Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thread on Hamburger Helper got me to thinking. What's your favorite survival recipe? i.e. easily prepared, tasty, and reasonably nutritious bachelor food. Mine's tuna casserole:

1/2 pound or so of noodles, boiled
1/2 pound or so frozen peas
1 or 2 cans of Campbell's consensed mushroom soup. Gotta be Campbell's.
1 or 2 cans of tuna

Mix it all together, put it in a casserole dish, bake at 350 degrees for around 45 minutes or so.

For the gourmet touch, crush some soda crackers over the top of it before you bake it.

Another favorite:

Baked chicken. Take a chicken and remove the guts. Wash it, dry it, put it on a roasting pan and bake it at 350 degrees or so for an hour or so. Complicated family recipe handed down through the generations.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Custer said:
Huh? Phone number of a local pizza joint that delivers?

·
Angry White Man
3,379 Posts
As a former terminally single guy, I use to make what I called survival biscuits. Took them with me traveling. Nothing special really, just regular bisquick biscuits with a few extras added like oatmeal, raisons, chopped nuts, wheat germ, etc. They end up slightly hard like hard tack, but keep well and satisfy the gut when you're on the road or in the hills hiking.

·
Registered
276 Posts
PBJ's on whole grain bread with fruit only jelly.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RetVet, gordon, think I'll pass on dinner at your house, thanks just the same.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
My 3 pot dinner when Mrs. Sang is fedup and wants me to cook.

Frying pan Hillshire farms Kielbasa fried up with spices, onion, and veggies sometimes.
Medium sauce pan Mac&Cheese or Noodles
Small sauce pan Green bean, Sucatash, or other.

Mrs. Sang doesn't appreciate my lack of creativity and opts to make her own food quite often. :D

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Custer said:
Do I need to post my hunter's stew a.k.a hobo stew again?
Yep. I somehow missed it.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
You can use hamburger and make patties, but my wife buys lean sirloin patties now that she monitors my diet all the time. Get the large size aluminum foil rolls.

Put the amount of patties you want onto a fairly large piece of foil. I usually put 2-3 patties into one packet and cook one packet to eat and one to reheat for another meal.

I put worchestershire on the meat and some coarse black pepper. You could use any type of meat flavoring you like such as soy, or nothing if that appeals to you.

Cut potatos, onions and carrots into slices not more than 1/4 thick and put them into the packet with the meat. How much you use depends on the veggies you like best and how big you want the packet to be. I happen to be a carrot freak, so I use a lot of them. Depends on size, but I would say 2-3 potatos, 2 onions and 6 carrots is typical. I often use more when the meal is not just for me.

I also add a small amount of sliced pieces of celery for flavor but not too much as it can overwhelm the taste. I often add cherry tomatoes for juice and flavor if I have them.

Fold up the packet carefully, with a good overlap at the top so the juices don't come out when you cook it and flip it.

I put the packets on my grill at about 400 degrees for 17 minutes per side. It can vary from grill to grill and also depends on how well done you like everything.

When done, pick out what you want and toss out the foil.

When outdoors you can dig a fire pit and bury the packet in the coals and cover it up and it will cook in about 1/2 the time.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

I pride myself in my culinary experties, however, if no one is around to taste my work I'll resort myself to the old stand-by college meal.

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
You'd be surprised how good Ramen noodles are when you add thinly sliced steak that was marinated in red wine.

My personal favorite 5-minute meal is the pre-cooked southwest chicken strips. Mix these with egg noodles and a glob of ranch salad dressing. Serve with a decent Pilsner beer (maybe even a ***** Modello or John Courage Irish Amber) or a Rum-and-Coke.

My current Rum-and-Coke is Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum and Vanilla Coke. Just different enough to really enjoy.

If I have time, Steak Chili is a hands down winner.

As a bachelor, I rely heavily on the George Foreman grill. As long as I'm careful, nothing dries out. It lacks the open flame taste, but living in an apartment without a balcony has it's limitations...

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I never thought the Foreman grill would be good but after using it, I changed my mind.

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
I have a Foreman's grill, my kids use it, I have tried a couple of times and I donm't like the way it cooks, maybe I haven't read the directions well, but having a gas grill about 15 feet away, I go for the gas.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Custer said:
You can use hamburger and make patties, but my wife buys lean sirloin patties now that she monitors my diet all the time. Get the large size aluminum foil rolls....
I'm gonna remember that one. Sounds sorta like an instant pot roast.

·
Angry White Man
3,379 Posts
Custer, your hobo stew is what we typically fix at Boy Scout camps. They call them silver turtles. Good stuff.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Angel does a dish that's a real good with little preparation time:

Put boneless chicken breast in a bakable dish. Add mixed vegatables. Pour cream of chicken(Campbells or off brand) soup, not dilluted, over chicken and veggies. Bake at 450 for 45 minutes or until chicken is done.

Something you can throw together in 2 minutes, but tastes like a gourmet meal.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Preacher said:
Angel does a dish that's a real good with little preparation time:

Put boneless chicken breast in a bakable dish. Add mixed vegatables. Pour cream of chicken(Campbells or off brand) soup, not dilluted, over chicken and veggies. Bake at 450 for 45 minutes or until chicken is done.

Something you can throw together in 2 minutes, but tastes like a gourmet meal.
Dang Preacher.............my wife does that one also.:)

EDIT: Cream of mushroom soup works well too.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
RetVet said:
Custer, your hobo stew is what we typically fix at Boy Scout camps. They call them silver turtles. Good stuff.
That's where I learned it. At least 40 years ago.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts