Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd rather fight Mike Tyson than to take down and box up all this Christmas stuff. Rachel's pretty upset because she want's to leave everything up,,,tree included!

I've just explained to her that it is bad luck to leave the tree up after the New Year. Hahaha,,,,wait until she see's what we're having for dinner tomorrow. HOPPIN-JOHN and COLLARD GREENS!!!!! She's gonna just love that.(not):D

·
No Member
1,941 Posts
75_stingray said:
I'd rather fight Mike Tyson than to take down and box up all this Christmas stuff. Rachel's pretty upset because she want's to leave everything up,,,tree included!

I've just explained to her that it is bad luck to leave the tree up after the New Year. Hahaha,,,,wait until she see's what we're having for dinner tomorrow. HOPPIN-JOHN and COLLARD GREENS!!!!! She's gonna just love that.(not):D
What the heck is HOPPIN-JOHN ?:dunno:

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tjames1 said:
What the heck is HOPPIN-JOHN ?:dunno:
Hoppin-John is basicly white rice and black eye peas which are cooked together in one big pot.
Black-eyed peas,(Hoppin-John) and collard greens are Southern traditions on New Years Day. If eaten on New Years Day, black-eyed peas are supposed to bring you luck and collard greens are supposed to bring you wealth. Both are good any time of the year, though.

Hey, wadda I got to loose!:D
INGREDIENTS
INGREDIENTS:

* 1 cup chopped onion
* 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
* 2 cans (about 16 ounces each) black-eyed peas, slightly drained, or about 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas
* 1 cup chopped cooked ham
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
* 3 cups hot cooked rice
* salt to taste
* sliced sweet onion, optional

PREPARATION:
In a large saucepan saut? chopped onion in bacon drippings until tender. Stir in black-eyed peas, ham, and cayenne pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes; stir in hot cooked rice and salt. Serve Hoppin' John hot with sliced onion.
Hoppin' John recipe serves 4 to 6.:

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cephus said:
Yea and what you are doing now is setting the future. We did the samething with all of ours and now they are doing with there's .When I go to there houses and hear my words coming out of there mouths the felling is one of pride and love. You keep doing it it will hold up take my word for it. And one day you'll know that feeling. GOOD JOB DAD.
You're right Cephus, everything that I do is a direct result of the way I was raised. As a child I remember my Mom doing all the ole time traditional stuff, not just during the holiday's, but everyday.
Every Sunday after church was REAL fried chicken, fresh snap beans, fried okra, mashed potato's and sweet tea. ALL REAL!

During Christmas we would thread needles and string cramberries and popcorn for the Christmas Tree. I can still remember it like it was yesterday,,,,,,10 kernals of popcorn and 5 cramberries,,,10 kernals of popcorn and 5 cramberries, ect, ect......;)

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
75_stingray said:
Every Sunday after church was REAL fried chicken, fresh snap beans, fried okra, mashed potato's and sweet tea. ALL REAL!
When I was a kid that was our Sunday dinner also. But then I grew up in Tennessee.:)

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
75_stingray said:
Black-eyed peas,(Hoppin-John) and collard greens are Southern traditions on New Years Day.
Around here it' sauer kraut and pork.:)

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Cephus said:
It's what we pass on everyday that sticks with them.
Yeah, "Do as I say and not as I do" doesn't work well.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
In my area it's corn beef and cabbage for New Years. Yum! :chinese:

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
75_stingray said:
You're right Cephus, everything that I do is a direct result of the way I was raised. As a child I remember my Mom doing all the ole time traditional stuff, not just during the holiday's, but everyday.
Yummmmmmm!! sounds like my Grandmother's house when I was a kid.

·
Registered
214 Posts
sausage gravy and biscuits....or fried taters, bacon/sausage, eggs, toast...after morning service....does it for me.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Tomorrow (New Years Day) I'll be having ham, blackeye peas & cornbread.
Oh yeah..........and pineapple upside down cake and cherry pie..........all home made.:)

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
My mother was born and raised in Virginia.

Every Sunday was fried chicken. The best I ever had. My wife, who is a fantastic cook has given up trying to duplicate my Mom's chicken.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
We normally do ham or pork but my son is in Chicago and my daughter and son in law have plans so I am going to get a nice crock pot of beef stew today.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Custer said:
Every Sunday was fried chicken. The best I ever had. My wife, who is a fantastic cook has given up trying to duplicate my Mom's chicken.
I had deep fried chicken las night and it was really good. They were done in a propane turkey frier.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
My wife, always looking out for me, has really cut back on my fried food.

She bakes my chicken now but puts a light coating of oil on it (peanut oil?) and it gets very crispy in the oven. You would swear it was fried.

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
I just took down all the stuff today.
Outside I had 2 deer to take down.
26 strings of lights (50 LIGHTS PER STRAND)
The tree was almost 9 feet tall.
It had 9 strands of lights on it.
Basically took me 1/2 day to do it.
Now got to put the crap in the attic....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts