Gunco Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, everyone knew it had to come up sooner or later. With the group buy going on I have to ask the perpetual noob question - what is best, single or double hook FCG's? :newbie:

I have a Polish PMKMS kit and (hopefully) a Vulcan receiver on the way. I know that the Vulcan receivers are cut for a single hook, but that can be changed without too much effort, if it's an advantage. But that is really the question, isn't it? :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Cammer said:
Okay, everyone knew it had to come up sooner or later. With the group buy going on I have to ask the perpetual noob question - what is best, single or double hook FCG's? :newbie:

I have a Polish PMKMS kit and (hopefully) a Vulcan receiver on the way. I know that the Vulcan receivers are cut for a single hook, but that can be changed without too much effort, if it's an advantage. But that is really the question, isn't it? :)

"Better" is a relative term. The original AK-47 trigger was double hook. The only reason the single hook even exists is that when the stamped AKM was first fielded, the designers noted that the gun would occasionally fire out of battery due to excessive bolt carrier bounce when the gun was fired on full-auto. The designers added a "hammer retarder" to the right side of the trigger to slow down the hammer fall, and thus one of the hooks on the trigger had to go.

People report that single hook FCG's are more prone to trigger slap than double hook FCG's. Fit of the parts is also a factor. Trigger slap is a complex problem with as many opinions as to its origin as there are guns that suffer from it. Suffice it to say, if your receiver is cut for a double hook trigger, then you're better off with a double hook trigger. :rockin:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I put a double hook FCG in my sar-1 and the difference is like night and day. No more trigger slap and way better trigger pull. Fairly new to AKs so I can just speak from my experience. The extra slot is easy to put in with just a small round file the same size as the existing slot.

·
Registered
621 Posts
alpo said:
I put a double hook FCG in my sar-1 and the difference is like night and day. No more trigger slap and way better trigger pull. Fairly new to AKs so I can just speak from my experience. The extra slot is easy to put in with just a small round file the same size as the existing slot.
Your post illustrates why double-hook FCG's are superior. Arsenal has begun putting single hook FCG's in its SLR101 series, probably because K-VAR thought it was going to be stuck with a bunch of inventory when Century announced it was going to stop importing SAR's.

The genuine newly manufactured Arsenal SA M7's all use double hook triggers, but I guess since Arsenal converts the SLR101's from single-stack guns they thought they could get away with installing single-hook triggers . They probably think that the SLR101's are not part of their "premium line".

I can't argue with their wanting to use up excess parts inventory, but being that the single hook triggers are not as smooth as double hook triggers, I think they are taking a chance on creating an impression that they are starting to skimp on quality.

A lot of companies have premium product lines and economy product lines, but in my opinion, if they consider the SLR101's to be economy grade, then their pricing should be closer to that of a Romanian SAR than the premium grade SA M7.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have three AKs. I like the trigger on my SAR1 that I smoothed out, it is a single hook but it is a 2 stage trigger. I had to do a lot of work on this trigger and disconnector (no slap). I have a double hook gordon tech fcg in a SLR-100h that is smooth as butter but it is a single stage pull (sometimes you can not tell when it is going to go off). The third one is a Polytech AKS-762 underfolder and it has good trigger from the factory.

·
Long Arm of the LAW
2,385 Posts
I've used double hooks on all my AK's. They seem to be smoother on the pull and I have never had any "slap".

I have a whole bunch of single hook triggers I'll be happy to swap for double hook triggers...if anyone is interested!!! :smile:

·
Registered
41 Posts
ZOID ZODIAN said:
Your post illustrates why double-hook FCG's are superior. Arsenal has begun putting single hook FCG's in its SLR101 series, probably because K-VAR thought it was going to be stuck with a bunch of inventory when Century announced it was going to stop importing SAR's.
Hmmm, the only double hook I own is in the Galil. The rest are single hooks. No slap and smooth as silk right out of the box. But they are FSE FCGs, which I think give as good a trigger pull as anything short of an RSA.

I've shot plenty of rifles with double hooks and virtully none of them are distinguishable from the FSE single hook.

My advice: if your receiver is cut for double hook, get a double hook. If it is cut for single hook, get a single hook. A well made FCG will give you a good pull with no slap regardless of the number of hooks.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
My advice: if your receiver is cut for double hook, get a double hook. If it is cut for single hook, get a single hook. A well made FCG will give you a good pull with no slap regardless of the number of hooks.
I think you have something their QUALITY is what makes the differance. not the quantity of hooks.
Sorry to say I think I am going for double hook anyway, heck I have to choise one way or another... BUT I am going quality first. G2

·
Registered
41 Posts
hotbarrel said:
BUT I am going quality first. G2
I think the quality on the FSE is equivalent to the G2. Maybe slightly better. I can't see paying an extra $10 for the little axle sleeve by which the larger hole in the disconnector weakens the part. Plus, FSE guarantees teh parts for life, regardless if you are the original purchaser or not.

Just MHO.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Sheik Yerbouti
will you post some info ware I can find them and compare
thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
hotbarrel said:
Sheik Yerbouti
will you post some info ware I can find them and compare
thanks
I wish I could. I guess I'm going to have to buy a G2 and put some pictures and comparisons on my brother's web page. The reason I can't is that Harold Shinn, owner of FSE, doesn't have a web page. I buy mine from RPB. I'm pretty sure that if you call RPB ans ask for Russell, he will let you order a set, and if you are not completely satisfied, he will take them back. That's just the kind of guy Russell is.

I found out about FSE back during the period when I was building a FAL a week. The DSA FCG was $100. The FSE was $50. I could not tell any difference in quality. Several of the top FAL 'smiths were recommending them. And the one time when there was a heat treatment problem with one run of hammers, FSE took the hammers back and replaced them, no questions asked, even if the hammer was still intact and you only suspected it was from the bad batch. In fact, Mr. Shinn was proactive in posting to all the known gun boards at that time, making sure the word got out. I just can't see a producer who values his reputation like Mr. Shinn does having high quality in one part of his product line and having crap in another part of his product line. Especially when dealing with firearms aficianados, who are known to be a particularly discriminating, demanding, and vicious consumer group. ;)

The only G2 group I have is an older model which doesn't have the axle sleeve. It works just fine and I am very pleased with it. If I could get G2s cheaper than I could get FSEs, I'd switch over. I am suspicious of the changes made to the disconnector to accomodate the sleeve, though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts