Gunco Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Poof no eyebrows
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best Ak to buy, seems like there is a lot of variations on them. My dad has one he bought a long time ago, but no idea who made it. Any suggestions? Not really worried about price

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I like them all klauss, but if I had to choose, I'd pick a milled Bulgarian from Arsenal.
But again, I like them all.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I think to honestly help you with this question we need a bit more info. Kind of like what vehicle is the best. I love my geo, good on gas but not so good if I need to deliver dry wall. with that in mind what are your needs and wants, do you want it to have a more militalr look, like a folder. do you want the stability of a fixed stock. what are you planning on shooting at, paper targets, squerials, large deer?? what kind or distance will you need to shoot from? here in the thick woods we do not need anything over 100 yards..do you want a side rail scope mount or do you prefer open sights? even with all your needs met their will still be a few choises and prices. so put in some more detail and then your searsh can be narrowed down some.

·
Registered
211 Posts
hotbarrel said:
Kind of like what vehicle is the best. I love my geo, good on gas but not so good if I need to deliver dry wall.
:lol:
That's too funny ! Seriously, if you want a really good AK, look no further than the Norinco, if you want a stamped receiver. The trunion is a little meatier on a Norinco, and the trigger is undenyably smooth. They've also got the best fit and finish of a stock import. Wow, I'm kinda surprised nobody suggested this yet.

The factory stock is a little shitty, to say the least. But I had the Fiberforce on my last MAK90, and it makes it sooooo much better and easier to shoot. it's long enough, and makes the grip easier to manage.

:drunk:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Klauss,

It's almost like asking "what size is a white shirt"? Just kidding! They all seem to have their good & not so good features. I have Romanian, Hungarian, Bulgarian, & Chinese. I love em' all. I tend to favor those chambered in 5.45, but also have 7.62 & .223 models. I'm sure i didn't help you a bit, but jump on in, they are all fun. :harley: :harley:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You can get at least four different answers to what's the best AK:
1. What's the best-made AK?
2. What's be best bargain AK?
3. What's the available AK most similar to a military issue AKM? ...a military issue AK-74?
4. What's the most accurate AK?

Alas, I don't know what the answers to any of the above are anymore. When SAR's were being imported, I would have suggested a -1, -2, or -3 in response to question #2.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Another vote for Norinco here. I love mine.
And yes, the stock does remind one of a boat paddle. Dump it, the fiberforce is mucho better.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Money is no option, eh? Well OK then...

The AK-100 series is the latest evolution of the AK. There are valid arguments that suggest the AK-100 series is more desireable than any older designs. What do you want?

The Russians still use the AKM in Chechnya's urban warfare setting, which to me is a very convincing reason to consider the 7.62x39's penetration and hard-target performance - making the AK-103 and AK-104 perfect choices. I'd choose AK-103 for the additional muzzle velocity the 16" barrel offers vs. the 12" barrel of the AK-104.

The bullet performance of the 5.45 makes the AK-74M desireable to someone who wants good wounding characteristics. The Afghans named it the "poison bullet" when it first appeared. The AK-105 is the latest evolution of the "carbine" in the AK-74 caliber and fills the gap left when the Krinkov was retired, and would be my 5.45 choice. SBR of course, so extra paperwork and another $200.

Ammunition in the US being what it is, the AK-101 and AK-102 make the best choice if long-term ammunition supply is a question. Additionally, the 5.56 being the most-documented caliber of recent years, you have a lot of choices for optics and such. The most recent Galil and Valmet models are all 5.56 and not because they want to play by NATO rules, like with the Bulgarian and Polish armies. Again, very valid reasons these are good choices. The carbine model Galil - SAR - would probably be my first choice for 5.56 caliber AK rifles... that or my FNC. The FNC uses AR mags, making extra mags, C-Mags, etc, readily available. Galil mags are slightly harder to get and slightly more costly. The swedes chose the FNC and they are at the top of the world, requiring absolute performance in extreme conditions. They migrated from the G3 to the FNC. I wouldn't want to be forced to choose between between a Galil and an FNC.

You just won't go wrong with anything based on the AK design. Period.

You should spend some quality time here:

http://www.world.guns.ru/main-e.htm

http://www.tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru

http://www.remtek.com/arms/

These sites alone will give you most all the information available for AKs. ;)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
hcpookie said:
...You just won't go wrong with anything based on the AK design. Period....
I'm blocking on the name, but there's a US AK manufacturer noted for shoddy quality assurance. I'd like to give the fellow a heads-up, but can't recall the name. Anyone know who it is? Only AK manufacturer I've ever heard anyone be warned off from.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Personally I really like my Norincos. That said, they were alot better deal when I bought them than they are now...

You're lucky at this point in time to be buying your first Kalishnikov, with all the varieties currently available you're sure to find something you really like. If you're anything like most folks on the board just one will never be enough. I've got three calibers and eventually I'm sure some AK varient in .308 NATO will end up in the mix.

As far as the best bang for your buck I think the new "no-ban" WASR10 hi-caps are a pretty sweet deal. For around $300-350 you get an AK with some extras and the money saved compared to higher quality varieties affords you goodies like more mags/ammo/and or a 75 round drum (depending on any state or local laws that might apply).

Really though, you should probably try to handle a few at gunshows or gunstores to see which one really fits you best and appeals to your senses. You can always retro-fit stock extensions or change furniture down the road but if you find something you really like that you won't need to tinker on it's time and money saved. Be sure to let us know what you decide on.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:
I'm blocking on the name, but there's a US AK manufacturer noted for shoddy quality assurance. I'd like to give the fellow a heads-up, but can't recall the name. Anyone know who it is? Only AK manufacturer I've ever heard anyone be warned off from.
That is Hesse, aka Vulcan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts