Gunco Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I know that somebody here knows the answer to this:
What size do I need to thread the muzzle of my SAR-3 to use a muzzle device? The muzzle is mic'ing at 12.92mm or so. Any recommendations on which muzzle device to use (I'd like to use the AK-74 device if possible) Also, anybody have this item that I could rent? Borrow? (I'd pay shipping both ways, of course)
TIA

·
Registered
43 Posts
I threaded mine to 1/2x28 and put a 24mm thread adapter and a bulgy
AK-74 muzzle brake. I also had to drill the front sight for the muzzle detent.

dixieboy

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
As noted above, the muzzle is the right diameter for 1/2X28 threading. That's the same as the threading for AR muzzle devices, so you may want to consider one of those, along with other 1/2X28's such as the Vortex flash-hider. www.brownell's.com has a pretty extensive selection of 1/2X28-threaded comps and flash-hiders.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Another option is a 22mm adapter. They come in 1/2 x 28 and a press fit version. They sell these at Investment Grade Firearms.

The downside, is that K-Var is out of the 22mm brakes.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm.....how bout that? AR-15 1/2 X 28......ah-ha! Global Trades has a AK74 style brake threaded 1/2X28 for AR-15's, says for .223 projectiles only, nice price too at $14.99.

·
Registered
812 Posts
cammobunker said:
Hmmm.....how bout that? AR-15 1/2 X 28......ah-ha! Global Trades has a AK74 style brake threaded 1/2X28 for AR-15's, says for .223 projectiles only, nice price too at $14.99.

Dang! I looked and looked for the right compensator for my .223 ak with a 1/2-28 threaded barrel. I looked at global several times but never in the AR section! I ended up getting a 1/2-28 to 24mm thread adaptor ($10) and a AK-74 24mm compensator ($18). This is DEFINITLY a good alternative for those with .223 (and maybe the 5.45 AK-74???don't know).

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
meyerse said:
Dang! I looked and looked for the right compensator for my .223 ak with a 1/2-28 threaded barrel. I looked at global several times but never in the AR section! I ended up getting a 1/2-28 to 24mm thread adaptor ($10) and a AK-74 24mm compensator ($18). This is DEFINITLY a good alternative for those with .223 (and maybe the 5.45 AK-74???don't know).
#$#@#$#,,,,,yea, I knowticed that just yesterday as I was flipping through my global cat. The big kick in the teeth for me was that 3 weeks ago I called dynasystems-ltd and had them custom make a 1/2x28 AK-74 break. Expensive booger too! #@$#$$#@#$#

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK......anybody got a 1/2 X 28 threading die I can rent?
Can't see buying one for one use. I probably won't ever own another SAR-3 and I KNOW I won't own as AR.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Hey cammo,
wjm just sent me an email filling me in on some of the latest stories of people who've been renting his threading kits.
Idiot of the week:

Renter, in violation of my rental agreement, shipped a kit parcel post, instead of priority mail. No big deal, you say. He shipped it to Hawaii, which means it goes by boat, and takes 4+ weeks. When asked how he shipped the kit (13 days and hadn't arrived), his answer was: "I shipped it the cheapest way, which was parcel post". That's bad, you say? Well the renter in Hawaii is leaving for 2 weeks vacation on the mainland in 1 week.

The kit will be out of service for about 6 weeks - his savings: $1.75

Best regards,
Jeesh,,,,can you believe that?
If you don't know how to contact wjm, pm me and I'll give you his email. He charges $20, no matter how many barrels you thread.
He's a great guy to deal with.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
cammobunker said:
if I can manage to keep it straight on the barrel.
No, no,,,don't do that. The die should be perfectly in line w/ the barrel while starting your threads.(ie-Use a T.A.T.) Here's a link that will help you out
Die's, TATS and Kits I hope this helps!

·
Registered
812 Posts
75_stingray said:
No, no,,,don't do that. The die should be perfectly in line w/ the barrel while starting your threads.(ie-Use a T.A.T.) Here's a link that will help you out
Die's, TATS and Kits I hope this helps!
I have to agree, sure it is possible to do it without the TAT, but it sure makes life easy! I'd also recomend wjm and his kit. In his instructions his recomended method was to have someone sit in a chair holding the rifle between thier knees with the butsock on the ground while the second person runs the die.

Got the kit on a Friday night, convinced the wife to hold the rifle while I ran the die, had it done in 35 mins. Follow the instructions closely, backing the die out every once in while to clear the threads and inspect your work.....

now.....if I would have known about the .223 comp at global trades, renting the die and installing the break would have been CHEEP.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts