Gunco Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with the National Firearms Act branch of the ATF. I sent in an application to build a couple of NFA firearms on September 16, this year. They cashed the $400 check about a month after that. In that it's been over 90 days I started calling them to check on the status of my ATF form 1 this week. They don't have a toll free number, and............they don't even have voice mail. If you call them and they don't answer the phone you just get a message that says to call back later. After calling a half dozen or so times and spending I don't know how much on long distance, I finally got thru to talk to someone this morning. Some lazy ass slow talking b#[email protected]# answered and mumbled something I couldn't even understand. Finally I got to talk to her supervisor that could at least speak halfway understandable English. (I'm not going to mention what race they sounded like, but you can guess) The supervisor said hold on and I could hear him shuffling papers and opening drawers, etc. Finally he got back on the phone and said "here it is - we were just going to get to it today, and it will be approved". That's exactly what they told me the last time when I applied for a NFA stamp. They wait to do anything untill you start bugging them. I guess I'll finally get the stamps, but it really honks me off that is where our tax money is going. :rant:

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
This is a very contrived way of doing things. Whenever a law gets passed that the rank and file don't like, a system is put into place to defeat the implementation of that law. On another forum they talk about the process for getting a Pennsylvania firearm. The State passed a shall carry law and at first getting a firearm was as easy as showing your CCW ID and walking out the door. But guess What? The state employees who had to administer the program are all democrats. So they ended up setting up a system of implementation that is so restrictive that people get denied now for no reason and they have no recourse. Any law is only as good as it's implementation. If the state beaurocrats(sp) don't want to implement then they won't. Or they will at least make the process excruciatingly painful.

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
1,604 Posts
You forgot arrogant. I have to sue our local police chief for a writ of mandamus because some arrogant underling is 100% wrong and just won't listen. She has told me at least 3 times that I may be a lawyer but I must not know THIS law. Of cours I don't know the laws that she makes up. There is no review process in place, but guess what? When I file the suit, the COP will be indignant and want to know: why didn't I run it past him before going to Court?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Bluedog said:
You forgot arrogant. I have to sue our local police chief for a writ of mandamus because some arrogant underling is 100% wrong and just won't listen. She has told me at least 3 times that I may be a lawyer but I must not know THIS law. Of cours I don't know the laws that she makes up. There is no review process in place, but guess what? When I file the suit, the COP will be indignant and want to know: why didn't I run it past him before going to Court?
For the legalese challenged among us:

Mandamus
A writ which commands an individual, organization (eg. government), administrative tribunal or court to perform a certain action, usually to correct a prior illegal action or a failure to act in the first place.

I had no idea what this was, so I looked it up and posted to save others the hassle.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Pogo said:
... (I'm not going to mention what race they sounded like, but you can guess)...
Another Lichtensteiner no doubt.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dzerzhinsky said:
Another Lichtensteiner no doubt.
Yeah, they are worthless. :D

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
About 5 weeks after applying for my C&R FFL I received a call from a "Democrat" with the BATF saying that she was putting a hold on my app because of a returned check from 1982. Believe it or not, I remembered the said check. She said that she would need a copy of a doc, with the letterhead of the police department who had jurisdiction, stating that restitution had been fulfilled. "Mam,,, THAT WAS IN 1982. IT WAS PAID IN 1982!!!!"

Well, off to the police station I go. Wanna know what they did? THEY LAUGHED ME OUTTA THE PLACE! Sir, that was over 23yrs ago. We didn't even have computers back then. Theres no way in hell that we could find that paperwork!

Needless to say, I called ATF and told them to send my money back. What a crock! :angry:

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stingray,

You should have called your congressman and filed a complaint. A bureaucrat can't deny you something based on a personal opinion. They try it sometimes, and quite often get away with it because they aren't challenged. If I were you I'd apply again, that is no justification to deny a permit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts