Gunco Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using Windows XP. It came with my notebook and is a big improvement over W98SE and Windows Mellenium. It doesn't degrade as they did, nor does it require repeated defrags and disk scans.

I tried Red Hat Linux 7.2 and then 8.0 a couple of years ago. They were not end user friendly. I simply could not get popular multimedia programs my daughters liked, and frankly it could be a pain in the butt. Just upgrading java took me 1 1/2 days, partly because the instructions furnished by Sun Microsystems were wrong. Windows does it instantly.

I even tried Linows, a Linux package with a Windows-type user face. It may have been competitive 7 years ago, but it had many less applications than Windows. However, what it had was either freee, or inexpensive. A nice Star Office Suite cost $50.00, and many Microsoft files could be used with it.

Lindows, now Linspire, still markets its Operating System for $50.00. Some people get a program which runs Windows through Linux, but it is slower, and not all Windows programs run on it.

I wonder whether Linux packages for end users will dry up and whither away now that Windows XP has spread around the world?

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I would say that XP is the best MS OS I've seen. We went from 95 to 2000 and now XP in our business. We have very few issues with the OS anymore and 2000 did degrade over time. If your hard drive kept running and running like you were doing a big download you knew it was time to re-blast and start over.

I've had XP on my home system for over 2 years and it has not yet puked. The only issue I have had is spyware which is not MS fault. The spyware cleaners we use in the IT dept here at work cleaned it up and it's chugging away. Never did I have an OS last 2 years without re-blasting in the past since DOS!

BTW: I recommend Ad-aware personal and Spybot for current cleaners as the best free ones to use. We have 5 selected to use here, but we only use the other 3 when a machine is highly infected. I've seen machines with over 1000 spyware entires! Yuck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts