Gunco Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will not make any more purchases at Target stores. Their anti Christian policy regarding the Salvation Army bell ringers is enought to make me sick. This is not just a small matter to me. Until we drag common sense back into this country all I can do is spit in the face of political correctness. Further, I refuse to allow political correctness to harm one of the most "Christian" organizations without saying something no matter how insignificant my voice may be. Jack

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
It shows how liberal minded people are. I know some libs that are highly offended by the Salvation army bell ringers. Most libs I know will not give one red cent to any charity.

That's okay though, the conservatives have shown how many we number now and I'm sure Target will be seeing a drop in sales this season.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I already don't shop at Target. Besides, there is very little in that store I'm interested in buying anyway. But, that gives me another reason to not shop there. The Salvation Army is one of the few charities I donate to.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Target does suck, it's all aimed at 18-24 year old females. They treat thier employees like crap too. I know, I used to work for them.

·
Registered
508 Posts
According to FOX news, the Salvation Army took $90,000,000 in donations from Target chain locations in 2003. Personally I don't consider myself a "liberal", nor do I find Target's business decision "anti-Christian". A quick peek at their policy shows they donate $104,000,000 per year to various charities, not only that but The Salvation Army is eligible to apply for grants from their organization.

http://target.com/target_group/community_giving/store_solicitation.jhtml

Rather than single out Target soley for a boycott,you might want to boycott all big businesses that won't have the holiday bellringers. The official designated "bellringer" locations are as follows:

2004 Kettle Locations

1.Big Lots
2.BJ's Wholesale Club
3.Books-a-Million
4.Circuit City
5.Hobby Lobby
6.Michael's Stores, Inc. (Aaron Brothers, Artistree, Star Decorators Wholesale Warehouse)
7.Peebles, Inc.
8.Simon Property Group/ Simon Malls
9.The May Dept. Stores ( Marshall Fields, Famous-Barr, Filene's, Foley's, Hecht's, Kaufman's, L.S. Ayers, Lord & Taylor, Meier & Frank, Robinson-May, Strawbridge's, The Sport's Authority
10.Walgreen Co.
11.Wal-Mart Foundation (Wal-Mart, Sam's Club)
12.Zamias Services Inc. / Shopping Mall Properties

Above list from the Salvation Army website:http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/www_usn.nsf/ce952dea4507ee7780256cf4005d2254/78942dd1ba333c8c80256f5600509806?OpenDocument

It appears quite a few of the larger national chains are missing from that list. Sears and K-mart come to mind as do others. Regardless you can also donate to The Salvation army thru their on-line Virtual Kettle":https://secure4.salvationarmy.org/donations.nsf/donate?openform&projectid=USN-USN_redshield

Happy Holidays!:santa:

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
1,604 Posts
Custer said:
Blame it on the National Labor Relations Board.
Indeed. The real reason many stores disallow the bell ringers has to do with the NLRB ruling that if you allow this type of solicitaion, you must also allow union solicitation.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
We are being unfair to Target and you are not going to read this in the paper as an explanation for their action:

NLRB Strikes Down Limit on Union Solicitation

Another year 2000 decision by a divided panel of the Board concerned a topic that is important for all employers targeted with a union organizing campaign -- the employer's right to prohibit union solicitation on its premises. In Albertson's, Inc., 332 N.L.R.B. No. 104 (2000), the Board held that the employers at issue unlawfully barred union members from distributing handbills outside several grocery stores.

Generally, an employer is permitted to bar solicitations by non-employee union organizers on company property so long as it also bars all other types of solicitations as well. In other words, so long as an employer's no-solicitation rule is non-discriminatory toward union activities, it is perfectly lawful under the NLRA.

In Albertson's, the Board found that the employer regularly granted access to its premises to several youth, school, and veterans organizations, as well as the Salvation Army, to solicit donations and sales. The employer argued that the civic and charitable groups whose solicitations were permitted were not comparable to a union and that it therefore did not unlawfully discriminate against unions by prohibiting their solicitations. Indeed, the employer put forth evidence that it consistently prohibited solicitations on its property by political groups and other non-charitable organizations.

The Board majority, however, ruled that the employer's prohibition of union solicitation was unlawful even in light of the employer's longstanding policy to permit "charitable" solicitations while prohibiting all "commercial" and political solicitations (including union solicitations).

The Board first determined that where solicitation by other organizations frequently is allowed, the fact that much of that solicitation is charitable or otherwise non-controversial does not preclude a finding of discrimination on the basis of the prohibition against union solicitation. Next, although the Board has recognized previously that an isolated exception to a no-solicitation policy to permit solicitation for charitable and other similar causes does not necessarily render a no-solicitation policy discriminatory and unlawful, the Board determined here that "the number and frequency of the solicitations permitted by the Respondent exceed the small number of isolated beneficent acts that the Board regards as a narrow exception to an otherwise valid, nondiscriminatory no-solicitation policy."

In light of Albertson's, all employers should review their no-solicitation policies and especially their actual practices in applying those policies. While many employers may be reluctant to apply their policies to prohibit all forms of solicitation, including solicitation by charitable organizations, they should be aware that permitting even limited exceptions may literally open the door to solicitation by union representatives.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Evil_WalksII said:
According to FOX news, the Salvation Army took $90,000,000 in donations from Target chain locations in 2003. Personally I don't consider myself a "liberal", nor do I find Target's business decision "anti-Christian". A quick peek at their policy shows they donate $104,000,000 per year to various charities, not only that but The Salvation Army is eligible to apply for grants from their organization.

http://target.com/target_group/community_giving/store_solicitation.jhtml

Rather than single out Target soley for a boycott,you might want to boycott all big businesses that won't have the holiday bellringers. The official designated "bellringer" locations are as follows:

2004 Kettle Locations

1.Big Lots
2.BJ's Wholesale Club
3.Books-a-Million
4.Circuit City
5.Hobby Lobby
6.Michael's Stores, Inc. (Aaron Brothers, Artistree, Star Decorators Wholesale Warehouse)
7.Peebles, Inc.
8.Simon Property Group/ Simon Malls
9.The May Dept. Stores ( Marshall Fields, Famous-Barr, Filene's, Foley's, Hecht's, Kaufman's, L.S. Ayers, Lord & Taylor, Meier & Frank, Robinson-May, Strawbridge's, The Sport's Authority
10.Walgreen Co.
11.Wal-Mart Foundation (Wal-Mart, Sam's Club)
12.Zamias Services Inc. / Shopping Mall Properties

Above list from the Salvation Army website:http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/www_usn.nsf/ce952dea4507ee7780256cf4005d2254/78942dd1ba333c8c80256f5600509806?OpenDocument

It appears quite a few of the larger national chains are missing from that list. Sears and K-mart come to mind as do others. Regardless you can also donate to The Salvation army thru their on-line Virtual Kettle":https://secure4.salvationarmy.org/donations.nsf/donate?openform&projectid=USN-USN_redshield

Happy Holidays!:santa:

Agreed, a lot of other big companies suck too. I will avoid business that won't allow the Salvation Army to accept donations on their property. I'm not overly impressed with Target's advertisement stating that they give $2 mil weekly to "education" "the arts" and "social services" (whatever all that mumbo jumbo means) You can bet it's all high visibility PC donations that they consider a good advertising write off.

The Salvation Army is one of the very few charities that is able to give more than about 30% of the donations to the intended beneficiaries. Most charities, especially the United Way eats up over 70% of the money donated thru administrative overehead (high paid executives). That just doesn't impress me as being as useful as giving directly to the Salvation Army.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Custer said:
Do you know the NLRB made an exception just for the United Way?
Sure, the United Way is a PC charity.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Thanks for the info Custer. And you're right you are not going to find that explanation of the causes in your newspaper.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Pogo said:
Sure, the United Way is a PC charity.
Exactly.

I have seen the NLRB go so far as ruling that employees posting things like "Free Kittens" on a bulletin board vioate the rule.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I understand the point about other store and companies. Target said they were not allowing them as not to offend anyone regarding religous beliefs. To that I say B..l S..t. I am sick and tired of having my faith take it on the chin while every other one is given respect and recognition. To be Christian in this country is to be put in a 3rd class position. I have never put down any other religion or lack there of, I don't care what any one does, just get off my Christian back!!! Christmas is a Christian Holiday, the profits of which Target will surely seek every penny. I feel slighted by them using Christmas to make money and then pass it off with their public relations p.c. crap. As for the others , I have not heard any reason why they may not have the Salvation Army bell ringers. Until I learn something to the contrary I will give them the benefit of the doubt. If they too try to shut traditional Christian icons yet try to profit out of Christian pockets, then I will boycott them too. Jack

1 - 16 of 16 Posts