Gunco Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently acquired a fairly minty Stevens 311A. From what I've read on the 'net, they're sorta the Chevy of side-by-side doubles. Anyway, got a couple of questions...

1. The firing pins on 311's don't retract. Actually, the one for my right-hand barrel does, but not that for the left, upon mucking about on the 'net found that more typically neither retracts - and because of that it's often difficult to break the gun open after firing because the firing pins will still be indented into the primers of the fired shells.

Anyone know of a way to get the firing pins on a 311 to retract?

2. The weapon has no serial number - and nowhere that I can see where it used to have a serial number. Receiver is color-case hardened, so if it had been filed/ground off it would show. Upon mucking about in the net, found that pre-68 311's typically do not have a serial number.

Now, this is weird. I had thought that long before the 1968 Gun Control Act (which would explain, perhapse, the pre-68 deal), that all firearms were required to be serial numbered. Anyone know what the deal is on this?

[I'm very pleased with my acquisition. I've wanted a quality no-frills 12-gauge side-by-side for some time now.]

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aha! Here's where I asked the question. Asked it again today in another thread. Haven't yet quite figured out how to navigate this site. (Have new question on whether anyone knows how to make a 311 either open a bit wider, or at least not have a tendency to re-close a bit - extraction and replacement of shells is difficult).

Yeah, I've never seen a firearm without a serial number before other than some serious antiques.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Where the forearm frame fits into the front of the receiver is a friction point...
...put some valve grinding compound in both areas
...put the muzzle end of the barrels on the floor
...hold the tang lever open
...open-close the receiver a hundred times or so

Another suggestion to reduce friction ... more grinding compounding to the pin areas of the extractors.

...and slobber up the plunger too... gets the burrs out of the plunger hole

Wipe and clean the grinding compund off, hit it with some of your favorite oil, put a couple of DUMMY shells in and see how it works when you pop the receiver

Stevens 311's are notarious for not fully opening.

I've seen several old guns with no serial number, it ain't a big deal.Before the Gun Control act of 1969 I don't believe that they were required.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Lupe.

Ran across some info, purporting that if one replaces the fore-end plunger on the 311 with the fore-end plunger from a 511, the problem goes away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts