Gunco Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I need your assistance. I'm trying to reproduce the Soviet laminate orange, red, iodine look, using shellac and dyes. I have a general idea as to which dye colors to use, but I'm not certain when it comes to the shellac. I'm debating between Ruby Red, Garnet and Orange shellac. I make my own shellac using flakes and then add the dyes.

I know that there is no set standard when it comes to Cold War Soviet shellac on laminate. The "orange" laminate furniture I've seen ranges from bright orange (w/ a bit a brown), to burnt orange to more of an iodine color.

1. Which shellac flakes should I use?
2. What color dyes should I mix into the shellac?

Any tips and/or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you.

Here are some examples of the orange look I'd like to replicate. They come from Tantal's website.

[/quote]

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
A couple of different guys recommend about 4 coats of iodine rubbed into the wood and then either tung oil or shellac as a top coat. I'm gonna try it this weekend and then post pics.

Thanks!

Here's another variant of the Iodine Orange.

While I'm waiting on the Thai Seedlac, I decided come mix Transtint "Reddish Brown" into Garnet shellac and this is what I got. The photo quality (glare) is bad.

·
Registered
14,032 Posts
Those came out nice

Is the upper lighter on one side, or is it just the lighting?

·
Registered
14,032 Posts
I know what you mean, I'm just a point and shoot photographer and hope for the best :D , maybe you can talk BlueJack into helping you with that.

I still think it looks great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.