Gunco Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you and spot weld them and screw them on. Are there any other ways? Rivets? Silver Solder? What would be the pluses and minuses? Whats the factory method? I should look at mine huh, lol? Whats the easiest? I don't like the idea of screwing them on, esp since everything else I'll be able to rivet up. I don't have a spot welder but I will get a MAPP or MAPP/O2 setup.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
I recently added a MIG welder to my arsenal of equipment, so I've started welding them in.

I drill 4 holes through the receiver and rosette (AKA plug) weld them in.

I have bolted them in, in the past, but I never really was crazy about the idea.

I love the idea of spot welding them (as original) but figured a spot welder is a one trick pony.
Although I primarily bought the MIG for welding rails, I've already used it for other tasks.
It was a lot more expensive than a spot welder, but I still feel that I'm getting a lot more bang for my buck with it.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm, remember guys my workshop is going to be my spare bedroom in my apartment, lol. Not sure if Mig, Tig, or Arc welding fits into that picture. I guess that means I need to pick up a spot welder and modify it to work on these recievers. Or am I overestimating the difficulty/ expense of other systems?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Spot welding can be easy, once you modify the lower prong for clearance. You have to be quick with the trigger because it doesn't take long to burn through. JB weld fixes burn throughs though.... :bangin:
I would suggest the 110 volt spot welder because the 220 volt is much harder to control heat time.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
One trick pony or not, I'm a sucker for a deal.

I just received the new harbor freight catalog, low and behold, what do they have on sale?
You guessed it, 115v spot welders. $149 (#45689-3vga regularly $199) and free shipping (a good deal since they weigh 25+ lbs, although they do bag you $5.95 handling on the total order) $155 out the door.

http://www.harborfreight.com/

I just ordered one, along with a air brush (#1500-4vga $20) for applying the finish that Jack was talking about in another thread, a set of letter/number stamps (#800-5vga $8.99) for adding serial numbers and a couple of other small items.

George, I need info on how you modified the arm to fit inside the receiver.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Speaking of stamp sets, I swear I've seen a set in cyrillic, but I've searched and asked and now I can't find it. Anyone have any info on those?

7.62 thatnks for the heads up on the welder on sale, ugh another $150, lol. Might have to wait a week or two.

·
Registered
522 Posts
erikk said:
I have been using the HF 115V spot welder on my builds. It is fast, easy and works!
How long do you hold it? I am considering gettin one. Also how do you modify the arms?

·
Registered
825 Posts
7.62x39 said:
George, I need info on how you modified the arm to fit inside the receiver.
Here is the picture of the mod...compliments of "gunnysmith". It works great!

·
Registered
825 Posts
fal_shooter said:
How long do you hold it? I am considering gettin one. Also how do you modify the arms?
I am not sure how long you hold the 110V, but I barely bump the trigger on and off several times until I see the metal turn red. If I hold the trigger for more than a second with the 220v welder, I burn through....and I have!!!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just get it set, hit the switch and count to 3 1-AK, 2-AK, 3-AK done....Then let it sit for a few seconds to cool down before moving on to the next one to make sure the weld holds.

·
Registered
825 Posts
erikk said:
I just get it set, hit the switch and count to 3 1-AK, 2-AK, 3-AK done....Then let it sit for a few seconds to cool down before moving on to the next one to make sure the weld holds.
There is a big difference in the time needed between the 110v and 220 volt.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I like to screw the ejector rail on and have someone spot-weld the other rail because if that one is screwed on, the safety will hit it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts