Gunco Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, are there any specific or special rules that we have to follow while having a C&R that concerns the storage of our guns? I am completely out of space, and I am having to use all kinds of different places to put them. The wife is getting really pissed too. If the weapon is outside of a gun cabinet does it have to be locked and/or secured? And no, I don't have any kids. Has anyone else ran out of space and resorted to stashing them in some really weird places?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shit I have a buddy who has them in the closet, under the bed, against the walls in his room, stacked in the corner, in the guest room closet, under the guest room bed, and basically anyplace that is large enough to put a gun. I personally have all of mine in safes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can keep the bolts locked up in the safe, that frees up lots of room ;) .

:D

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
yosuthnmasa said:
First, are there any specific or special rules that we have to follow while having a C&R that concerns the storage of our guns? I am completely out of space, and I am having to use all kinds of different places to put them. The wife is getting really pissed too. If the weapon is outside of a gun cabinet does it have to be locked and/or secured? And no, I don't have any kids. Has anyone else ran out of space and resorted to stashing them in some really weird places?

No Federal requirement, but there might be some goofy local law somewhere about gun locks and such.

Since my kids are grown, I worry more about theft than safety.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good, because I have them in about every place that Bush Sniper has mentioned. No gun cabinet though. Can't justify spending the money on one, when I could buy so many other guns with that money. I am literally running out of space to lean them up against the walls. I have them under the bed, in every conceivable corner, behind doors (including the front), and any free space leaned against the wall that I can find. And pistols, they are everywhere too. In the drawer, on top of the drawer, on top of the TV, still in the box....I'm sure glad there isn't any rule about having to have locks or anything. Although it would be a good thing to have them locked up. Does anyone know of a place where you can buy really really cheap locks for rifles?

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
yosuthnmasa said:
Good, because I have them in about every place that Bush Sniper has mentioned. No gun cabinet though. Can't justify spending the money on one, when I could buy so many other guns with that money. I am literally running out of space to lean them up against the walls. I have them under the bed, in every conceivable corner, behind doors (including the front), and any free space leaned against the wall that I can find. And pistols, they are everywhere too. In the drawer, on top of the drawer, on top of the TV, still in the box....I'm sure glad there isn't any rule about having to have locks or anything. Although it would be a good thing to have them locked up. Does anyone know of a place where you can buy really really cheap locks for rifles?
Remember this can make you a magnent for theft! Mayb you should consider converting a closet over to a safe?

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
SangRun Hunter said:
Remember this can make you a magnent for theft! Mayb you should consider converting a closet over to a safe?

I have the same problem. Everything is out on display in a nice gun rack in my den...or as my wife calls it, The War Room.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our place is kinda like Fort Knox and not many people know I own alot of guns. Generally not too many visitors through the front door either. Converting a closet to store my guns does sound like a good idea. I could make some really nice racks in it, or just stand them up and down so I can fit more in it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My grandpa had a lot of nice stuff stolen when I was a kid back in the earily 80s and he never real got his collection back to what it was before the robbery.

I learned a lesson from this and I have a big safe.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Guys don't think anything about spending $2000 - $3000 on guns but won't spend a dime protecting them.

Buy a vault/safe and forget about it. It will ease your mind and protect what you like most.

Check around for vaults/safes in the paper, I got a double door 1750 lb. safe for just removing it. The guy who owned it said it would cost him $350.00 to have it removed. It was a lot of work using Johnson Bars to move it around (the wheels were flat from setting in one place) and I thought the small trailer I used to get it would collapse but I made it home and then modified it to be a gun safe.

Do what you gotta do but PROTECT those guns!!!!!

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
1,781 Posts
I bought a solid core door and am in the process of getting a commercial vertical rod lock system for it. Throw in hurricane resistant window tinting and some discreet security bars. Then a loud ass siren and video if they do get in and I'll have a gunroom that will make someone work to get into. :D

I have ideas for strengthing up the walls too, just in case I get paranoid about the sheetrock and paneling getting booted in ;)

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Toten Kopf said:
Guys don't think anything about spending $2000 - $3000 on guns but won't spend a dime protecting them.

Buy a vault/safe and forget about it. It will ease your mind and protect what you like most.

Check around for vaults/safes in the paper, I got a double door 1750 lb. safe for just removing it. The guy who owned it said it would cost him $350.00 to have it removed. It was a lot of work using Johnson Bars to move it around (the wheels were flat from setting in one place) and I thought the small trailer I used to get it would collapse but I made it home and then modified it to be a gun safe.

Do what you gotta do but PROTECT those guns!!!!!
Why do I never find people that want to get rid of stuff like this?

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you are going to spend good money on all of these firearms you owe it to yourself (and society) to do your best to keep them from walking away.

If you have soo many that they are everywhere try building a secure gun room. For the $2000 or $3000 you'd spend on a safe (that wouldn't hold many) you could buy a safe like entry door and build a solid block room in your basement. Heck , you'd probably have enough left for a dehumidifier.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Triangle 66 said:
If you are going to spend good money on all of these firearms you owe it to yourself (and society) to do your best to keep them from walking away.

If you have soo many that they are everywhere try building a secure gun room. For the $2000 or $3000 you'd spend on a safe (that wouldn't hold many) you could buy a safe like entry door and build a solid block room in your basement. Heck , you'd probably have enough left for a dehumidifier.

Perhaps my statements have been a bit misleading. At present, I live in a portion of a house that I'm renting. There isn't as much space as one would want to believe. This is the reason for the firearms being in so many places. In about a month we are moving to an apartment,and I think I may convert one of the bigger closest to a gun storage room. Luckily at this point, we don't have any kids and I have quite a few gun cases that are lockable or securable. I'm still debating on how I'm going to transport all of these safely and not draw any attention, especially when I move into the apartment. Anyone know if apartments have special restrictions on firearms?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ah, now the picture is a little clearer. The closet at the new apartment sounds like a good prospect.

How to move them ?

Recently , when I did it, I got one black gun case and moved them one at a time. I moved them l-a-t-e at night ( really in the early am),and it took a long time (weeks), I was lucky to have the luxury of taking my time .

This worked well , as the neighbors didn't see anything 'gunlike' because when I carried the case I was discreet. Also, if by chance they saw anything unusual it was me carting ONE gun case back and forth.

I've also hear of people using and old golf bag , which would allow you to carry more than one at a time and not raise any red flags. Just remember when the nieghbors ask how your golf game is to tell them that it sucks and that is why you are always carting around these stupid clubs. :thumbup1:

Unless you live in a housing project or some wacky place like Kalifornia there should be no restrictions as far as guns and an apartment. If you are in doubt, check the lease BEFORE you sign it.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

That sounds like a great plan! I will use a golf bag. But, will make sure and put a towel or something over the top. This way I can carry quite a few of them in at one time. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts