trigger guard on?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Have you drilled the holes for the TG screws yet?

How much are you missing by?

I would definitely use a backing plate, not so much because of the TG, but because of the mag release.
There is a fair amount of load on it, changing mags etc.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
7.62x39 said:
Have you drilled the holes for the TG screws yet?

How much are you missing by?

I would definitely use a backing plate, not so much because of the TG, but because of the mag release.
There is a fair amount of load on it, changing mags etc.
Yes, I just enlarges the holes that were already in the receiver for the trigger guard, as for amount of space needed, well I guess I will have to measure, can't be too much I hope, I pretty much kept the holes that were in the Vulcan receiver and just ran the tap thru the holes.

Another small but accetable problem seems to be a small gap between the area were the front of the stock where it swells outward and the back of the receiver, it appears as if it is not going into the back of the receiver enough.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Maybe you could split the distance between the trunnion holes and the TG holes.
Moving each half the distance, you need to make up.

Max

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
For the mag well, I found that I was able to make it work by removing part of the mag release, the top part that is closest to the receiver.

For the Trigger Guard, no, you don't need a backing plate. You can do it different ways, but what I did was to clamp everything down, and then drill & tap the safety stop *AND* the receiver. There was enough thread on both to get the tap to bite, and while it was tricky getting the screws in without the safety stop "walking" away from the receiver, it finally went together.

Here are pics of my screw build, along with a good shot of the mag release:
http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK74/build/build.htm

And here are pics of the trigger guard finished:
http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK74/triggerguard/triggerguard.htm

Hope this helps! Let me know if you want more info...
- Jerry

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
On the couple I have built, I just file the mag well. I have had to file teh sides of teh mag wells on mine as well. I don't like my mag rubbing the sides.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I know this is kind've an old thread and the original poster has probably solved his problem by now, but I thought I'd add in what my solution was for the trigger guard screws. I didn't use a plate, I just used little tiny nuts on the ends of the 8-32 button head screws. You can get them at McMaster-Carr for about $1.89 per 100 and they seem to work really well. They are super small and seem to hold perfectly well. Before someone asks, I didn't use lock washers, I used red locktite on the threads to be sure they wouldn't come undone. Doing this is a lot easier than fabricating a backing plate or riveting, and since the screws are underneath the gun the heads are hardly visible.

The other issue was the mag fitting into the mag well. I just took a couple of thousandths off the rear part of the mag well where the mag cams into the gun and latches. Don't touch the latch itself, just the receiver and the safety lever plate so that the mag can slide right in and latch. Doing this makes for a very snug and secure magazine fit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts