Gunco Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have a few conditions that my WASR10 has just began to do. Due to my fiddling most likely:sick:

Let me start by saying none of these happened while shooting Wolf ammo. I was shooting Golden Tiger for the first time. Now i don't think my problems are a symptem of the ammo (don't "think") but thought i would try to cover all bases.

Let me also state the other things I have done to the rifle to try and help out the junk a** feeling trigger. Bare with me, since i don't know the proper names of these parts.
My WASR has a century single sided hook arm that latches the hammer as it is pushed back into the cocked position. Terrible trigger pull, and a long uneven pull.
I took a tiny file and smoothed the faces on the little ledge that the "hook" latch rests on of the hammer. I filled it just a smidge so when i pull the trigger it slips off the hammer just a bit easier.
I also took about .25 of a millimeter off the front of the trigger hook to allow it to slip off the hammer sooner (i think my problem:rant: ) for a shorter pull. Now what I did works fine when i manual just cock the gun and dry fire.

But with ammo, my gun wants to pop off 2 rounds at a time prob ever 3 or 4th shot.

Ive also noticed the gun now has trigger slap, I never felt that before.

So ......did a jack something up ? Or what? I think i need a new trigger, just the part with the hook.

While examining it closer and doing some function tests this is what I found is happening.

:eek: If I cock the rifle and hold the trigger down, and keep the trigger pulled the hammer is held cocked by that center latch device. Now "I THINK", when let off the trigger, the trigger hook should catch the hammer and hold it down........right? What is happening is when i let off the trigger the hammer is slipping up between the center latch and the trigger hook and thus firing off another round.
That said......anyone have just a trigger they want to get rid off? I don't want to spend on a whole group for this rifle, i just want to get it back working. I think my smoothing of the parts feels much better, i just over did it on the hook end i think.:thankyou:

[email protected]tir.com if you got something. Thanks:welcome:

Thanks

·
Registered
339 Posts
You can cure the trigger slap with some modifications to the Century fire control group, but I would suggest that you go to DPH Arms and order one of his $33 G2 fire control groups. It has much better trigger pull and no trigger slap. Did you happen to pull the disconnector apart from the trigger and possibly lose the disconnector spring?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its all put together proper. Yea a nice G2 FCG would be nice but i don't want to spend $30 on this gun.

Can anyone verify that that when the bolt is pulled rearward cocking the gun while holding the trigger down that the center latch is what holds the hammer cocked? And when let off the trigger hook holds it cocked?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Ummmmmmm.....well, you can get new trigger parts from century.
***SAFETY WARNING*** DO NOT introduce live ammo into your gun again until you replace the parts you have been filing on. You changed the geometry of the sear/hammer relationship while "filing just a smidge" off both parts, and it's not making contact correctly. This is unsafe and can lead to an out-of-battery discharge, otherwise known as a "KABOOM". This can lead to removing fractured pieces of metal from your head/neck/arms ect. I also strongly reccomend you pitch the modified parts.
Full auto AK's use an extra piece to retard the trigger system to reduce the rate of fire and prevent against out of battery fire.
I think most of us do some home AK smithin' here to one extent or another, but please, please do your research first!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well what I did was the polishing job on the stock crappy century parts. My problem is in the process I took off a smidge of the tip of the hook of the trigger hook.

I did some looking into the problem and the fact that , that tip is gone is 100% my problem. And I think i solved the problem....well possible bandage for it anyway.

The center latch, the thing that catches and keeps the rifle from going auto...think its called the disconnector, it holds the spring.

Anyway i removed that and filled off maybe a .10th of a millimeter on the bottom front edge to allow it to sit forward just a few degrees. So now if i hold the trigger down and cock the gun, the disconnector catches the hammer.......and when i release the trigger forward the trigger catch arm catches the hammer as it use to.

Pretty sure I did solve the problem. I did email century about a new trigger, waiting on a response, but I do think i fixed the problemo

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
OK. Good luck

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Here's info from Brand X that should answer any and all of your questions:
http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/links.htm

I would strongly encourage you to get a new US-made fire-control group,though. Romanian AK's are good weapons but the fire-control group (the three parts you've been fussing with) that Century puts in them is absolute crap. Five years from now when the Century fire-control group craps out entirely, you may find that quality US-made fire-control groups are no longer available.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea i will upgrade when i need to. Sort of, when i need to put money into it I will. I did find some triggers for $4.99 a set.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Well, I'm gonna partially agree and partially disagree with Magnus...

You can get busted by BATFE for "constructive possession" of a full-auto weapon if you have the goodies required for the conversion but haven't done it - e.g. if you had the stuff required to convert a M-1 carbine to an M-2 you could be busted even if you hadn't made the conversion. For an AR, I think the piece that gets you busted is an auto sear but I'm not sure. With an AK, what gets you busted is drilling a third hole in the receiver for the pin required to hold the full-auto mechanism.

But with an AK, you can have an full-auto hammer, sear, and trigger without having to worry about getting busted because it takes more than that to do the conversion.

That said, a very inexpensive fire-control group for an AK is invariably imported, and will throw your parts-count off - i.e. it will give you too many foreign parts in your weapon, and it will become an illegal imported assault weapon. Somehow a Romanian AK isn't imported so long as it doesn't have too many Romanian parts in it.

In anticipation of your question, nope, none of this makes any sense at all, and yes, most schizophrenics make more sense than BATFE regulations.

US-made fire control groups will probably be on the market for a while, but be advised that AK stuff tends to come and go on the market pretty quickly so you never know, and you never know whether the antis are going to be able to get a law through restricting parts sales.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i did get my rifle fixed. I just ended up filing the bottom edge of the disconnector so it leans a tad forward so the gap between it and the trigger hooks is tighter as it once was. Shot the rifle a bunch, works fine.

But as for the trigger. The crappy US made century trigger has no markings on it of any sort, none. The trigger i wanted to replace it is identicle to it. That is all i would have been swapping, as to have a safe working rifle.

To be honest im not too worried about having a foriegn trigger on my gun. Hell my car doesn't have any cats on it either. And I drive 10mph almost always........one a rebel!:bawling:

I have no intention of having a full auto gun, just wanted improved feel of the junk trigger.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
On my rifle...WASR-10 all of the Century parts have a "C" on them except for the gas piston which has nothing.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Toten Kopf said:
On my rifle...WASR-10 all of the Century parts have a "C" on them except for the gas piston which has nothing.
Was wondering about that. On my SAR-3 the Fire Control Group (FCG) parts were marked with a "c" with a circle around it. This may not be a Century FCG.

The chances of ever getting busted for having a dreaded imported assault weapon because you had too many foreign parts in your WASR-10 are exceptionally remote, but...

I'm an advocate of scrupulous compliance with even the most arcane and idiotic gun laws because if the man ever wants to bust you, the motivation to bust you comes first and coming up with something comes later. Residual paranoia, perhaps, from the sixties and seventies when political radicals would find themselves being railroaded on the weirdest charges. But remember the words of my successor when he formed the KGB from my NKVD:

"Just give me the man. I'll give you the crime."
-Beria

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Toten Kopf said:
Just FYI... If it's like a SAR, if you're ever called to task to prove that the piston is US-made, it's made of stainless steel. Imported pistons are chrome-plated carbon steel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts