Gunco Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rust spot that I have been battling under the gas block on one of my AK kits. I have used 0000 steel wool and wd-40 but the spot returns. Does anyone have any other advice to remove this problem? I would also like to apply cold blue after removing the rust and need advice on applying the soulution. ANy help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Have you tried any of those rust kill products?
The ones with the acid in them that turns the rust black.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Try Naval Jelly. That will also remove bluing so be carefull.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
I think the best cold blue is the 44-40, I think that is the right name. anyway, Brownells and very well equiped gun shops have it. i have used it and it works as well as any of that stuff does.

Just make sure you pre warm the surfaces and that there is ZERO, NONE, ZILCH grease or oil on the metal. Even a litle ruins the finish.

Good Luck !

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Thankfully, I've always been able to get rust off with fine steel wool soaked in light oil. As noted above, a chemical rust remover (Naval Jelly is the only one I've ever used) would work - but it takes off bluing (I used Naval Jelly to take the bluing off my SAR bolt carrier).

My favorite cold blue is Brownell's Oxpho-Blue www.brownells.com but it's really more of a blacking than a bluing. Brownell's contends that you don't have to scrupulously degrease to use it, but I think that would be a mistake. Also helps to warm the metal up some when using any cold blue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts