Gunco Forums banner

Tapco flats for ak47! what about ak74?

505 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bullet175 
#1 ·
I have a 555th jig...and have bent two flats for ak47 builds so far.

I was wondering if you can use a tapco flat and change the rails to ak74?

if I can where can i buy the ak74 rails>?

thanks!

#3 ·
I've never built a '74 but from what I understand, you can use the rails that are sent with the flats from Tapco and cut them to size and make them work in a 74. I think they will work for both. I don't know what else is required to make a Tapco flat work with a 74. I assume it could be done if you can alter the magwell to function properly.

Yes a G2 will work and is probably a good idea for US parts.

#5 ·
Thanatos said:
I think if you want to use the TAPCO rails for an AK-74 you do not have to trim the rails. I think it's only for an AK-47 that you have to trim the rails. They are already cut for the smaller case.
I thought that the 5.45X39 cartridge was the 7.62X39 necked down to 5.45. The only difference, what I'm told, is the neck, and also the case walls before the shoulder are straightened out to increase case capacity. If so, why wouldn't the rails be the same?
I also need to get this straight, because I just ordered a receiver from Global Trades specifically to build a 74. They asked me what caliber the mag well needs to be machined for, but said nothing about the rails. I hope I don't have to be a dremeller since I paid the high dollar for the receiver.:help: :dunno: :confused: :cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.