Gunco Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one has nagged me for years and I've changed my mind several times.

In my humble opinion, I believe that everybody who likes military firearms has asked himself under what conditions he might have to use the weapon to defend his country. Given this assumption, I've narrowed it down to three CATEGORIES, which are based on the following scenario:

SCENARIO: Let's say something, whether terrorism, invasion, natural disaster, etc., causes our soil be be occupied by an enemy--foreign or domestic--which does not have our best interests at heart. The only response is to fight back and defeat this enemy with force.

The school of thought you belong to basically describes what weapon you'll favor. I'm interested to know which category you put YOURSELF in.

Now, here are my three categories:

CATEGORY NUMBER ONE: The "Militia" Option

You're gung-ho not only to fight, but also to take the fight to the enemy's front door. You buy a cool high-capacity assault rifle like an AK, AR, etc., and plenty of ammo and magazines. You really want something full-auto, but legalities and the fact you're not rich enough to own a machine gun limit you to a semi-auto copy. You like to think that you and your buddies can defeat any enemy that dares to set foot on US soil. You either form or think about forming groups with other like-minded individuals--even if all you ever do to "train" is get together and shoot your cool assault rifles.

Since your cool assault rifle is semi-auto only, you'll probably pick up the first select-fire weapon that your enemy is not using anymore. Because your weapon is of shorter range than a full-power rifle, you'll expect to be fighting your enemy in closer quarters than you might like. You'll also depend on your buddies to a certain extent, since you'll be fighting a guerilla war against heavily armed enemy troops. You definitely don't want to be alone against superior numbers.

CATEGORY NUMBER TWO: The "Minuteman" Option

Being a civilian with no ambition to make offensive maneuvers against the enemy, you buy a basic everyday military rifle like an SKS, M-1 Garand, bolt-action Mauser, etc. You don't expect to even fire it in anger unless things get so bad that you and your like-minded buddies end up in a set-piece battle with the enemy. You'll basically be a defender and try to beat back the enemy, but you won't take the war to them. You're the guy defending Fort Apache or the Alamo, but you really don't want to see action unless it's part of a huge mobilization against the enemy. I could call this the "Settler" option also. If you think about how settlers in the Old West might have had to defend home and hearth against an Indian attack, but wouldn't pursue and hunt down the Indians after the attack was beat back, then you get the drift. For example, if you're entire town takes up arms, you'll be there, but otherwise you'd pretty much rather not get involved.

CATEGORY NUMBER THREE: The "Sniper" Option

You're basically a civilian who has no business playing weekend warrior. You really, really want to fight the enemy, though. You've practiced your shooting for years and you know some things about hunting and fieldcraft, so you elect to buy a full-power rifle of some kind that can "reach out and touch someone". I'll leave it to you to choose either a bolt gun or semi-auto, realizing that the bolt gun will probably be more accurate at longer range. Being basically a coward (I'm speaking for myself as well), but wanting to fight, you decide your best bet is to pick off enemy troops where you can and not try to rely on your "buddies" who probably haven't seen combat either. You want to keep your distance when you make your kill, that way you have time to get away and fight another day. Your motivation to take the battle to the enemy prevents you from being in CATEGORY TWO, but you don't feel that you can compete against enemy troops well enough to be in CATEGORY ONE either.

I'm tempted to wait and read other people's responses before giving my opinion of the three categories, but here goes:

I believe that when you're young and still going to live forever, you opt for CATEGORY ONE. As you get older and wiser you move more and more either to CATEGORY TWO or CATEGORY THREE. Your personality, motivation, time and money available, health, family concerns, and perhaps concern over what might happen to your country in the future determine which category you will eventually call "Home."

In my own experience, I very much started out in CATEGORY ONE, but now I'm moving on. For my mind, I could just as easily be happy with an SKS or a Rashid, but I love collecting AK's. Realistically, though, I have never been in the military. I'm 40 years old and have no business playing "Green Beret". But I can hunt; I'm a decent shot. I've hit man-sized targets easily at 300 yards with iron sights. I've clover-leafed groups at 100 yards with a scoped rifle. So, for now, I consider myself CATEGORY THREE. As I get older, lose interest, or otherwise don't have or won't take the time to stay in practice, I wouldn't be surprised if I move more toward CATEGORY TWO.

I guess my basic, long-winded point is that if you spend thousands of dollars on a bunch of fancy assault rifles when you're twenty-five, you may find yourself trading them off for more traditional battle rifles or even basic hunting guns as time goes by.

So which category do you put yourself in? Did I forget a category?

This is all been just a mental exercise of course, and I hope if nothing else this little discourse has been interesting and got you thinking. I know some of you will disagree totally, and that's why I said that this whole long thread is just my opinion. I just felt like starting a thread that I thought might get a zillion responses, so let's see how it goes...

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
To be honest, I'm not sure.
I'd like to think category one, But I've never been in a combat situation, so it's hard to say what would happen if the SHTF.

One good thing is that I own at least one of every weapon you mentioned except the Garand, and plenty to feed them.
So no matter which category I ended up in, I'd be properly equipped.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
not sure if I would categorize myself - I just know that if the situation arose that we would all need to be ready to defend our country. As to which way would be most effective - I am sure there would be a combination of all three personalities in any group of people.

·
1,763 Posts
I like to consider myself in catagory 1, although I think to be effective one would have to include all 3 scenarios.
I know if the SHTF I would be drilling that third hole, there wouldn't be any need for me to wait to pick one up from the cold dead hands of the enemy........

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Closer to 2 but that is because the only SHTF I believe is realistic is some breakdown of normal authority and services due to man made or natural disaster.

My enemy will be looters and foragers, not orgnaized military forces.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't know where I would be. I am a f..king lawyer, big mouth and think I am more important than I could ever be.

I pray to God that I am not a coward, and that if I had to I would fight for what we as Americans take so freely. I look at my father, a vet, who flew as a navagator in a B29. I see those that went on the beaches in France, South Pacific, Korea, and the rice patties in Vietnam. Now on the T.V. I watch those kids that should be driving around in high rev tuners, getting laid, and partying their asses off, but fighting for me. How could I ever equal what all of them have and are doing. My very simple answer is that I will always support them, charish what they have given me, and cry when one of them is no longer with us. I will never be trite about their sacrifice and live each day as an proud American, in tribute to them. Jack

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
I live on the border, so I think I'd be forced into a #1 situation real fast. Terrorists have already been know to enter the country within 60 or so miles of Tucson, and those aren't even the regular illegals which I think constitute an invasion.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I would do what it takes. The SHTF event would dictate my decisions.

And as always, Cephus, I can get to your house in a hour..

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I keep putting myself in category three because I'm only a flabby out-of-shape civilian who has no business competing against crack enemy troops. Even though I try to get as much exercise as I can, and I continually try to keep up with my shooting and survival skills, there is no way that a middle-aged man can keep up with a bunch of 18-year-old enemy troops. Otherwise, the armies of the world would draft middle-aged guys instead of teenagers.

But I remember a Shotgun News interview with a former Soviet veteran from their Afghan war.

When asked which type of enemy he feared most, he replied that he feared the lone Mujahadeen with a bolt-action Enfield rifle, shooting at him (in so many words) out of range of their AK's.

This speaks volumes. It says that even when we get too old or too fat to be "soldiers" that we could still make a difference on the battlefield.

One man with a precise, powerful rifle can equal the effectiveness of a much larger force of conventional troops.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well, being firmly entrenched in the middle age myself (40), I still think I could hump it in the first scenario.

Reasons being:

I am a avid CW reenactor. (I can still hump a pack through the mountains of WVA, in a wool uniform in the hundred degree heat.)

I work construction for a living, between reenactments. ( I hump all my own materials)

I'm the kind of lunatic that practices my woodcraft in the middle of the winter.

The nutjobs I ride with are fond of getting drunk at the bar, and then we practice "throwdowns". Basically, we just beat up and wrassell each other to see who comes out on top of the pileon.

Although grabbing my Mauser actioned "06" and heading into the coalmines, is starting to sound better and better as the years go by. :sniper:

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm in category 4.
Category 4 is resistance. It can be passive or active. It can be fun. In the resistance model you can do many things to screw up the occupier. You can poison their food or water, remove traffic signs, cut off power or anything you can think of to ruin their day. You do not need a gun. You can use a knife or a rock to kill the enemy. You do what it takes to make them dread the day and fear the night.

I spent 10 years in the USMC from 1964 to 1974 so I reject option 1. I have worked with the best and in my opinion most militias are a bunch of idiots that are good for nothing other than target practice. I would never join a "militia".

The sniper option could be a part of option 4 but option 4 can be done by anyone young or old. A 5 year old can cut a tire just as well as an 80 year old.

Resistance uses the tools at hand and the opportunities presented to do damage to the enemy. If they take my guns I will find a way to do them damage. As long as I breath I can resist. As long as I can resist I can keep enemy troops off the front lines guarding the rear and fearing the night.

Put me down as a #4. My tools are the knife, club, shoelace garratte, gun or just a crappy attitude.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think ALL of us are in CATEGORY 4.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts