Gunco Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not had any problems with 7.62x51, 7.62x39, 5.45x39 and 5.56x45 milsurp steel case ammo. I do scrub the chamber after I shoot any ammo brass or steel.

·
gunco irregular
3,579 Posts
Same here, no issues. 30 years ago when the steel case 223 started to get popular my buddy was asking about it but heard it would ruin your gun. So we got a case and shot it. Couldn't tell any difference other than like most comblock ammo it had that weird smell to it. Shot a lot of it over the years.

Reactions: Tommo

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I think it a little funny that they didn't mention that a lot of steel cased ammo has BiMetal bullets. That is a steel jacketed lead bullet. So you will have steel on steel sliding down your barrel. It does cause premature wearing on the barrel. If it is a gun the the barrel is easily replaced it could be used as a cost saving round, but if it is a antique weapon or one that barrels are hard to find you don't want to be shooting the BiMetal rounds.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The real difference is the BIMETAL jacket of the projectile that typically steel case ammo has with it. Harder on barrels than copper. The steel case vs brass is irrelevant. I would argue that the steel case is better for a few reasons:

-easy to police cases at range with magnet
-steel can withstand higher pressures than brass
-steel is cheaper than brass, typically

1 - 5 of 5 Posts