Gunco Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Why would you need a bottom tap?"
"Would'nt a Plug tap work just as well?"

I'm replying to a post on another forum, And don't know how to word it.
Give me some help guys, I'm trying to help a guy that's alittle impatient.
Thanks....Shadow

·
Registered
681 Posts
if the barrel is installed in the trunnion, you won't have clearance for the tapered part of a plug tap to run through the hole without hitting on the barrel, and you wouldn't get a full thread cut in the hole. a bottom tap would be needed to achieve this, or jus break the tapered part off, like I usually end up doing.

·
Registered
681 Posts
ummm... I was joking... a bottom tap has very little to no taper, and sometimes when you break em off, you can do a little creative grinder work and make a bottom tap out of them. crude, but nontheless effective.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I have used the taper tap too by snapping off the tip. here is what I did . well first of all I honestly do not highly recomend this but if it is all you got.... I started all the holes with the tap and got as far as I could with a new taper tap. then carefully touched the tap to the grinder on all three sides notching it so it would brake ware I wanted it to. do not get it hot!!! after it is broken I grind the new tip flat , quenching in oil often !!!! now I just touch the first thread or two to the grinder, all the way around, ever so slightly to give a tiny taper. even spin it in your fingers with the tip against the grinding wheel. now you have a bottom tap. pretty much.. Go VERY slow backing off a lot more often than with a taper tap, use TAP oil. do not force it instead go in and out often. you have to realy feel if it stops cutting and just stops turning. again do not force it or it will snap. If you are not familiar with the feel of a tap working I highly recomend you buy GOOD quality taper and bottom seperatly. again GOOD QUALITY. a tap is NOT a tool to cheap out on, a good one only cost a few more bucks that a POS. maby buy from a welding supply but NOT a discount auto part store.

how about you SKS
did I miss anything or did you use a differant approach to it. :)

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
well I see you have posted while I was typing... hay you know me I am allways rigging something up out of nouthing. I did my amd 63 this way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts