Gunco Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody.

My Norton just intercepted a attempt to hack me.
It was listed as Gate Crasher trojan horse.

Make sure your AV program is running.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Good question Cephus!! ???

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
They scan your IP address on the network. Sometimes they just scan a whole range looking for a gap to get into your system.

Your IP is like your phone number on the internet.

·
Registered
681 Posts
unless someone was here, trying to be a douche bag...
I think you can get programs to give you a user's IP address, and use a port sniffer to detect unused or open ports, and try to get in that way. Make sure your firewall is on, and your antivirus is up to date. There are lots of assholes out there.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sks_hunter said:
unless someone was here, trying to be a douche bag...
I think you can get programs to give you a user's IP address, and use a port sniffer to detect unused or open ports, and try to get in that way. Make sure your firewall is on, and your antivirus is up to date. There are lots of assholes out there.
Or if you had administrative access at a forum where I USED to be a member, You would have my IP already.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Yeah but there are also outfits that highjack 100s of thousands of computers all accross the world.. They use a little bit of your proccesor, and your memory.. This gives them one hell of a super computer.. Illegal, but shit happens when you party naked..

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
plus zone alarm has a free edition for download.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mike26038 said:
Yeah but there are also outfits that highjack 100s of thousands of computers all accross the world.. They use a little bit of your proccesor, and your memory.. This gives them one hell of a super computer.. Illegal, but shit happens when you party naked..
That's why I did not make any accusations.
In Sangs case (way back) it was obvious.

I use Norton Internet security professional, it includes, among other things, a firewall and AV protection.

Seems to work well except it will not allow some javascript

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
Download SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard. Also worth downloading is SpyBot Search & Destroy. These programs will all detect and obliterate most spyware. They can also stock your "restricted sites" list in Internet Explorer with the worst of the worst offenders of ActiveX and script loaders. I also use PopUpCop (requires purchase).

Even with all of this protection, you can still get hit by worms or virii. You should have at least 2 anti-virus programs. I highly advise against McAfee. It just doesn't have the same level of effectiveness or accuracy of other AV programs. If you use McAfee, disable the auto-protect. Let another program like Norton run actively and use the other programs for weekly system scans.

Programs like Weatherbug and all that cute free utility crap is LOADED with spyware. Update Windows and your AV programs regularly.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I use Symantec for virus since we use it at work and it's good.

Black Ice or also called Desktop protector for firewall.

Ad-aware SE for spyware and Spybot search and destroy for spyware. Both are free at download.com.

Mozilla is a good browser as it has built in pop-up protection.

If you use IE the get the Google toolbar add on for blocking pop-ups.

Also, screw Aol instant messenger as it's a spyware magnent.

If you get Wildtangent spyware on your system you can cleanse it with spy killers and uninstall it, but that's not all you have to do.

You have manually take it out of your registry as well. It can be in the 80 times or more and will not go away until you take it out.

We deal with these problem at work all the time. The other day I cleaned a system that had over 500 spyware programs in it. There were over e 100 Wildtangent entries. Everytime I see Wildtangent it's an AOL instant messenger user.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I woke up this morning with 2 intrusion attempts--:angry: I keep my AV and firewalls up--I normally block access going out and coming in when I go to sleep, but I forgot last night

·
Registered
625 Posts
Cephus try this: http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp
Zone Alarm is free for home use and is one of the best. (BlackIce is good also) If I can get it to work so can you, it?s easy to set up. I?m on a dialup connection and have had as many as 110 hits an hour trying to find an open port on my computer, but the average is more like 5 an hour. They?re not all hackers but why give any of them a chance to screw you. By the way if you see ?Maximum PC Magazine? on the rack at a store take a look, it comes with a CD full of software and will have a copy of Zone Alarm a couple times a year.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
OK, this is actually what I do for a living. I'm an IT guy for a semi-small (about 800 or so systems) company, and I used to work for the Wal-mart ISD, the largest private database in the world.
McAfee and Norton are really similar in what they do. I recommend Ad-Aware, followed by Spybot (run both!) to clean spyware-and be sure to go out and update the program, as they are constantly changing the spyware to get around the anti-spyware programs.
Wild Tangent isn't a really that bad a program, it's primarily intended for games and chat, really it's about a 3 or 4 threat level (from 1-10). Trojans are bad news in any form, and can be spyware or a hack attempt. A gate crasher is a hack attempt.
The really ugly spywares include CoolSearch, Bubbawintools, Iwon, ClearSearch, Gator........there are literally hundreds. Some are very difficult to remove and are even difficult to find once installed.
Rhino is right, all that free cutesey crap like screen savers, Webshots desktop, free cursors, Hotbar, Smileycentral.com and others are indeed not only loaded with spyware-it's why they exist, to secretly load spyware on your machine.
I'f you are having a problem with spyware PM me and I'll help you out.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
SangRun Hunter said:
I use Symantec for virus since we use it at work and it's good.

Black Ice or also called Desktop protector for firewall.

Ad-aware SE for spyware and Spybot search and destroy for spyware. Both are free at download.com.

Mozilla is a good browser as it has built in pop-up protection.

If you use IE the get the Google toolbar add on for blocking pop-ups.

Also, screw Aol instant messenger as it's a spyware magnent.

If you get Wildtangent spyware on your system you can cleanse it with spy killers and uninstall it, but that's not all you have to do.

You have manually take it out of your registry as well. It can be in the 80 times or more and will not go away until you take it out.

We deal with these problem at work all the time. The other day I cleaned a system that had over 500 spyware programs in it. There were over e 100 Wildtangent entries. Everytime I see Wildtangent it's an AOL instant messenger user.
Windows XP service pack 2 also has pop up blocker for internet explorer. But mozilla firefox is a wonderful browser too. Wild tangent comes on HP systems (at least it came on my laptop), this is because of some of the games offered by HP. Best thing to do is to go into the firewall and deny it access. The games still play - but the program won't access. I know another bad one is ICQ - I like using the program but don't like the problems that can come with using it.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yeah, all the instant messenger services are bad for this. XP Sp2 also has a built in firewall, but there are downsides to SP2....it,uh can kill some programs until you patch them (notably Nero CD/DVD creation software), and it will kill some drivers as well (TWAIN drivers for scanners seem to be affected). You may need to do some tweaking to adjust for the changes SP2 does.
It's nice to have my pop-up blocker run as a service instead of a program though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts