1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.news.com/

Study: Laptop heat a threat to fertility

By Dawn Kawamoto
http://news.com.com/Study+Laptop+heat+a+threat+to+fertility/2100-1044_3-5485763.html

Story last modified Thu Dec 09
11:17:00 PST 2004

Laptop or fertility, which would you choose?

A study by State University of New York researchers says heat generated from laptops can significantly elevate the temperature of the scrotum, potentially putting sperm count at risk.

And for the growing segment of the working world that relies on laptops, a dilemma may emerge on whether to be productive at work or in the bedroom.

"An elevation in heat has been known for years to cause fertility problems...and the heat from laptops is very localized, with exposure repeated often, depending on work use," said Dr. Yefim Sheynkin, who led the research team behind the study.

The study, which included more than two dozen men ages 21 to 35, found that the sitting position required to balance a laptop can raise scrotum temperature by as much as 2.1 degrees Celsius, Sheynkin said. Heat from the laptop itself can raise the temperature by another 0.7 C, bringing the potential total increase to 2.8 C.

"Because our study found the scrotum temperature can go up significantly, we plan to take a more in-depth look at how laptop use can directly affect sperm production and quality," Sheynkin said, adding that he hopes to undertake the new project sometime next year.

European fertility studies, meanwhile, have shown that in general, an increase in scrotum temperature by 1 C can reduce sperm count by as much as 40 percent, Sheynkin said.

Heat generated from laptops is nothing new. A couple of cases have emerged over the years of laptops catching fire due to defective batteries or faulty AC adapters. Laptop users have been known to use pillows, books or other items on their laps to buffer the heat emitted from portable computers.

But before hardware makers rush out to develop new laptop peripherals designed to protect fertility, Sheynkin has a word of caution.

"Devices or pads to protect the scrotum are not a bad idea, but these would need to be investigated and tested before putting out just another gadget for people to use," Sheynkin said. "Depending on the position people use to balance the laptop and how close their thighs are, the scrotum temperature can still go up."

Copyright ?1995-2004 CNET Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey guys, just studied Embryology in Med. School which included spermatogenesis (formation of sperm). Yes, healthy sperm have be produced at 1-2 degrees below normal body temp., but infertility from increased testicular heat is not permenant...whenever the temp. falls, you will produce healthy sperm again.

I show a study done by 3 graduate students in England how submerged their testicles in 98-99 degree water for something like 20-30 everyday as contraception. It worked, there sperm counts dramatically decreased, but when they didn't do this heating, their sperm counts almost immediately(24 hrs.) went back to normal.

·
Class 07 FFL/SOT
6,297 Posts
Teabagging...............

So if I put my balls in my sweeties mouth for a while.....I will shoot duds? Mmmmmmm teabaging........so good.......

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
That's why the old wives tale is for a man to wear briefs, not boxers if he wants to get his wife pregnant.

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
1,604 Posts
This is pure bull. I am one of those poeple that is always cold. I have heated seats in my car, and I have been fond of sitting on hot air duct registers since I was a small child. Heck, I have a ceramic hearter on the floor at my feet right now. All those put way more heat on the ol' captian than some laptop, and I was very fertile before my recent vasectomy.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
For 5 years I have sat on and off everynight with a laptop on my lap. Getting my wife pregnant twice was no effort. Each time we hardly tried and infact our 2nd was a mistake. One time without birth control and wham we were expecting baby number 2. I knew that night she was going to pregnant, but she just laughed it off. 2 weeks later she wasn't feeling so well in the morning!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
If its true, I will start sitting on the couch with my laptop on my lap. My wife and I are done having children! Nada, none, no more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts