Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I got hit in the face today from an AK 7.62x39. evidently a round hit a rock and hit me in the face. It hit high on my lip just next to my nose. A little lower and I could have got it out through my mouth. I felt it hit solid. Naturaly I put my hand up to it instantly and I could feel a LUMP with a point sticking out. trying to remove only seemed to make it worse so I went inside to the mirror. I could see a point that looked like a splinter sticking out of a hole about 8mm. when I tried to squease it out I found that to be a BAD IDEA :scared: . next I got tweezers and grabbed the end of the splinter but it did not pull out. so I put the tweezers in the hole a little bit and got a better grip and PULLED. the splinter got bigger and fatter and pulled tighter, but finaly came out. I have to assume the solid feeling I got when it hit was it hitting the bone. luck for me the skin is thin on the face.
It is now a few hours later and I feel a lot better.:smile:
I guess the best point I can make is WARE SAFTY GLASSES evry time. when I first looked into the mirror my FIRST thought was how totaly blind that eye would be. Later I started to wonder how deep it would have traveled behind an eye compaired to hitting bone to stop it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
hotbarrel said:
Yes I got hit in the face today from an AK 7.62x39. evidently a round hit a rock and hit me in the face. It hit high on my lip just next to my nose. A little lower and I could have got it out through my mouth. I felt it hit solid. Naturaly I put my hand up to it instantly and I could feel a LUMP with a point sticking out. trying to remove only seemed to make it worse so I went inside to the mirror. I could see a point that looked like a splinter sticking out of a hole about 8mm. when I tried to squease it out I found that to be a BAD IDEA :scared: . next I got tweezers and grabbed the end of the splinter but it did not pull out. so I put the tweezers in the hole a little bit and got a better grip and PULLED. the splinter got bigger and fatter and pulled tighter, but finaly came out. I have to assume the solid feeling I got when it hit was it hitting the bone. luck for me the skin is thin on the face.
It is now a few hours later and I feel a lot better.:smile:
I guess the best point I can make is WARE SAFTY GLASSES evry time. when I first looked into the mirror my FIRST thought was how totaly blind that eye would be. Later I started to wonder how deep it would have traveled behind an eye compaired to hitting bone to stop it.

oh man, thank god your OK. what exactly did you pull out, a piece of the copper jacket?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had a similar incident when I was younger (teenager) I learned the hard way about shooting at steel plates with bird shot. I had about 3 of the birdshot pellets come back and smack me in the face. Not very bright on my part.

·
1,763 Posts
:useless:

Sorry, I had to do that. But truthfully I am thankful you are OK.

I got hit on the hip from a .223 bouncing off a metal cylinder and if it had not hit me on the belt (thank god for the leather) I *know* it would have went in. I had expected blood when I felt down there. But I had a big bruise for a week.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
First off...Glad to hear your okay.

Second....Go see a doctor, you might need a tetanus shot. Don't take any chances.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wow! I'm glad you're OK. You should get a tetanus shot, especially if you can't remember the last time you had one.

JoeLad :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
Holy Moly hotbarrel!

Sorry to hear about your accident! Thanks for posting the message! It really drives home the reality! Safety first! Safety last! Safety always!

Yours truely,
Thumb Clip Pull Pin

·
Registered
41 Posts
Toten Kopf said:
First off...Glad to hear your okay.

Second....Go see a doctor, you might need a tetanus shot. Don't take any chances.
I'm glad it was not more serious.

If you go to the doctor, be careful about the information you share. In most states, maybe all, gunshot wounds must be reported to the police. Once it is reported you go into at least one database, and in my state, three databases. In one of them, every time there is a shooting with similar characteristics, your name will come out on a generated list.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, that beats my story.

A few years ago, I was shooting my Glock 21 at the local range. I was about 30-35 feet from the hill that was used as the backstop. I was shooting my reloads with a 230gr JHP. A bullet must have struck a rock in the hill. The next thing I know, I feel something hit my right shin HARD! I look down and see a massively deformed 230gr slug sitting on top of my boot. I had a bruise from that for a week and walked with a limp for a day. It hit the bone in my shin. Hurt like HE*% but didn't break the skin. Creepy!

Bub

·
Registered
369 Posts
You need to go and buy a Lotto ticket. Thanks God your OK. Man that is going to leave a mark. You can now say you got shot in the face with a AK and lived to see another day. :scared:

Reactions: sks_hunter

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thank you to all of you for all the consern. I truly appreciate it. you guys are the best.
yes all my shots are up to date, and no doctor was or will be involved :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
damn, dude...

did the whole round get you, or just a portion of it?
were you wearing chain link gloves and a face shield...
and a buck skin rubber?
Greg B. won't be impressed...
Just kiddin with ya, pal... sure am glad you're ok...
must have been unpleasant
BE CAREFUL...WHO'S GONNA DO MY RIVETS IF YOU GO DOWN???:scared:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm glad to hear you are doing well Hotbarrel!! Keep the wound clean, it sounds nasty. If you do have to go to a doc make up some story about working in your garage or something.

Watch out for signs of infection. It can sneak up on ya. :wink:

·
Registered
21 Posts
The above advise is good, Hotbarrel...

Very glad to hear you are ok, but keep a close eye on the wound. Very easy to get something like that infected.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Yikes, that's some scary stuff HB.

I'm glad it wasn't more serious.

Pour some alcohol on the wound, I recommend Jack Daniels. :smile:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Glad you are okay. I also had a similar experience but with no penetration.
The Ar15.com shoot in Princeton during the winter, I think it was 2 winters ago, I went. Someone was shooting a shotgun at those reactive steel targets and a pellet hit me square in the forehead. The targets were a good 100 ft away. I was wearing a wool hat and it still left a good mark.
Needless to say I didn't stay after that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts