Gunco Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Update on this build

ok I took so time today to finish up the cuts to the receiver, I got to do a wee bit of file work to clean up the edges

I did the bottom of the receiver using existing photos and Mikes diagram to measure the distances
photo 1

then I cut the ejection port I will flair out the inside edges once I fire the rifle and see how it function
photo 2

here is what she looks like assembled and functioning
Photo 3

Guess the next thing is too decide to paint the receiver or rust blue it ( Im partial to rust blue)
then I will replace the rear sight and cartridge indicator

guess i am a member of the STG-57 club

Attachments

·
3/6 Infantry
4,766 Posts
My hat's off to you, brother. It's been a long time coming, but worth it.

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
Doesn't Gunkote have a spray on blue finish now? Looks like a blue but isn't? A thought sir.
And would cover any weld marks.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If I were building a silly ak 47 then I would use that stuff

this pure Teutonic craftmanship it deserves the real thing and rust blue it shall be

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
ok so going slow as time permits

So the other night I decide to locate some old templetes, Sweap ( doug ) made for me for another project years ago . Doug was a very active member here ,who passed away a few years back. he lives on in this build, as of now, doug is a contributor.

then out came the vinegar, salt & battery charger with a few Q-tips
here are a few before and after pictures

then I decided today, it was time to flair out the ejection port ends like the originals, I used a long flat heavy duty screwdriver going very slow, the flaired ends came out nice.

I ordered a few brass swiss 7.5mm armourers rounds from Liberty Tree to see how the rifle feeds and ejects, I may also use them to check head space

I have to leave for a business trip this week, so I will start the rust blue on the receiver when I return

Attachments

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
ok so going slow as time permits

So the other night I decide to locate some old templetes, Sweap ( doug ) made for me for another project years ago . Doug was a very active member here ,who passed away a few years back. he lives on in this build, as of now, doug is a contributor.

then out came the vinegar, salt & battery charger with a few Q-tips
here are a few before and after pictures

then I decided today, it was time to flair out the ejection port ends like the originals, I used a long flat heavy duty screwdriver going very slow, the flaired ends came out nice.

I ordered a few brass swiss 7.5mm armourers rounds from Liberty Tree to see how the rifle feeds and ejects, I may also use them to check head space

I have to leave for a business trip this week, so I will start the rust blue on the receiver when I return
Miss that man. Nice guy.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So I had time over the weekend, and it took most of the weekend on and off I rust blued the receiver. I will do a further detailed tutorial ( did one before on this site) using Laurel Mountain

here are a few pic's starting with the bare metal and successive coats and final coat

Attachments

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
here is a picture of the final product or should I say its a rifle now
I got a few more items to tweek

I assembled the chamber load indicator and carry handle last night, then after many attempts I installed the rear sight this will need to be adjusted at the range

I greased up the receiver interior with swiss army grease I got my cleaning kit from Libety Tree it had metal grease cans full of grease

here is picture of the rifle

it has been a long hard road, thanks to all who gave advice

Attachments

·
aka: SDK1968
7,741 Posts
awesome work as always !

im very glad to see you building again! not just because it you building... im glad that your health recovered enough to allow you to do this!

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks Sean for the compliment,

here are few more clearer pictures of the final rifle outdoors with some Swiss Splinttermuster M-31 camo

boy this site has gone down hill

Attachments

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
You've recreated a piece of Swiss artistry. And my congratulations to you. It's gorgeous sir.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts