Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normaly I would be in town buying grocerys, I go every Wednesday. I was to sick to go today. Just a few minutes ago the wall socket where I have an electric heater plugged in burst into flames. If I had not been home my Dog an everything else would be gone. I think this mobile home was made during the war between the states.:eek:
 

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
Joined
·
1,781 Posts
You're VERY lucky. A few years ago one evening there were a half dozen of us sitting around in my house. We'd just walked in the door not a minute before when a heavy duty appliance extension cord for the A/C melted down, arked out and burst into flames.

My house passed Lincon's funeral procession on the way here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,690 Posts
I also live in the sort of place that helps you to understand why building codes were developed.

Glad you don't have to deal with the irony of your own place burning down shortly after you were putting out someone else's fire, Lupe.
 

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
Joined
·
19,433 Posts
My wife damn near electrocuted herself Monday night plugging in some Christmas lights we put in all our windows.

Tripped the GFI and popped the breaker for everything on the second floor of the house. He hand was blackened. All due to a frayed extension cord none of us noticed.
 

·
Code name: Felix
Joined
·
6,361 Posts
Well Lupe, glad you are ok, plumbing already done, next: electric.

It never ends, does it?

me...I'm still painting on the weekends...all those wood trimmings are a pain.
 

·
Friend of MCMXI
Joined
·
8,717 Posts
Hey Lupe, if your mobile home is an older one like you indicated, I would have the wiring checked out all over. A lot of the older ones were wired with aluminum wiring. And if yours is, then you are probably going to continue to have problems. I hope I'm wrong for your sake, but please have it checked out. I hate to not be able to talk to you.

PS I'm also a licensed electrician.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Preacher said:
Hey Lupe, if your mobile home is an older one like you indicated, I would have the wiring checked out all over. A lot of the older ones were wired with aluminum wiring. And if yours is, then you are probably going to continue to have problems. I hope I'm wrong for your sake, but please have it checked out. I hate to not be able to talk to you.

PS I'm also a licensed electrician.
I checked for aluminum wire years ago, it's all copper but there is no rigidity to the walls, just vibrations from the HWY shake the walls and loosen stuff. I'd sell this place and move, but I'm to old to start all over, plus it would take a bunch of trucks to move ammo. Now I'll be bugging you for electrical info.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,836 Posts
Preacher, couldn't he put GFCIs in his breaker pannel to prevent that kind of thing? If his walls are not rigid enough then at least if a wire came loose it my trip. (What the heck do I know, just my -2cents) Thanks, Jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Custer said:
My wife damn near electrocuted herself Monday night plugging in some Christmas lights we put in all our windows.

Tripped the GFI and popped the breaker for everything on the second floor of the house. He hand was blackened. All due to a frayed extension cord none of us noticed.
My wife's bitching hard because I haven't put any lights up yet....
Can I borrow the cord?:scared: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
I am a firm believer in things happen for a reason, glad you were home to stop it! Do you have a fire extinguisher? Or smoke/CO Detectors?

If you have any electrical questions feel free to ask, I've been a licensed industrial electrician since 1979.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,518 Posts
Glad to hear no one was hurt. Things like this always seem to happen during the holidays. We should just get rid of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thealien said:
I am a firm believer in things happen for a reason, glad you were home to stop it! Do you have a fire extinguisher? Or smoke/CO Detectors?

If you have any electrical questions feel free to ask, I've been a licensed industrial electrician since 1979.
Yep, got all that stuff, been a firefighter for the last 15 years. I just might be asking a few questions before long. Thanks much.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First question, I plugged the heater, an oil filled radiator type into another outlet. The outlet it's self is very hot to the touch, how hot is to hot. I gotta have heat back in this part of the house because it's where I sleep?????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,690 Posts
Lupeloff said:
First question, I plugged the heater, an oil filled radiator type into another outlet. The outlet it's self is very hot to the touch, how hot is to hot. I gotta have heat back in this part of the house because it's where I sleep?????
As a fellow conoisseur of substandard housing...

I'm very paranoid of any outlets that are at all hot to the touch.

If your place is as drafty as mine is, kerosene heaters (KeroSun) are nice, although I'd never go to sleep with one running.

I was able to pick up a small wall-mounted heater for an RV that runs on LP gas and is designed to be safely run un-vented, and I rely on that to heat the back of my house.

I like those oil-filled heaters, but I found they were pretty expensive to run.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
aviator said:
Too Hot, warm should be ok or a tad hotter than warm , but if it burns your hand it's too hot.
Thanks, it's a little hotter than warm, but don't feel uncomfortable on the back of my hand. It's suposed to freeze tonight and this end of the house wants to be cold.
 

·
Code name: Felix
Joined
·
6,361 Posts
Maybe you should run just one line from the fuse box a #10 Romex into a new outlet there, just for the heater, to be on the safe side, if you feel up to it tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
aviator said:
Maybe you should run just one line from the fuse box a #10 Romex into a new outlet there, just for the heater, to be on the safe side, if you feel up to it tomorrow.
I'll try that, thanks.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top