Gunco Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after a bad day yesterday I went back to the range today. I had a budy help me zero in my romak111. he had a spotting scope and this realy helped a lot!! after about 25 rounds I was now fireing 2 inch groups at 150 yards. yes I will say that again 2 INCH GROUPS at 150 yards. I was useing wolf 200 grain off a rest. now I think it is time to get some match grade ammo.
man I am happy with this build from Lois I also got the romanian scope from lois. this realy was a fun build and I am SSsOOooo happy I bought it from Lois on the group buy. I wont remind evryone what price she had but man it was good.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sounds excellent, 2" @ 150 would make me smile. The original Romanian scope has to be a nice kicker. :chinese:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the Romanian scope seemed the only way to go on a Romanian gun. plus the price was rite at centerfire. as for grouping ,, evryone at the range was impresed to say the least.. some guys did not like the build it yourself idea at first,,,, then they did not believe I built it myself, after it was zeroed in.
It is real STRANGE to me how some people are easily impressed with spending a lot of money on a big name gun, they also had a very hard time admiting how well this Romak did rite in front of them. .. I think because I did not waste a bunch of cash on it. AS for me I would rather bragg on actual tight group patterns than how much money I spent on a fancy name brand. just my oppinion :headspin:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Try some wolf 148 gr. I have heard from someone else, that their Romak liked that much better than the 200 gr.

Nice shooting thugh.

Haven't had a chance to get mineout their yet. It was fun to build though. The pride you get from building your own is nice too.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I bought the 148 gr. wolf as advised by many and it seems less accurate for me. I was about 1 inch high at 100 yards and 4 inch low at 150 yards. the 200 grain did not drop at all. I was in the center from 75 all the way out to 150 yards.
I did not turn the knob on the scope when I went out to 150 and maby that will bring it up but the next click is for 200 meters and nouthing in between. By the time I go out 200 yards I will be WAY low. I think I will go back to the 200 gr.
Can anyone give me any factual reason why I would not want to use the 200gr. I had someone tell me "it is hard on the barrel" but that seems like opinion, without some more hard facts, like how and why. If it is not going to damage the Romak I am going to run 200 gr.
Anyone with any facts to stear me in the rite direction.

·
Registered
430 Posts
hotbarrel said:
well I bought the 148 gr. wolf as advised by many and it seems less accurate for me. I was about 1 inch high at 100 yards and 4 inch low at 150 yards. the 200 grain did not drop at all. I was in the center from 75 all the way out to 150 yards.
I did not turn the knob on the scope when I went out to 150 and maby that will bring it up but the next click is for 200 meters and nouthing in between. By the time I go out 200 yards I will be WAY low. I think I will go back to the 200 gr.
Can anyone give me any factual reason why I would not want to use the 200gr. I had someone tell me "it is hard on the barrel" but that seems like opinion, without some more hard facts, like how and why. If it is not going to damage the Romak I am going to run 200 gr.
Anyone with any facts to stear me in the rite direction.

The Romanian PSL is designed to shoot 148 grain ammunition. The rear sights and presumably, and scope designed for the PSL/SVD would be regulated toward that bullet trajectory. Now, I've HEARD that the 200 grain ammo might wear out your locking lugs... blah blah blah because it has higher chamber pressure. I dont know about that. Personally, if I found 200 grain ammo worked better, I'd stick with it. Thing is, 200 grain Wolf is expensive to buy all the time... when Czech 148 grain is so cheap. *shrugs* Up to you.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Remember, a bad day at the range is better than a good day at work. I used to like my job but after a long time at doing it, it gets old and boring.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you have something their. What I think I will do is go back with the 148 gr and give it another honest go then try the 200 again. this will give them a fair chance to realy find what works best, not just follow the crowed. So at least two more trips to the range before I decide.
thanks

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
hotbarrel said:
I think you have something their. What I think I will do is go back with the 148 gr and give it another honest go then try the 200 again. this will give them a fair chance to realy find what works best, not just follow the crowed. So at least two more trips to the range before I decide.
thanks
Aw damn what a shame. On a side note, did you buy headspace gauges or just use the pin to line up the barrrel. Thats what I did, but I am considering buying or borrowing headspace gauges.

Let me/us know how the results go next time out.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did press in the barrel till the pin holes lined up then checked head space. it is good so I pressed in the pin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts