Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the shortest barrel length possible with the 7.62 and still have reliable function?

Any pictures of super shorties?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I think droog has done some experimenting with this. If he misses this I would give him a pm

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Pictures are always good. :)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
With the use of a muzzle booster you can go real short.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lupeloff said:
With the use of a muzzle booster you can go real short.
Actually there is no such thing as a "muzzle booster". I could get long winded on this but it has been covered before.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
well acccording to the jap book on the AK that has a write up about the AKMS, 8 inches is probably the shortest barell length you can go, same length as the AKS-74U...... but that also has a gas expansion chamber (booster), similar to the AKS-74U to drive the piston in a short barrel. now I would image that the gas hole in the barrel would be of a different diameter then on a regular AKM.....but as for how much bigger, I don't know.

when I took my AKS-74U to the range last week, I took off the booster just to see how the rifle would function.......it doesn't function every well with it off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i love the look of the krink but i think the amd65 length is a good compromise between sexy and practical for aimed firing beyond 25 yards, at 25 yds i was nailin bullseyes the whole time, beyond that i need optics for sure

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hmmmm, muzzle booster still sounds a little funny. I would call it a muzzle extension after reading that website. Also note is claims that the "muzzle booster" is merely hiding the 16" barrel. So is it a muzzle booster, muzzle extension, or muzzle hider? To be technical, the muzzle is still in the same place as it was before the "booster" so it's barrel hider. :)

UnderFolder

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Let me just say I have built very short AKs, they would not cycle until I installed a MUZZLE BOOSTER, so to my old feble mind they exist and work. Ain't got time to argue the point. Been in use for a loooong time.

http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/pro15.html

This is a better example.:)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
UnderFolder said:
To be technical, the muzzle is still in the same place as it was before the "booster" so it's barrel hider. :)

UnderFolder
no not really.......and it's isn't a flah hider either, the thing gives out a fire ball when you fire it. it actually is a muzzle booster, sort of like what is on a M1919, it traps the expended gas and helps drive the bolt group along with the gas piston...........I don't know the physics of the thing, but I do know that without it on there, the weapon will not cycle properly and you get FTE.

the AKS-74U that I have is not a pistol, but a SBR.....I gotta tell you this little thing gives a hell of a kick then the a fullsize 74, which really surprised me, seeing this is a 5.45.....I just hate to see what a 7.62 in this short barrel configuration would feel like.....glad I went the SBR route instead of building a pistol, I folded the stock on it, and fired it like it was a pistol, using both hand, and it's just too cumbersome and awkward to fire a full mag like that....the recoil although not really bad if you have a stock to it, and fire it like a rifle...is really annoying trying to fire it and sighting it on the target as a pistol. I can rapid fire this thing fast as a rifle, and hit what I am aiming at, then shooting it like a pistol, with both hands, and hopefully hitting what you are aiming at.....granted it may look good as a pistol and you don't have to go through the NFA route.....but it isn't all that great firing it like that.

if you are going to go though the trouble of making one, I would go all the way and pay the 200 bucks so you can have a clone of a AKS-4U, and not one that kinda looks like one, that is if you your state and local community doesn't forbid you owning one.

here is my AKS-74U, I didn't care for the look of the brown bulgarian handguards, so I replace it with a set of soviet laminated ones.

it cost me about 875 to have one built, and that is including the 200 dollar tax stamp. I didn't need to buy any additional US parts, except the receiver, the smith modified the FCG that came with the kit.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Trying to collect some shorty images myself:

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK_Pistol/others/otherprojects.htm

Droog's of course:
http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK_Pistol/others/overall%20.JPG

Also mizlplick's AOW rifle:

Information he posted about his build:

"30 cal.,Fixed stock type 3 with 5.5" barrel, Krinkov top cover, Bulgy FSB/Gas cyl, and a cut down Bulgy vert. handguard. wood stained with iodine then clear laquered

When you go shorter than a Krinkov it gets real complicated!

You must shorten the handgards (easy) and the gas tube (hard).

It took most of a day to shorten the gas tube. You must drill out all of the spot welds on the front and rear flanges. After they are removed, you will find that the rear milled piece around the tube is spot welded also. Drill it out and slide it all the way forward on the smooth part, cut the rear part off and reweld it in the original spot weld holes (TIG).

Shorten the front to the new length, make it 1/16" too long. Install the front and rear flanges, align and weld up the spot welded holes. You then must heat and carefully reform the front opening round so it will go over the gas cylinder.

Then fit it to the gun by using a belt sander to shorten and try, shorten and try untill it just goes into place. When a gas tube is this short, the bottom of the front opening must be cut shorter than the top to facilitate the ark while installing it.

The gas piston is relatively simple, just 5/8" stainless bar stock and an hour of lathe time."
Enjoy...

·
Registered
704 Posts
Those pics are of a registered receiver full auto .I talked to guy that built it . He measures his barrels from the front of the receiver not from the face of the bolt so its longer than 5.5". I think its about 8" long.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Lupeloff,
Don't be so sensitive, I'm not trying to argue anything. It just sounds a little funny to me, but what do I know. I am certainly no expert. Thanks for the link.
UnderFolder

1 - 20 of 20 Posts