Gunco Forums banner

Stump the C&R Guys - What rifle did "The Rifleman" use?

677 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  scubadvr 
#1 ·
Click here to hear the Rifleman theme.

Many of you grew up watching The Rifleman. One reviewer wrote, " As long as McCain had that Winchester, he was the toughest and smartest man on Earth, able to solve any problem at home or in town."* Indeed, Connors, a professional athlete, could fire 11 shots in 2.5 seconds, or so it seemed in the opening music score. Actually, the rifle only held ten rounds, so they added an extra one to fit the music. So, what rifle or rifles did the sod-busting character, Lucas McCain, use in the series? Here is a pic:

Chuck Connors played Lucas McCain, "The Rifleman."

*See, TV Party.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have no idea what make his famous rifle was, that's a interesting question.

You are correct about being a athlete as well as an actor
He played here in Boston with the Celtics for a short stint, (before my time) and I believe he also played some professional baseball.

#4 ·
At least he doesn't have his finger on the trigger like most actors would. Didn't you post this question on that other site? Never did hear the answer before I got banned. Like I said over there, I remember reading something to the effect that it was a made up prop gun, but now I gotta know! What's the answer, what's the answer?? :hyper: GG

#6 ·
I believe it was a Winchester carbine 1892 with a custom lever that was enlarged.
EDIT
I was still typing while Max posted his link so I didn't cheat. Good link Max!!

Also what caliber was it?

#7 ·
Good job!

gordon gauge said:
At least he doesn't have his finger on the trigger like most actors would. Didn't you post this question on that other site? Never did hear the answer before I got banned. Like I said over there, I remember reading something to the effect that it was a made up prop gun, but now I gotta know! What's the answer, what's the answer?? :hyper: GG
Yep, Gordon! It was posted there. It is a trick question, though. 7.62X39 found the correct answer in record time. Good job, guy!

Many thought it was a Winchester 73, "The Rifle That Won The West," but it was a later Winchester lever action rifle, Model 1892. Here's the trick part. Three rifles were used in the series. Two were modified Winchester 92s, and the third was a Spanish clone, an El Tigre!

#8 ·
On a side note, I think Connors played a little bit of first base for the Dodgers.

I loved that show. I know this sounds stupid, but the relationship between father and son in that show was something I kept with me and tried to emulate when I raised my son.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.