Gunco Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OH MY GOD! Not the F-word! I'm sure a 13 year old has NEVER heard that before.

Wal-Mart Sued Over Evanescence CD Lyrics
Dec 10, 5:55 PM EST

Associated Press

Evanescence's music: listen & download

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., which promotes itself as a seller of clean music, deceived customers by stocking compact discs by the rock group Evanescence that contain the f-word, a lawsuit claims.

The hit group's latest CD and DVD, "Anywhere But Home," don't carry parental advisory labels alerting potential buyers to the obscenity. If they did, Wal-Mart wouldn't carry them, according to the retailer's policy.

But the lawsuit claims Wal-Mart knew about the explicit lyrics in the song, "Thoughtless," because it censored the word in a free sample available on its Web site and in its stores.

The complaint, filed Thursday in Washington County Circuit Court, seeks an order requiring Wal-Mart to either censor or remove the music from its Maryland stores.
It also seeks damages of up to $74,500 for each of the thousands of people who bought the music at Wal-Marts in Maryland.

"I don't want any other families to get this, expecting it to be clean. It needs to be removed from the shelves to prevent other children from hearing it," said plaintiff Trevin Skeens of Brownsville.

Skeens said he and his wife, Melanie, let their daughter buy the music for her 13th birthday and were shocked when they played it in their car while driving home.

Wal-Mart, of Bentonville, Ark., has no immediate plans to pull the CDs from its shelves, spokesman Guy Whitcomb told The (Hagerstown) Herald-Mail. He said the company will investigate the allegations. No hearing dates have been set.

"While Wal-Mart sets high standards, it would not be possible to eliminate every image, word or topic that an individual might find objectionable," Whitcomb told the newspaper.

He told the Herald-Mail that the song sample online was censored by Walmart.com, a separate division of Wal-Mart.

Whitcomb didn't return telephone calls Friday from The Associated Press.

The lawsuit also names as defendants Wind-up Records LLC, the New York-based company that recorded the music and decided not to apply parental-advisory stickers; and distributor BMG Entertainment, a subsidiary of Sony BMG Music Entertainment, of New York.

Sony BMG declined to comment on the lawsuit. Wind-up didn't return calls from the AP.

The Skeens' lawyer, Jon D. Pels of Bethesda, said he aims to "take this case national, even if that means going state by state."

He dismissed Whitcomb's suggestion that Wal-Mart stores didn't know about the censored version of the song. "They are a multimillion-dollar corporation and they certainly can communicate among their various entities," he said.

I know that lawyers perform a useful function, by protecting us from harmful products and practices, but how damaging is a word?
Shysters love this stuff. $74,500.......each?
I'd be more inclined to be after the record company for not putting the advisory on the label. I'd bet the sound clip on Walmart.com came directly from the record company.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
These sorts of suits always smell of a set up to me.

It is the way the ACLU works, too.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Custer said:
These sorts of suits always smell of a set up to me.

It is the way the ACLU works, too.

I'd say Custer is right. Walmart is one of the few companies that does attempt to keep filth out of their music section. I'd guess once they found out what was contained in that music, Walmart removed it from their shelves, even though there is no law against selling such stuff.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I also seen a site on the net that said WalMart is being sued over a suicide. Firearms were mentioned in the excerpt, but I couldn't get the whole story. It was a subsciption site to get the full story.

Anyboby heard anything on this?

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
A few years ago I was not aware that Walmart altered CD's and had bought one there. I was shocked to hear words edited out so I took it back, as I considered it defective. I argued with them for something like twenty minutes before they gave me my money back. I don't tolerate censorship, especially in items I pay for!
Now they open themselves up to a dumbass lawsuit by promoting censorship, can't say I feel bad for them. Not that I agree with the lawsuit, just more bloodsuckers.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Polish Taipan said:
A few years ago I was not aware that Walmart altered CD's and had bought one there. I was shocked to hear words edited out so I took it back, as I considered it defective. I argued with them for something like twenty minutes before they gave me my money back. I don't tolerate censorship, especially in items I pay for!
Now they open themselves up to a dumbass lawsuit by promoting censorship, can't say I feel bad for them. Not that I agree with the lawsuit, just more bloodsuckers.
I don't believe Walmart alters the CDs. I think they simply refuse to sell music if it has trash talk in it. If the record company will sell versions of that music without the obscenities, then Walmart will buy it and put it on their shelves. It's not censorship, it's Walmarts right to decide what type of music they want to sell. If anyone doesn't want what Walmart has to offer, they can go somewhere else. It's a free country.

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
The inhumanity of it.

But what of the children who have been horribly scarred by this traumatizing song? Who will grow up to be gang bangers,waste their lives in sin and mysery and all on account of hearing the word "fuck." My heart is brimming with purple urine.The selfless love I have for all the innocent people who lost their virginity over this is overwhelming me with compassion. I am wringing my hands with worry.

Another "Exciting new area of practice" for the bloodsuckers........no doubt.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
People complain about them dominating the market and freezing out the little guys.

The fact that Walmart will not carry certain items opens up a niche for small retailers if they are inclined to exploit it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts